Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You

This is a discussion on Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sap? They quit selling them things years ago. They hurt too much. No one wanted to use them and everyone went to ASP's. That was ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You

Senior Moderator
    Sap? They quit selling them things years ago. They hurt too much. No one wanted to use them and everyone went to ASP's.

That was back when you could tell the difference between a man and a woman without having to argue about it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sap? No one wanted to use them and everyone went to ASP's.
    That's not exactly true about no one wanted to use them.
    My toys (saps, BJ) and my moniker namesake.
    Attached Images

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    You do quite the job when it comes to imbellishing a story. If you will read the OP, it specifically stated "two bad guys". Also in one of your previous posts you stated the two runners were unarmed, when I believe in the OP, it stated it was uniknown as to whether or not they were armed. Second, game on doesn't necessarily indicate a shoot, however it definitely indicates Condition Red, weapon drawn, and prepared to fire. If the sight of my weapon does not deter their continued approach to me, then at that time I must make the decision to "fight or flight". I believe you would do well to create your own thread if you decide to create a storyline not previously stated in the OP. JMO

An original post is designed to be answered based on the facts presented and NOT on the game of gossip that some of you play when you add, change, take away from the OP. Just something else to think about when you berate someone else for their answer to a scenario.
    Because this could happen in real life, and you need to be 100% certain. The OP doesn't even know if the people running out of the store are good or bad guys, he simply ASSUMED they were bad guys, much like you were doing. I'm simply injecting some variables that are sensible and reasonable questions one must ask. Look at things from a different point of view instead of going for the gun as your answer every single time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Because this could happen in real life, and you need to be 100% certain. The OP doesn't even know if the people running out of the store are good or bad guys, he simply ASSUMED they were bad guys, much like you were doing. I'm simply injecting some variables that are sensible and reasonable questions one must ask. Look at things from a different point of view instead of going for the gun as your answer every single time.
    Actually, the OP does know they are bad guys because HE MADE UP THIS SCENARIO. He made it up. His rules. The people running at you are bad guys because the OP SAID THEY WERE BAD GUYS.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Actually, the OP does know they are bad guys because HE MADE UP THIS SCENARIO. He made it up. His rules. The people running at you are bad guys because the OP SAID THEY WERE BAD GUYS.
    But how does he know that? This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Senior Moderator
    That's not exactly true about no one wanted to use them.
    My toys (saps, BJ) and my moniker namesake.
    I stand corrected. What I meant was that PD's no longer wanted to use them as it was replaced by the ASP.

The old guys gnashed their teeth and wept when they went away.

Just yesterday I was eating dinner with the ex-Sheriff and he was reminiscing about using a sap back in the old days.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Some very large departments still authorize their carry and use, but on a much restricted basis.

I was very sad to see one of the best tools in LE, lost to many due to the misuse of a few, political fear, stonewalling and PC thinking. The same reasons that some departments have lost the use of large flashlights.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    You would be thankful that you were not lazy and took martial arts training for a year or 4 and then proceed to whip their ... if they get near you.

I think it's a very good scenario and the question concerns because I am over 60 and have health problems - a good hard punch in the guts and I could easily be seriously injured or worse. At the same time I know while it can be legal to shoot with an unarmed attacker(s), it very dicey in terms of proving the need for it.
    And with 2 built in witnesses to lie about it really dicey. All they'd have to say is they weren't running at me, they were running because they were late, or one chasing the others playfully.

So, it's a tough one. And I don't really know is my honest answer. One thing I do realize however, is that you'd have to have real certainty from observation of their actual behavior that they were in fact, running at YOU to cause serious harm.

I don't know what I 'd do though.

VIP Member
    But how does he know that? This isn't a hard concept to grasp.
    Wow, really? Ok the op knows they are bad because he just watched them stab two people before they start running at you. OK? Good enough? Oh, and next they just kicked a puppy and then they made fun of a crippled kid.

HEY, WAKE UP! This is a made up scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Wow, really? Ok the op knows they are bad because he just watched them stab two people before they start running at you. OK? Good enough? Oh, and next they just kicked a puppy and then they made fun of a crippled kid.

HEY, WAKE UP! This is a made up scenario!
    He never witnessed those things so he doesn't know whether or not they are really bad guys. Just some tough looking guys running out of a kicked in door with an alarm going off. My brother is 6'4 350 lbs and looks like some kind of scottish ufc fighter, but he's never laid a finger on anyone in his life. So he comes running for his life out of a building where some armed robbers kicked the back door in and tussled everyone around, and he comes running out and you're in his way of getting to safety. You're going to shoot him? His priority is getting to safety, and even if you change direction, he might be changing the same direction, say to get around a corner, or get to his vehicle that you've now placed yourself between. Are you going to shoot? BAD SHOOT, GO TO JAIL.

He never witnessed those things so he doesn't know whether or not they are really bad guys. Just some tough looking guys running out of a kicked in door with an alarm going off. My brother is 6'4 350 lbs and looks like some kind of scottish ufc fighter, but he's never laid a finger on anyone in his life. So he comes running for his life out of a building where some armed robbers kicked the back door in and tussled everyone around, and he comes running out and you're in his way of getting to safety. You're going to shoot him? His priority is getting to safety, and even if you change direction, he might be changing the same direction, say to get around a corner, or get to his vehicle that you've now placed yourself between. Are you going to shoot? BAD SHOOT, GO TO JAIL.
    stop arguing the damn scenario set up..yeesh, its a contrived scenario FOR WHAT EVER REASON IT IS KNOWN THAT THESE ARE BGs! Why do people insist on changing the scenario instead of answering the one questioned?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member

But what about the puppy and the crippled kid?

Seriously bro, it's just pretend. Close your eyes and imagine that they are bad guys.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links