Defensive Carry banner

What are your "hard, fast" rules?

4K views 58 replies 55 participants last post by  freestate 
#1 ·
Limatunes said in another thread, "That's why it's important to come to sure, fast rules such as, "never get into the car alive," or "never give up your firearm.""

So.... what rules would you add to this? I'm looking for things that would get you coming up and firing despite the odds, or despite having to draw against a drawn gun.

My add? Never let them move you to another location.

#4 ·
Never go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things! :smile:

#51 ·
:haha: That pretty much sums it up for me. When stupid stuff presents itself, I'll make every effort to avoid it entirely. Works most of the time is my experience.

If I had to point out one steadfast rule that I watch out for daily it would be, ( I try never to allow someone to approach me unannounced, or in an odd situation like around banks or parking lots.) It may be innocent enough, but I'd rather apologize for my stance than be taken by surprise. IMO, Predators usually choose folks they perceive to be weak or easy marks, so seldom will they choose someone along the size of myself ( I'm a chunk ), but it's not unheard of. Besides, I'd say all crooks and thugs are pretty much stupid idiots or they wouldn't be a criminal. IMO good measure of preparedness and attitude will usually put um on their heels.

#6 ·
This, with a couple additions myself. I'm never turning over my weapon to a BG. Not willingly. And second, almost without exception, never allow yourself to be moved to a second location. It almost never ends well.

#7 ·
I don't go to stupid places at odd hours of the evening.:hand1:
I don't use ATM machines.:hand1:
I rarely drink any more.:hand1:
I'm an old guy...stay outta' my space.:image035:

You want to rob the bank, fine...but stay outta' my space. I'll quietly wait at the other end of the bank until you have taken care of your financial needs.:wave:

Don't approach me in parking lots...stay outta' my space.:hand1:
Leave my family alone...I'll protect their space, too!:yup:

#9 ·
I borrowed this one:
Gabe Suarez said:
Carry your :censored: gun every :censored: place you go. And carry extra ammo.
Maybe not possible 100% of the time due to hospital MRIs, deep-in-the-bowels fed stuff, etc., but other than places like those, I'll take it as near 100% as I can shove it.

As far as around town on my own time, or around the house, it's 100%.

Oh wait, there was that concert a few years ago soon after I first started carrying... I walked up to the entrance with a large double-stack, saw a buzz-cut cop frisking people extremely aggressively in one line, and an attractive female lightly frisking people in the other line.

I didn't think I would be successful in either line, and I didn't want to lose my ticket money. Went back to the car. Made a deposit. Then went through her line. That was quite an experience. And no, I would NOT have made it through, not even with a SmartCarry. Such a brash young girl.

It wasn't long after that I bought a Keltec P3AT.

Okay, I got side-tracked there, but it's as near 100% as I can make it.

It's a lifestyle decision, not an event-driven decision (unless it's just not possible).

#11 ·
Rule one: no plan survives initial contact W/ the enemy.

Wouldn't get into a car, wouldn't give up my gun and number one priority is protecting my wife

#12 ·
I only have two hard and fast rules in life.

1: I will make it home alive, no matter what I have to do to do so.
2: If someone tries to harm me or my family, they will not make it home alive

#14 ·
Personally my view is KISS, black & white, like this. ^^

There are two quotes on this subject that I lobe have kept to heart as related to life and living.
The first I learned a a child and the second as an adult.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone. But if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery." - Malcolm X, 'Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements' (1965) edited by George Breitman

'You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done.' - Kenny Rogers, 'The Gambler'

The first is a dead serious statement, while the second is a song lyric that folks like to sing along too.

To my own world view, thus far, pretty much everything that has or can happen to a person in this life falls well under either of these two quotes.

Simple & concise...Black & white.

- Janq

P.S. - I'm not an old guy yet but in 40 yrs. I've seen some awful and unfortunate stuff, to which now I'm pretty much mentally feeling exact same as retsupt99. Leave me alone and everyone goes home.

#13 ·
For the most part, I have to agree with 'Retsup99'. I definitely have more "sensibility" around, concerning, in regards to "my space" and my family's space. I don't like being approached on street corners or when entering /leaving the grocery store ( or other public space) no matter what the cause or concern. I definitely DO NOT want to be approached in parking lots, PERIOD. I'm an old, sometimes cranky *******, let me go my way ...

#15 ·
The only one I can add is this.

My kids do not leave my sight with a stranger. Hopefully, my aim is good enough that they survive the encounter. If not, it's got to be better than what some DB had planned.

I pray I never have to stand on that one. But it pretty much sums up my feelings on abductions. They don't end well, whether I act or not. So I plan on acting.

#19 ·
When it comes to my weapons, pretty much the same as everyones, your not getting it from me but one way.

My other two are:

I will respect you until you show me you don't want it and

#20 ·
I don't have any hard and fast rules. Most situations are so fluid that I'll have to rely on my instincts to know when to be pro active and not reactive.

I guess maybe my rile is, I'm not going to let me or my family be a victim.

#21 ·
Myself and/or my Maker will choose the date/time/place of my demise, NOT a BG. It's a MINDSET thing with me. Otherwise I have to go along with all those that have posted.

#22 ·
I don't have "hard, fast" rules as that doesn't allow any flexibility for the endless numbers of variations that can occur with any senerio. Plans require "set" conditions, and that rarely happens. I'll do whatever I need to do at the time required.

#24 ·
:hand10:

Something I learned a long time ago...flexibility is the key to Air power...

I've adopted it for how I handle just about any situation...hard and fast rules lock you into specific end results...not necessarily the one you want...

#23 ·
I REFUSE to be a victim (whether I have my two friends 'S&W' with me or not)
and will do anything in my power to keep myself or loved ones from being victims.

"Be polite, be kind, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." that is my fast rule.

#29 ·
And that's my rule. I don't start stuff, but if you wanna go with me I will not back down.

#27 ·
My "rules" that have worked for me is SA...if you can avoid trouble do...If I have to fight...fight to win and protect my loveones until I can't! Be prepared and train like it is the real deal because someday it might be!

#28 ·
This is my rules also, plus use whatever it takes to win after the BG or BGs starts it.

My CHL instructor stated that home invasion into his home was to commit suicide, with which I fully agree.

#31 ·
I wouldn't get into a car.
I wouldn't give up my gun.
If you force me to chose between your life and a life of one of my family members. You will lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.