Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You - Page 3

Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You

This is a discussion on Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd change direction. If they still felt the need to follow me, I'd run for it. In this scenario they really haven't done anything *wrong* ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You

I'd change direction. If they still felt the need to follow me, I'd run for it.

In this scenario they really haven't done anything *wrong* yet (that we know of). Yes the OP said they were bad guys, but how am I supposed to know that they are bad guys just coz they are running?? Bad guys don't come with lables on their foreheads, and for all I really know it's just two jerk kids being stupid.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Senior Moderator
    Two guys running at you does not indicate a deadly threat.

While I am a firm beleiver in having a plan to kill everyone that you meet, they would have to do more than run at me for me present a weapon.

Other factors would have to be there and thus far we have none.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    It's still a bad shoot. Just because you have your gun out, an unarmed person running at you does not justify deadly force. They look like bad guys. Hell, I probably look like a bad guy sometimes. That doesn't make it so, or justify a shooting.
    Here in Texas, it may not be a bad shoot. If they change direction with you, then it's possibly going bad. Once you say "stop" and they don't, you've altered your course to move away from them and they altered theirs as well (like crossing to the other side of the street at a point other than a crosswalk, for example) and there's two of them that obviously did something wrong, by Texas law, it would be very reasonable to defend yourself at this point whether they had weapons or not.

Disparity of force, approaching you when you've said "stop" and changed direction. This is not just my interpretation of the law.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I would try and outrun them, if they insist on chasing me I may not have any option than to engage them.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Get out of their way...if they come after you...defend yourself.
    What he said. Move, if they change direction to still come toward me then I am obviously their next target. Time to draw!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ask em if they grabbed a pack of smokes for me...then get the heck out of their way....if they did rob the place they probably have little interest in me but would rather just get away...if they are after me my actions moving away from them and their potential direction should give me a good idea of that....

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Two guys running at you does not indicate a deadly threat.

While I am a firm beleiver in having a plan to kill everyone that you meet, they would have to do more than run at me for me present a weapon.

Other factors would have to be there and thus far we have none.
    I agree.

100' is not much distance to cover in a all out run; so there is probably not enough time to draw and get off a "good" shot agains TWO people. However, there should be enough time to move out of the way, prepare to deflect and ready a counter strike.

I would "most likely" move to the right or left if I were out in the open. If I were close to a wall, I would move so that my "back" was against the wall. (Either way, I prepare to deflect and counter if necessary.)

If I were caught between cars, I would probably be trying to back up and move as to keep at least "ONE" car between me and the BG's.

IMO; there really is NOT enough infomation in the OP do determine that my gun should be drawn and these two people shot.

The way I see it is:
    I may have time to draw; but getting off a SAFE and EFFECTIVE shot may be difficult.

However, I can definitely see the possibility that I could be knocked down; or have to face a physical assault. Having my gun (in-hand) in either of these situations is NOT a good idea; IMHO.

ETA;
    I have been in a situation similar to this; except the distance was closer. Two BG's had just shop lifted a CS and came bursting out the door. I moved against the store's front wall and gave them room. They blew right past me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    BAD SHOOT Go to jail.

They were good guys, who didn't speak english, maybe they were unable to speak, or in shock. They are visiting a family member who owns the business from another country. They were helping close up when an armed burglar struggles with them and they take off out of the door the burglar kicked in. You are the first person they see and they run to you for help. You offered no verbal commands, simply doing some strafing and decided it was sufficient enough retreat to drop the hammer.
    You can make up any what if you like after ther fact, but if you try to evade them more than once and they keep coming after you I think it would be justified. You would later be able to articulate to an officer where you (and they) started, how you tried to evade multiple times and how finally, after evading failed, you felt in fear for your life and shot.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I would scream RUN!!!! THE POLICE ARE AFTER YOU!! and point behind them and run out of their way after I distracted them. Running perpendicular to them then back towards the crime scene away from their getaway

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I would scream RUN!!!! THE POLICE ARE AFTER YOU!! and point behind them and run out of their way after I distracted them. Running perpendicular to them then back towards the crime scene away from their getaway
    good plan...

Senior Moderator
    Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You
    Notice the title of the post.

With no other factors being presented other than that they are running towards you...why would anyone here think it was OK to shoot?

How are you going to explain that in a court of law?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    yell LOOK OUT, COPS BEHIND YOU, I CAN'T GO BACK THERE!!! and take off running, We all know that bad guys will not harm one of their own
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Move off their line of direction by several yards. Draw my sap and transfer it to my weak hand. If they change direction toward me and still display no weapons, prepare to engage. There is sufficient disparity of force to allow my sap if used in a non lethal method, which can be escalated to lethal if necessary of. Draw and shoot if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Get out of their way...if they come after you...defend yourself.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    yell LOOK OUT, COPS BEHIND YOU, I CAN'T GO BACK THERE!!! and take off running, We all know that bad guys will not harm one of their own
    lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links