Wrong place wrong time scenario

This is a discussion on Wrong place wrong time scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys and gals another scenario to work out. You are in your local fast food restaurant. You have finished eating and take your child ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong place wrong time scenario

VIP Member

Ok guys and gals another scenario to work out.

You are in your local fast food restaurant. You have finished eating and take your child into the bathroom. The bathroom is at the end of a long hallway. The ladies room door is at the end of the hall with the mens room to the left. Your wife/SO/family members remain at the table.

The restaurant is set up with two main areas at the entrance to the hallway is the lobby/waiting area where the cash register is located and past that is the seating area where your family is.

The bathroom is a single stall with a lock on the entrance to the bathroom door and it is only you and your family member in the bathroom. While washing your hands you hear screaming and a single gunshot from the lobby. You can make out at least two men shouting orders. You are armed with your EDC no matter what it is and mags or speedloaders to go with it.

Now what? How do you exit? Do you exit? There is about 15 feet from the bathroom door to the lobby area. The lobby area is 20 feet across and the dining area is also 20 feet across. Your family members are seated at the far end.

Same as before please no responses of I'm not married or I just wouldnt eat there or I dont have kids. Feel free to replace wives, kids or relatives as needed but the family member with you in the bathroom due to age or medical condition needed your assistance.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I've got to go out and look, for the sake of my family and/or spouse. How old is the child with you? I he/she old enough to stay locked in the restroom while you investigate?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Get on the phone right now, call 911 and report (what sounds like) a robbery in progress. You have no idea of how many dirtbags or where they are standing. You're not a cop and your appearance could just cause shooting to start. If I had my grandkids along (they'd both be in the bathroom with me or the wife), they are way to young to lock alone in the bathroom...they would be crying, and that could draw attention.
    If, and just if, I had to go into the main area, I might just drape a coat over my gun already in my hand...sort of a surprise.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd have a hard time not going to check on my SO. A lot depends on whether the kid is old enough to be left alone for a few minutes.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I may peak out the door for a second to put eyes on the wife but I'm staying put and calling 911 if it's only a single shot, odds are that they either put one in the ceiling or shot a employee not a patron. Distinctive double taps, wife is shooting and I'm definitely staying put. This is something we have discussed and agreed upon, one of us must survive to raise our children.

Tough situation. What I have learned recently is I don't know what I would do until the situation was going on. (I don't think anyone really knows what they would do until it happens).

However, what I think I would do is stay in the bathroom with my kid. I know I can protect my kid in the bathroom, but I don't know what's going on in front. I would call 911 right away and tell them what I have heard and where I am and then stay put unless something else starts happening.

There has already been one shot, so they are either willing to shoot without a second thought or they are jumpy. Either way, my coming out of the bathroom is very likely to cause another shot. My wife or one of my other kids may or may not have been shot with the first shot, but there is nothing I can do about that so I have to just stay where I am. Hopefully that was the only shot that would be fired and the scumbags leave with what they were after.

I'd stay on the phone with 911 so I'd no when the police arrive and if I hear more gunshots then I would probably leave the bathroom and try to help.

That being said, if anyone was hurt after the first shot was fired I would probably second-guess myself for the rest of my life.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    at this point i stay put and protect the one who is with me...walkinginto the situation would probably only make it worse...as much as it pains me to even think about it my kid would be instructed to lay with his body protected by the toilet in the stall (eeewwwww)...and i am waiting by the door to take on whatever comes through....

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    at this point i stay put and protect the one who is with me...walkinginto the situation would probably only make it worse...as much as it pains me to even think about it my kid would be instructed to lay with his body protected by the toilet in the stall (eeewwwww)...and i am waiting by the door to take on whatever comes through....
    +1...I have to agree..add call 911 and I think this is the best option. JMO Unfortunately, the "shooter" will have to deal with my wife when she gets PO'd.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    My daughter is 14 months old. I love her mother but my priority is dictated by the circumstances. I would have to protect my baby first and foremost. That either means calling 911 and notifying them what is happening, and that I am armed, and what I look like, and that the armed men have my wife detained against her will, or taking the baby and heading out of the building and moving the baby to safety, off the scene.

If my child was older and could survive on her own, it might be different. Then again, it depends on alot of factors.

Ultimately this is why we have family SOP's. The wife ALWAYS carries the baby, and I am always armed. The protector can't be holding onto an infant/child while performing his duties.
    Last edited by Jcabin; July 13th, 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Ultimately this is why we have family SOP's. The wife ALWAYS carries the baby, and I am always armed. The protector can't be holding onto an infant/child while performing his duties.
    This is a very good idea. This leaves the most capable/prepared protector in the most advantageous position to take care of business. He can either engage while the wife and baby take cover or he can choose to move with them to cover and protect them on the way. Good stuff Jcabin. Plans may not always go as planned, but they do help.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Survival of the child is paramount.

Nothing else matters. Place child against wall, to the side of the door opposite of the way the door opens, shielded by your body, gun out, 911 on phone giving location and "shots fired" and that I'm armed and will shoot anyone coming through the door that doesn't identify themselves. If door opens without someone identifying who they are, shoot.

I will kill, murder and do any other act needed to ensure the safety and survival of those I love, but the wife is on her own in this scenario. The child comes first and is the only concern, no matter the age. I hope it doesn't come to the murdering, and in this scenario it doesn't have to. Justified Deadly Force can be used here as gunshots would lead one to have a reasonable expectation that death or grave bodily injury is imminent.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I am still waiting for the ever present BE A GOOD WITNESS response.

First thing to do is call 911 on your cell phone. I would let the LEOs handle it unless the BG start abusing or shooting at my family or others. I would tell my kid to get on the floor of the restroom and stay there until I come for him. I would get as close to the BGs as possible and try take them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I am still waiting for the ever present BE A GOOD WITNESS response.

To fit the parameters and modifications allowed in the OP, it would most likely be me, my grandkids and their dad.

Hearing one shot may be a victim shot, or may have been a warning shot in the ceiling or such. I would stay in the bathroom with the grandchild, unless I heard further shooting. Their dad, who has similar training and experience to grandpa, would be responsible for the safety of the other grandchildren and would not initiate action unless deemed absolutely necessary.

I would not call 911.
    I prefer that they (robbers) have the opportunity to leave rather than possibly be boxed into a shootout/hostage situation.
    I prefer dealing with the situation, if necessary, with someone of known capabilities, that I know.

If I hear further shooting, it is most likely that "dad" has necessarily engaged. I would leave the grandchild in the bathroom with instructions to wait for dad or grandpa to come and get them, because at this point the other grandchildren are in greater jeopardy. Then I would move to assist dad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links