Young Dumb Deputy

Young Dumb Deputy

This is a discussion on Young Dumb Deputy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was a deputy in a small Montana county, 2500 people, 6 total law enforcement, needless to say backup was scarce. A guy contacted me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Young Dumb Deputy

I was a deputy in a small Montana county, 2500 people, 6 total law enforcement, needless to say backup was scarce. A guy contacted me and said a guy was holding a woman hostage in a trailer.

I went to the door, stood to the side, knocked and identified myself. the door opened and out came a 30-06. I had my gun in one hand, grabbed the barrel of the 30-06, and pushed the guy back into the trailer where I saw a badly beaten woman on the couch.

He kept telling me to let go, and I kept telling him to drop the gun or I would shoot him. Finally I got pissed and just jerked the 30-06, it went off hitting the book case, but it scared him and he let go. I put him on the floor and cuffed him.

I charged him with assault on the woman, and assault against a police officer. The prosecutor ask if I was in fear for my life? I had control of the gun, and really didn't fear for my life, or I would have shot him.

Because I said I wasn't in fear of my life, the prosecutor refused to charge the guy with felony assault on a police officer.

I learned a very important lesson, be a afraid.

I learned that if I was ever involved in a shooting the first words out of my mouth had better be, I thought he was going to kill me.......

VIP Member
    Stories like that drive me crazy. The judge was obviously looking for a reason to reduce the charge. If your gun was out, it wasn't because you needed a hug. 'Lesson learned. Thank you for your service.

Your restraint might be admirable, but could also get you killed.
    A muzzle move that you couldn't control and you would have a big hole in you. While fear may or may not be a factor, the potential capability of the perp definitely is.

LEO or civilian, always...always fear for your life!

(But you already know that now.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Busted that Superman theory in a hurry. Anyone looking at the business end of a gun is either scared or foolish. Bullets don't know the difference between the two.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Dude...you have balls of rock. I'm glad they didnt get shot off.

I could go on, but whats the point? Hopefully you'll live long enough to continue to learn.

I know how it is with the backup, or lack of because for the most part when I am on patrol I have none. I am the only Deputy on shift in my small town of 1200, We only have enough for 1 per shift.

One thing I will say...
    If I think there is going to be a gun fight of any kind, this pistol will be the last thing I use because I am either going to have a shotgun or an AR in hand.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Welcome from southwestern Virginia. Kick your feet up and stay a while.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GLAD you made it through that ordeal. Thanks for the heads up, Dude.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Good move and quick thinking. Glad you came out of it ok.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Happy everything turned out ok. One thing you have to remember in a situation like that. The suspect with the 30-06 may not have been the only perp in the house that was armed. While your wrestling with him you could have been shot by a 2nd suspect inside the trailer. We lost two Delaware State Troopers who were wrestling with an armed robbery suspect (Male) and they were both shot and killed by his accomplice (Female). The Male grabbed both Troopers and held onto them while his accomplice methodically shot both of them. We lost two, he's dead and she's in jail for life.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Darn kids think they are invicible. Don't use up all your luck too quickly!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Thanks Guys, today I would have shot him in a heart beat. I was lucky and learned my lesson young. Most cops who are shot have less than 8 years on the job and hesitate. They can tell you a thousand times in academy what to do, but actually shooting someone is hard. It takes something like this to get that superman stuff out of your head.... Jay
    Last edited by HotGuns; July 12th, 2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: language workaround

Darn good thing you followed your training and stepped to the side. Kudos for handling it the way you did.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

And you still have good hearing ? Stay Safe ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Excellent, truly excellent point. I'm glad nothing happened to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links