Defensive Carry banner

good thinking and correct use of a CC weapon

7K views 104 replies 58 participants last post by  RemMod597 
#1 ·
Seattle Times-

This is the story of the self defense shooting of a mentally ill arsonist who had previously served time for dousing his mother's day care center with gasoline and setting it on fire:

A 25-year-old man who was fatally shot while attacking a stranger Saturday at Westlake Plaza (Seattle, WA.) had previously served time in prison for setting fire to a day-care center his mother operated out of her Phinney Ridge home.
Daniel Culotti was shot shortly after 11 a.m. by a 52-year-old man he was assaulting in an unprovoked attack, according to Seattle police. The victim of the assault was carrying a handgun and had a concealed-weapons permit, police said.
In July 2001, Culotti had attacked his mother, Melinda Culotti, inside the family's former residence on Palatine Avenue North near Woodland Park Zoo. He later returned and doused the floors inside the house with gasoline, setting the house on fire.

For that, the man served nine months and was placed on probation. And he's been arrested three times since then for "violating the conditions of his release."

On the last day in the life of this obviously dangerous man, he was randomly assaulting passers-by until he picked the wrong victim -- an older (African American) man who was legally carrying a gun:

According to Seattle police, a woman called 911 at 11:08 a.m. Saturday to report that a man was acting erratically, yelling at passers-by and randomly assaulting strangers near Boren Avenue and Pine Street. Officers sent to the scene couldn't find the caller, the man or any victims, police spokeswoman Debra Brown said.
Twenty-three minutes later, police dispatchers radioed that shots had been fired at Fifth Avenue and Pine Street, she said. Moments earlier, witnesses told police, a man in his 20s apparently attacked the 52-year-old man, punching and kicking him until he fell to the sidewalk. The older man pulled out a .357-caliber Ruger revolver and fired one round, striking the man in the abdomen.
The older man "was not winning the fight" - the other man "just starts attacking him, he's on the ground and a shot is fired," Brown said, describing witnesses' accounts.

What the armed man did was quite rational:

Once you are on the ground, it is hard to run, and hard to protect yourself. The victim did what I think any rational person would have done: he drew his handgun and fired, killing Culotti.

Not only do I agree, this case is one of the best arguments I have seen for concealed carry. The legal system and the police simply cannot keep society safe from dangerous psychotics. If a conviction for arson only gets them off the street for nine months, then I think it's reasonable to conclude that law abiding citizens are the only force that can possibly stop them.

See less See more
#105 ·
back in the days before I was carried, I was sucker punched in the throat, immediately removing my ability to get air.
Next thing I knew, he was body slamming me and had me on the ground in a tight choke hold, cutting off all my air.
This all happened in about 3 seconds time, if that. He was about 100 lbs heavier and I wasn't getting out from under him.
Fortunately I was able to reach a screwdriver and divert his attention to his eyes, thus getting him to release me.
The whole thing lasted maybe a minute, max, and was the most frightening experience of my life up to that time. I thought for sure it was my last day on Earth.
I swore I would never let myself get into a situation like that again, and that I would avoid if possible, but have an equalizer if I couldn't avoid.
Knock me down and beat me, you're gonna get shot. Period.
The older I get, the less I find myself able to keep up with the more agile members of the shadowy side of society.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.