Defensive Carry banner

Wrong place wrong time scenario

3K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  xsigma40cal 
#1 ·
Ok guys and gals another scenario to work out.

You are in your local fast food restaurant. You have finished eating and take your child into the bathroom. The bathroom is at the end of a long hallway. The ladies room door is at the end of the hall with the mens room to the left. Your wife/SO/family members remain at the table.

The restaurant is set up with two main areas at the entrance to the hallway is the lobby/waiting area where the cash register is located and past that is the seating area where your family is.

The bathroom is a single stall with a lock on the entrance to the bathroom door and it is only you and your family member in the bathroom. While washing your hands you hear screaming and a single gunshot from the lobby. You can make out at least two men shouting orders. You are armed with your EDC no matter what it is and mags or speedloaders to go with it.

Now what? How do you exit? Do you exit? There is about 15 feet from the bathroom door to the lobby area. The lobby area is 20 feet across and the dining area is also 20 feet across. Your family members are seated at the far end.

Same as before please no responses of I'm not married or I just wouldnt eat there or I dont have kids. Feel free to replace wives, kids or relatives as needed but the family member with you in the bathroom due to age or medical condition needed your assistance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got to go out and look, for the sake of my family and/or spouse. How old is the child with you? I he/she old enough to stay locked in the restroom while you investigate?

#3 ·
Get on the phone right now, call 911 and report (what sounds like) a robbery in progress. You have no idea of how many dirtbags or where they are standing. You're not a cop and your appearance could just cause shooting to start. If I had my grandkids along (they'd both be in the bathroom with me or the wife), they are way to young to lock alone in the bathroom...they would be crying, and that could draw attention.
If, and just if, I had to go into the main area, I might just drape a coat over my gun already in my hand...sort of a surprise.

#4 ·
I'd have a hard time not going to check on my SO. A lot depends on whether the kid is old enough to be left alone for a few minutes.

#5 ·
I may peak out the door for a second to put eyes on the wife but I'm staying put and calling 911 if it's only a single shot, odds are that they either put one in the ceiling or shot a employee not a patron. Distinctive double taps, wife is shooting and I'm definitely staying put. This is something we have discussed and agreed upon, one of us must survive to raise our children.

#6 ·
Tough situation. What I have learned recently is I don't know what I would do until the situation was going on. (I don't think anyone really knows what they would do until it happens).

However, what I think I would do is stay in the bathroom with my kid. I know I can protect my kid in the bathroom, but I don't know what's going on in front. I would call 911 right away and tell them what I have heard and where I am and then stay put unless something else starts happening.

There has already been one shot, so they are either willing to shoot without a second thought or they are jumpy. Either way, my coming out of the bathroom is very likely to cause another shot. My wife or one of my other kids may or may not have been shot with the first shot, but there is nothing I can do about that so I have to just stay where I am. Hopefully that was the only shot that would be fired and the scumbags leave with what they were after.

I'd stay on the phone with 911 so I'd no when the police arrive and if I hear more gunshots then I would probably leave the bathroom and try to help.

That being said, if anyone was hurt after the first shot was fired I would probably second-guess myself for the rest of my life.

#7 ·
at this point i stay put and protect the one who is with me...walkinginto the situation would probably only make it worse...as much as it pains me to even think about it my kid would be instructed to lay with his body protected by the toilet in the stall (eeewwwww)...and i am waiting by the door to take on whatever comes through....

#8 ·
+1...I have to agree..add call 911 and I think this is the best option. JMO Unfortunately, the "shooter" will have to deal with my wife when she gets PO'd. :image035:

#9 · (Edited)
My daughter is 14 months old. I love her mother but my priority is dictated by the circumstances. I would have to protect my baby first and foremost. That either means calling 911 and notifying them what is happening, and that I am armed, and what I look like, and that the armed men have my wife detained against her will, or taking the baby and heading out of the building and moving the baby to safety, off the scene.

If my child was older and could survive on her own, it might be different. Then again, it depends on alot of factors.

Ultimately this is why we have family SOP's. The wife ALWAYS carries the baby, and I am always armed. The protector can't be holding onto an infant/child while performing his duties.

#10 ·
Ultimately this is why we have family SOP's. The wife ALWAYS carries the baby, and I am always armed. The protector can't be holding onto an infant/child while performing his duties.
This is a very good idea. This leaves the most capable/prepared protector in the most advantageous position to take care of business. He can either engage while the wife and baby take cover or he can choose to move with them to cover and protect them on the way. Good stuff Jcabin. Plans may not always go as planned, but they do help.

#11 ·
Survival of the child is paramount.

Nothing else matters. Place child against wall, to the side of the door opposite of the way the door opens, shielded by your body, gun out, 911 on phone giving location and "shots fired" and that I'm armed and will shoot anyone coming through the door that doesn't identify themselves. If door opens without someone identifying who they are, shoot.

I will kill, murder and do any other act needed to ensure the safety and survival of those I love, but the wife is on her own in this scenario. The child comes first and is the only concern, no matter the age. I hope it doesn't come to the murdering, and in this scenario it doesn't have to. Justified Deadly Force can be used here as gunshots would lead one to have a reasonable expectation that death or grave bodily injury is imminent.

Biker

#13 ·
First thing to do is call 911 on your cell phone. I would let the LEOs handle it unless the BG start abusing or shooting at my family or others. I would tell my kid to get on the floor of the restroom and stay there until I come for him. I would get as close to the BGs as possible and try take them out.

#15 ·
To fit the parameters and modifications allowed in the OP, it would most likely be me, my grandkids and their dad.

Hearing one shot may be a victim shot, or may have been a warning shot in the ceiling or such. I would stay in the bathroom with the grandchild, unless I heard further shooting. Their dad, who has similar training and experience to grandpa, would be responsible for the safety of the other grandchildren and would not initiate action unless deemed absolutely necessary.

I would not call 911.
I prefer that they (robbers) have the opportunity to leave rather than possibly be boxed into a shootout/hostage situation.
I prefer dealing with the situation, if necessary, with someone of known capabilities, that I know.

If I hear further shooting, it is most likely that "dad" has necessarily engaged. I would leave the grandchild in the bathroom with instructions to wait for dad or grandpa to come and get them, because at this point the other grandchildren are in greater jeopardy. Then I would move to assist dad.

#16 ·
To fit the parameters and modifications allowed in the OP, it would most likely be me, my grandkids and their dad.

Hearing one shot may be a victim shot, or may have been a warning shot in the ceiling or such. I would stay in the bathroom with the grandchild, unless I heard further shooting. Their dad, who has similar training and experience to grandpa, would be responsible for the safety of the other grandchildren and would not initiate action unless deemed absolutely necessary.

I would not call 911.
I prefer that they (robbers) have the opportunity to leave rather than possibly be boxed into a shootout/hostage situation.

I prefer dealing with the situation, if necessary, with someone of known capabilities, that I know.

If I hear further shooting, it is most likely that "dad" has necessarily engaged. I would leave the grandchild in the bathroom with instructions to wait for dad or grandpa to come and get them, because at this point the other grandchildren are in greater jeopardy. Then I would move to assist dad.
Interesting point; one I hadn't considered

#18 ·
If I’ve got family in the main area of the restaurant, I’m going out. My kid(s) are old enough to stay in the bathroom/lock the door.
As retsup said, I may try to draw and cover the weapon depending on what is available.

#19 ·
Wow these are good to think about, I have 5 children, yep 5... all under 6 so leaving them alone is not a viable option... I agree that the shot would likely be a warning shot and without hearing someone say "_____ been shot". They have the advantage, you don't know for sure how many, or their positions, if they are planning to stay and do the hostage thing they will check the bathrooms, if they are robbin and runnin it will be over soon you have to hope.

I would get in a position to defend my self and child in the bathroom.
Call 911 and leave the line open
I would listen closely to what is going on and try to be ready if I needed to exit or someone was coming. If I felt and the situation dicatated I need to get a visual Retsupt's idea of gun in hand covered by a garment would work for me (I always wear a t-shirt tucked in covered by an outer garment, I could ditch my holster be ready to shoot acting as if I got something on my shirt and had to wash it out)
Wy wife is my number one priority and I would want to ensure no one was going to hurt her...

#22 ·
Call 911....report armed robbery...give information (probably include I am armed...and my description--re-emphasize I am the good guy trapped in the bathroom with my child....and leave the phone on (w/911 operator) and put phone in my jacket pocket in case I get caught by the BGs and forced into main dining area.

Wait for LEO response...stay holstered...be compliant (until it's time to not be compliant)....obey LEO commands...

Pretty much summarizes my response...subject to conditions at the time.

#24 ·
. . . . . . . . While washing your hands you hear screaming and a single gunshot from the lobby. You can make out at least two men shouting orders.

Now what? How do you exit? Do you exit? There is about 15 feet from the bathroom door to the lobby area. The lobby area is 20 feet across and the dining area is also 20 feet across. . . . .
But I don't really know there is a robbery going on, or what's going on at all! Two gang members in a fight? LEO's ordering a BG to the floor? Paramedics shouting orders after someone is hurt by accidental discharge? All I know my child and I are safe so far. That changes fast if it's a "bad" situation and we are discovered.

[1] Call 911, report relevant events, (and I'm armed, etc.) leave line 'open'.
[2] Place my child in the safest position the environment allows.
[3] Wait for the 'trouble' to come to me, I may have the advantage of surprise_and I may not. I'll use the rest room door as a "funnel" to reduce the number of people who can 'rush' me at one time, and help to slow down their entrance long enough for me to make a "shoot__no-shoot" decision when each enters (got a gun? . .got a uniform? etc.)

I can't do much about what's going on in the rest of the place without possible further jeopardy to my child and myself so ___I'll do the best I can where I am with what I've got.

#25 ·
But I don't really know there is a robbery going on, or what's going on at all! Two gang members in a fight? LEO's ordering a BG to the floor? Paramedics shouting orders after someone is hurt by accidental discharge?
Excellent point! You don't know what you don't know, and there you are sitting behind a closed door wondering what the hell is going on out there. I would call 911, give what info I had available, and leave the line open while I unholster and make myself ready for anything that comes through the door.

#26 ·
Most fast food joints have an exit at the rear of the lobby, so if the rest of the family is seated at the far end like the OP said then I would hope the wife was able to run out and get to cover. If not then she is armed (I told her that once our baby is born she needs to carry and she agrees so she will be getting her license in about a month).
As for me I am staying put with the child. I would be calling 911 and anyone that comes through the door unannounced will probably be getting shot unless I see a uniform.
As always there are a lot of variables that would dictate changes to what happens.

#27 ·
Alright guys everyone is thinking. The family member in the bathroom with you would be able to stay alone lets say 7 years old or so he just needed assist or did not feel right about bathrooming alone in a strange place or if you have no kids it is an adult family member who because of a medical condition needed assistance but is fully capable of understanding the words stay put and be quiet.

These are not LEO's or anyone in a fight you hear "Give me the damn money now". Great responses so far keep thinking it out.

#28 ·
As soon as you are sure they left the building, come running out of the bathroom while pulling up pants, making sure you have a trail of toilet paper dragging behind and yell, "What'd I miss?" :rofl:

Okay, I would think the best case scenario would be to call 911 from inside the bathroom and inform them of an armed robbery with shots fired. Advise dispatcher you are armed and have a small child with you in the bathroom to protect.

If I'm able, I may do a sneak and peek by opening the bathroom door a crack to see if I can identify any of the bad guys while I have 911 operator on the phone. My wife out in the seating area is armed and I know she is going to be making herself as invisible as possible. She is not going to engage them unless they threaten her specifically.

#31 ·
Several people ahve said it depends on the age of the child as to whether or not you would leave them in the bathroom. Well in this situation I think the bathroom is the safest place. If it has a door you can lock, I would even consider leaving an ifant in the bathroom IF I felt the need to go back into the dinning area. With the door locked the child should be relatively safe, at least safer than in the dinning room. Once the shooting is over you can worry about getting a key, picking the lock or kicking in the door.
If your going to get into a gun fight, either you win, and then rescue the child or you lose, and hopefully the BG doesn't bother checking the bathrooms and flees. At that point the child will be found by police or restaurant personal. I'm not saying I would leave them to run off into a gun fight, BUT if I HAD to leave them, I would rather they be out of the line of fire.

#32 ·
Step 1. Draw,
Step 2. Get the kid into the stall, in between the toilet and the wall.
3. Call the LEO's, keep it short and sweet, hang up, flip the kershaw.
4. post up behind/or close to the door.
5. spring the trap if bguys enter, or stand down when LEO's announce themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.