12:00 give me your money !

This is a discussion on 12:00 give me your money ! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ctsketch I do close quarter gun grab training in my self defense class, I'm probably faster at taking control of the gun ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12:00 give me your money !

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I do close quarter gun grab training in my self defense class, I'm probably faster at taking control of the gun hand than I am at DATD (which i've no training in) i'm fairly certain I can get my head off the target and grab his wrist faster than he can pull a trigger (reaction time)
    You should try this with a Airsoft BB gun and face protection. It will really surprise you how often you get shot.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    You may be. And if so, that will influence your actions. Most folks, sadly, are not so trained.

I would recommend that you find a way to try it with simunitions, paint ball or at least airsoft sometime though. Even a slow/soft projectile rather than just a static exercise may show weaknesses you were not aware of.
    You should try this with a Airsoft BB gun and face protection. It will really surprise you how often you get shot.
    Already practice this with snap caps, partner is to try and pull the trigger and shoot me as soon as he perceives movement, got it down to the point where I've already got control of his wrist before I hear the pop.

But then again i've been doing this for over 6 years and speed has always been my strength :)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

We also do unscripted knife defense every once in a while in my class, person is allowed to attack you in any way then want with a rubber knife, i'll tell yeah, very hard to avoid getting cut even just a little, one weapon I would not like to be in a struggle with is a knife!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    We also do unscripted knife defense every once in a while in my class, person is allowed to attack you in any way then want with a rubber knife, i'll tell yeah, very hard to avoid getting cut even just a little, one weapon I would not like to be in a struggle with is a knife!
    I agree. I have faced knives several times. Some nasty scars from it. As I was taught in my first dojo, you WILL get cut. Accept it and keep going.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    I agree. I have faced knives several times. Some nasty scars from it. As I was taught in my first dojo, you WILL get cut. Accept it and keep going.
    against a trained knife fighter doing slashes instead of jabs we are actually taught to accept the cuts. using the bony side of our forearm to protect us while moving in.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

against a trained knife fighter doing slashes instead of jabs we are actually taught to accept the cuts. using the bony side of our forearm to protect us while moving in.
    I will absolutely not face a knife unless I am literally backed into a corner. The first thing they did in the USMC and Krav was show us post knife fight pictures. Delay, Confuse, RUN!

The dumbest training I've seen was Commando Krav Maga, where he did that "take the slash," stuff.

Well obviously fighting it is the last resort, but if you gotta fight, you gotta minimize your damage somehow. against a knife i'll try ad outrun them...or outrun my friend ;).....jk
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

As is mentioned in the narrative of DATD, it is a high level, high risk, maneuver and should be reserved for times that you feel your life is in jeopardy and the only alternative for survival is action. Also mentioned, was that it is not "THE" technique it is "A" technique.
    If you believe that compliance will spare your life then that is obviously the way to go.

As with any method or technique, without training and practice it is domed to failure. As mentioned by Bark'n even with training and practice there is no guarantee of success or freedom from injury. I would suggest that if in a situation that you believe that your life will be forefit regardless of your compliance, that a viable, trained, practiced method or technique will serve you better than some random non trained/practiced action in your attempt to save your life.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    anyone else mention that if the bad guy has the training to hold and point the firearm correctly, he may have the training necessary to retain his weapon in a fight, at that range, trying to bring my firearm into play from out of concealment would most likely end up with me dead. Instead I would reach around behind my back to my wallet side pocket and deploy my knife as I attempted to sweep his arm. No matter how tight his grip is, holding a firearm one handed means he is not expecting a fight. Sweep the firearm, drop my body, and slash his belly with my blade. Then start moving away from him to draw and finish the fight if possible. No I have not trained extensively in martial arts, I do have some training in this, but not very much. However if I felt no matter what I did he would kill me anyway, I would try to return the favor
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'm gonna stick my finger in the end of the barrel just like on TV
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    I do close quarter gun grab training in my self defense class, I'm probably faster at taking control of the gun hand than I am at DATD (which i've no training in) i'm fairly certain I can get my head off the target and grab his wrist faster than he can pull a trigger (reaction time)
    you need to try it with a projectile launched from the gun...airsoft...etc....i have no doubt you are fast but it is surprising how fast real things happen sometimes....youre element of surprise is to your advantage...but if hes quick on the trigger your gonna have a hole somewhere and hopefully you can continue the fight and end it on top...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    you need to try it with a projectile launched from the gun...airsoft...etc....i have no doubt you are fast but it is surprising how fast real things happen sometimes....youre element of surprise is to your advantage...but if hes quick on the trigger your gonna have a hole somewhere and hopefully you can continue the fight and end it on top...
    If I was out of the way and in control before hearing the trigger bang...I think its safe to say I was out of the way of any projectile...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've had a .45 two inches from my nose, and I'm still here to tell you superheros, give up the cash. What makes you so sure he's not looking for an excuse to pull the trigger. Reality is not like the movies.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

How do you determine that he won't pull the trigger as soon as you give him the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    How do you determine that he won't pull the trigger as soon as you give him the money?
    The probability that he would shoot you for grabbing the gun is higher than if he would shoot you if you gave him the money. No guarantees either way but I'd error on the side of surviving giving him the cash. If he drops his guard when he sees the money, blow him away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links