What are your "hard, fast" rules?

This is a discussion on What are your "hard, fast" rules? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Limatunes said in another thread, "That's why it's important to come to sure, fast rules such as, "never get into the car alive," or "never ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your "hard, fast" rules?

Limatunes said in another thread, "That's why it's important to come to sure, fast rules such as, "never get into the car alive," or "never give up your firearm.""

So.... what rules would you add to this? I'm looking for things that would get you coming up and firing despite the odds, or despite having to draw against a drawn gun.

My add? Never let them move you to another location.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I've decided I'm never going to the floor, and I'm never going to be herded to a place that looks like an assassination round up.
    Never giving up my gun to a bad guy.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Don't have too many set rules.
    Experience has taught me that flexibility can be your best ally.

Not trying to rain on your parade, that's one of my rules.

VIP Member
    Never go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    1 rule: Stay alive.

Roll with the punches on everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    1 rule: Stay alive.

Roll with the punches on everything else.
    This, with a couple additions myself. I'm never turning over my weapon to a BG. Not willingly. And second, almost without exception, never allow yourself to be moved to a second location. It almost never ends well.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I don't go to stupid places at odd hours of the evening.
    I don't use ATM machines.
    I rarely drink any more.
    I'm an old guy...stay outta' my space.

You want to rob the bank, fine...but stay outta' my space. I'll quietly wait at the other end of the bank until you have taken care of your financial needs.

Don't approach me in parking lots...stay outta' my space.
    Leave my family alone...I'll protect their space, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    ...And what Ret said...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I borrowed this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez
    Carry your gun every place you go. And carry extra ammo.
    Maybe not possible 100% of the time due to hospital MRIs, deep-in-the-bowels fed stuff, etc., but other than places like those, I'll take it as near 100% as I can shove it.

As far as around town on my own time, or around the house, it's 100%.

Oh wait, there was that concert a few years ago soon after I first started carrying... I walked up to the entrance with a large double-stack, saw a buzz-cut cop frisking people extremely aggressively in one line, and an attractive female lightly frisking people in the other line.

I didn't think I would be successful in either line, and I didn't want to lose my ticket money. Went back to the car. Made a deposit. Then went through her line. That was quite an experience. And no, I would NOT have made it through, not even with a SmartCarry. Such a brash young girl.

It wasn't long after that I bought a Keltec P3AT.

Okay, I got side-tracked there, but it's as near 100% as I can make it.

It's a lifestyle decision, not an event-driven decision (unless it's just not possible).

At my advanced age I try never to say "never." So remaining alert and flexible per Guantes' reply, and drawing the line as Arko does, pretty much covers the bases for me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Rule one: no plan survives initial contact W/ the enemy.

Wouldn't get into a car, wouldn't give up my gun and number one priority is protecting my wife

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I only have two hard and fast rules in life.

1: I will make it home alive, no matter what I have to do to do so.
    2: If someone tries to harm me or my family, they will not make it home alive
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

For the most part, I have to agree with 'Retsup99'. I definitely have more "sensibility" around, concerning, in regards to "my space" and my family's space. I don't like being approached on street corners or when entering /leaving the grocery store ( or other public space) no matter what the cause or concern. I definitely DO NOT want to be approached in parking lots, PERIOD. I'm an old, sometimes cranky *******, let me go my way ...

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I only have two hard and fast rules in life.

1: I will make it home alive, no matter what I have to do to do so.
    2: If someone tries to harm me or my family, they will not make it home alive
    Personally my view is KISS, black & white, like this. ^^

There are two quotes on this subject that I lobe have kept to heart as related to life and living.
    The first I learned a a child and the second as an adult.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone. But if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery." - Malcolm X, 'Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements' (1965) edited by George Breitman

'You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away and know when to run
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done.' - Kenny Rogers, 'The Gambler'

The first is a dead serious statement, while the second is a song lyric that folks like to sing along too.

To my own world view, thus far, pretty much everything that has or can happen to a person in this life falls well under either of these two quotes.

Simple & concise...Black & white.

- Janq

P.S. - I'm not an old guy yet but in 40 yrs. I've seen some awful and unfortunate stuff, to which now I'm pretty much mentally feeling exact same as retsupt99. Leave me alone and everyone goes home.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The only one I can add is this.

My kids do not leave my sight with a stranger. Hopefully, my aim is good enough that they survive the encounter. If not, it's got to be better than what some DB had planned.

I pray I never have to stand on that one. But it pretty much sums up my feelings on abductions. They don't end well, whether I act or not. So I plan on acting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links