Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You

This is a discussion on Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're taking an evening walk about 10PM and you're carrying. As you get about 100' from the door of a local store, the alarm goes ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You

Unarmed Bad Guys Running at You

You're taking an evening walk about 10PM and you're carrying. As you get about 100' from the door of a local store, the alarm goes off and two bad guys come out an obliviously kicked in door. It's a well lit area and they immediately see you, but rather than run away, they run toward you.

As far as you can see they are unarmed, but these are big guys and they don't look friendly. They're in a full run coming at you, what do you do?

To use deadly force you need to be in fear for your life or that of another. If you're afraid these bad guys could take your weapon and kill you, then I know I would be in fear for my life.

Law Enforcement officers have a lot more weapons training than the average person who carries a handgun. Yet depending on the year as many as 1/5th of the officers killed each year, are killed with their own weapon according to the FBI.

It's easy to talk and train about taking a life in a shooting situation, it's another to actually do it. I think this static proves that even a well trained police officer can not be prepared to take another's life..
    To take someones life is not an easy decision, but hesitation can get you killed.
    E. Jay Fleming
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Mohave Valley, AZ

"A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    Quick you have less than 6 seconds to decide! (33 yds running= not much time

I would be aware of the last vehicle I passed parked on the street or what is around me I would move to put a barrier between us if possible, placing my hand on my gun, if they counter I would draw, shout "stop" and shoot.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To use deadly force requires (in most states) a direct threat against you. Perhaps you are standing in the middle of their pre-determined escape route, you're between them and their car. Maybe they are just looters taking advantage of an opprtunity and mean no harm to anyone.

Much to vague here to make any detemination, but I'd be ready to defend myself regardless of their intent.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Get out of their way...if they come after you...defend yourself.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If I was alone I don't think they'd catch me. If they were some kind of super FSB agent and could defeat any evasion method I threw at them, well...I suppose they made their decision.

I wouldn't want to stand in front of a jury and say "Well these two big guys were running at me, and they looked displeased with their present situation, so I shot them dead."

One of two scenarios.
    1. Quickly place your hand on the weapon and not draw it. If they don't react then....
    2. Fully draw your weapon and go into a combat stance. If they don't react and are almost on you one of two things will happen.
    1a. They will move away from you knowing you are carrying, armed and about to shoot.
    2a. They will produce a weapon in which case you are prepared and can equalize the situation.

The supposition is that if they were in the process of a burglary they could well be armed with a knife or a small handgun or some other implement of destruction.
    I do like the scenario that cmb describes though...nice .....six seconds ain't a lot of time to think.....

As in any situation there are so many variables that different scenarios may make better sense but from what you described that's my take.

Just sayin.......

VIP Member
    Step aside. They are playing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by LEAPSpeaker View Post
    Law Enforcement officers have a lot more weapons training than the average person who carries a handgun. Yet depending on the year as many as 1/5th of the officers killed each year, are killed with their own weapon acccording to the FBI.
    Can you cite a statistic that backs your assertion? My understanding is the reverse is true.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ^This
    Like someone else said, you don't know if you just happen to be in their escape route.
    I would move to cover as best I could, and draw if they change direction with me. If I need to defend myself I will.
    If they keep going the other direction then I will call 911 and report the robbery.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Change direction, quickly, if they follow you even though you cleared their path of travel, then you've been escalated to condition red.

Quote Originally Posted by LEAPSpeaker View Post
    Law Enforcement officers have a lot more weapons training than the average person who carries a handgun.

Wow you lost all credibility with me with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Change direction, quickly, if they follow you even though you cleared their path of travel, then you've been escalated to condition red.
    So what is your tripwire? To go back to the original situation, if you've changed direction and they are obviously heading toward you, do you shoot two unarmed men charging at you?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I like this one.

As for someone who posted I mind my surroundings and would know where the closest car/building is.. I also feel that this is a good answer. As to why I also try and find my "next piece of cover" while out and about.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Cut a diagonal path away from them and give 'orders' to stay away, and if they change course towards you...time to defend your self.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Get out of their way and do not do anything to provoke an attack. We were told in our CCDW class that in KY, the law is typically against the aggressor. You have to think about how a jury is going to judge your justification for your shooting. Taking a life is a serious thing and you must have a very good reason to do it. I'm not sure saying that two looters were running my way is going to give enough of an impression of endangerment that the average person is going to believe you thought your life was in danger. Do everything to avoid confrontation but be prepared to defend yourself.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links