LEO/Private Security scenario

This is a discussion on LEO/Private Security scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the layout for the scenario. You have three buildings to the campus arranged in a rectangular area. the main admin building where the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO/Private Security scenario

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

LEO/Private Security scenario

Here is the layout for the scenario. You have three buildings to the campus arranged in a rectangular area. the main admin building where the presidents office is, that has two police officers downstairs, and one private security officer on the presidents office door. That security officer travels with the president at all times to ensure her personal security. There is another security officer stationed in a secondary building behind the building to the south and a church on the west side between the two buildings. You are the officer stationed with the president. When enroute to the church main entrance on the southside of the building, a gun man opens fire on you with a handgun. Would your main priority be to evacuate the principle or would it be to return fire and hope your backup arrives in time to evacuate her. How would you handle this situation with one officer and a group of people with the president as secondary principals. How would it be different with a higher caliber weapon. You are in class B uniform with only your duty weapon. Have fun with it. BTW, the officer with the principle would be considered the number 1 officer for those with the training for this kind of detail. I am just starting out on my personal protection training so this is what i was wondering
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

According to a manual I've seen on this general scenario, you're supposed to get in between the principle and the shooter, make yourself as large a target as possible and return fire. How well this works will depend on your skill, speed and accuracy.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

That security officer travels with the president at all times to ensure her personal security.
    I wonder if the students are allowed CC on this campus or do they get a personal body guard too?

If you're detailed to protect the principal you protect the principal. Watch video of the Reagan assisnation attempt, the SS W/ him never even responded to the gun fire they grabbed him and shoved him into the car and got the hell out of Dodge.

According to most Board of Regents' directions...

Shots fired on campus? Do nothing for about 2 hours, then send an email to all students notifying them of the potential problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reality, you do your job...protect the college president above all else. That's your first and only obligation.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 11th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I am just starting out on my personal protection training so this is what i was wondering
    Pay attention in training! My guess on past experience is that no one that is well, and professionally trained is going to discuss the ins and outs of protective detail work on an open forum, that's giving the game plan away!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Seems unlikely that a school president would have a detail unless there was a specific threat but...

Generally the drill is for the agents to evacuate the protectee. With proper planning and advance work there is always an evac or fall back position. The detail's job is to get the protectee safely from point a to b, not to engage in a firefight.

Lacking these, geography and opportunity to target may dictate escalation.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Pay attention in training! My guess on past experience is that no one that is well, and professionally trained is going to discuss the ins and outs of protective detail work on an open forum, that's giving the game plan away!
    I'm no longer active. I guess that why I didn't mind answering in vauge terms.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Administrator
    The scenario did not say that this was a school only that it was a campus. The word campus simply means that the buildings of said institution are arranged in a aesthetically pleasing or park like setting.

Anyway, if you are supposed to be protecting the a VIP, your job is not necessarily to return fire. Its to get out of Dodge. If firing is required to get the VIP to safety then so be it. There is no way the correct answer is to make yourself a target when you are the last line of defense to the VIP... unless he is right on top of you and there is no other choice. At that point, you have already failed anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool

Neutralize the threat.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The scenario did not say that this was a school only that it was a campus. The word campus simply means that the buildings of said institution are arranged in a aesthetically pleasing or park like setting.

Anyway, if you are supposed to be protecting the a VIP, your job is not necessarily to return fire. Its to get out of Dodge. If firing is required to get the VIP to safety then so be it. There is no way the correct answer is to make yourself a target when you are the last line of defense to the VIP... unless he is right on top of you and there is no other choice. At that point, you have already failed anyway.
    It seems to me, although I'm not a protective detail kind of guy, that the pricipal is your one and only focus.

Thus, you do what you have to do to keep the principal safe. It appears that evacuating the principal should be the primary focus. Others can deal with neutralizing the threat. You need to be dealing with protecting the protectee.

Go look at the Reagan/Hinkley tapes. Even though Reagan was shot, look at what his protective detail did. He was covered by the body of a Secret Service Agent and pushed to the floor of the vehicle and evacuated from the scene. In my mind it doesn't get more "textbook" than that. Others were left to deal with the attacker.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 11th, 2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo

You look right at the gun man W/ you best steely eyed mall cop gaze and authoritatively state "Hey pal , this is a gun free zone!".

Problem solved

Cool

You are the only one there according to this senario. The shooter is firing his handgun in your direction. You have to neutralize the threat. It is an active shooter situation.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You look right at the gun man W/ you best steely eyed mall cop gaze and authoritatively state "Hey pal , this is a gun free zone!".

Problem solved
    This is one of the better posts!!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

What does your S.O.P. state?

Having done some security work at various times all I can say is you do exactly what your employer is paying you to do. If you are not prepared to do exactly as directed it is time to find another line of work. The only way a plan works is if everyone does what they are assigned to do. When people (especially on a team) start thinking for themselves, bad things can happen.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Thank you and they should not.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links