Advancing with a knife

This is a discussion on Advancing with a knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yep....if nothing else for the couple of seconds that it'll take him to figure out what I just did. A surefire at 8 ft even ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Advancing with a knife

yep....if nothing else for the couple of seconds that it'll take him to figure out what I just did.
    A surefire at 8 ft even in the day SHOULD have some effect...if nothing else momentary confusion.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    yep....if nothing else for the couple of seconds that it'll take him to figure out what I just did.

You certainly have more faith in that light than I do at 8 feet. I hope you have two seconds as you suggest. You'll need it, he can be on you in less than one from 8 feet.

If he moves on you while you are going for it because he thinks you are drawing your own knife or gun, you'll not get to either to begin with. Lots of faith in time to present, time to confuse the threat, etc. at 8 feet.

Best of luck if you find yourself in that situation, with that game plan.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

create as much distance as quick as possible. If BG decides to pursue, draw and fire.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I would shoot him.

VIP Member
    I believe the correct response would be.....

BANG, BANG...........

In this situation, MOVE.....MOVE....MOVE.....

That will help throw off BGs momentum & give you more time to draw & fire.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

BANG...BANG...BANG....problem solved!

Pretty Clear...

Knife + "I just want your money." = 2CM + 1H

OMO...

I feared for my life, I thought I was going to die...I'll talk about it with my lawyer present...PERIOD!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    This is hypothetical...
    what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money. You are backing away while drawing your gun but the guy keeps coming. No threat of " i'm going to kill you", he just keeps advancing. Do you shoot him? He sees that you have a gun but advances anyways.
    He has a knife but does not threaten with it other than showing it.
    I am just wondering because I think I would have a hard time firing. I think I might try and run as fast as I can in the other direction. Just give up the wallet?
    What about you?
    I haven't read the complete thread, so if I dupe what someone else says, then I apologize.

Here is my opinion as a LEO. He is holding a deadly weapon, and demanding your wallet, and advancing toward you. First off, what he is saying about not hurting you, totally disregard it. I would consider him more dangerous than someone saying they are going to kill you. He is saying it for a reason. That reason is to distract you from his actual intent. This tells me that he is fully willing to harm you.

He is only 8' away. This is TOO CLOSE! You are backing away and he is still advancing, that is a RED FLAG. He sees your weapon and keeps on coming, RED FLAG. This scanario (for me) is easier than many of the scanarios posted here. Multiple gunshots to center mass until he is no longer a threat.

If you try to run, you are committing a critical, often deadly mistake: you are TURNING YOUR BACK toward a threat. What if he can run faster than you? What if you trip? He is on top of you and you lose!
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I have no duty to retreat here in Florida. If I can't back away, he gets ventilated.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    This is hypothetical...
    what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money.
    I stopped reading here, because my answer is set in stone.
    You draw and fire!

Who gives a flying fig that the guy is "assuring" you that he doesn't want to hurt you?! HE'S ARMED WITH A KNIFE AND HAS MADE CLEAR THAT HIS INTENT IS TO ROB YOU! Are we supposed to consider for even one second the idea that he may be "honest" about not wanting to hurt you? Honestpeople don't come at you with a knife to robyou!

Besides, semantically, he said he doesn't "want" to hurt you. That's not equivalent to him saying he "won't" hurt you. Let's say you are forced to inform him that you don't have any cash on you... Is he guaranteeing that it won't make him mad, and then he will "want" to hurt you?

No question: You draw and you drop him.
    What if part of his very ruse is to falsely assure you, so that he can get close enough to stab you to death?

You are backing away while drawing your gun but the guy keeps coming. No threat of " i'm going to kill you", he just keeps advancing. Do you shoot him? He sees that you have a gun but advances anyways.
    He has a knife but does not threaten with it other than showing it.
    The fact of the knife being displayed IS a threat to kill you. That is beyond dispute. He already told you that he wants your money by threat of force. Why would the knife be out at all if it is not an implied (and very clear) threat to your safety?

The fact that he continues to advance despite seeing your gun means that you need to take steps to educate this man. He's obviously too stupid to live.

I am just wondering because I think I would have a hard time firing. I think I might try and run as fast as I can in the other direction. Just give up the wallet?
    What about you?
    Whether I run or not would depend on a lot of factors. Too many to list here, that's for sure.

Think about the fact that you are 100% legally and morally justified in shooting him; and that if you observe this fact but decline to shoot him, you may well be consigning some other innocent person to suffer at his hands at a later date. It's almost a moral and social obligation to stop him.

This is a situation where having the wallet accessable, so you can "toss" it to the BG would be good.

If he kept advancing after that I would have no hesitation in shooting for being in fear of my life. Of course my hand would already be on a firearm. Either the one in my jacket or pants pocket, depending on the weather.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    If I thought he truly meant no harm, I would just shoot the knife out of his hand. I am not that good of a shot, but I am persistent so I would probably accidentally hit him multiple times in the upper body and head while trying for the knife.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

To quote Clint Smith; knives never run out of ammunition and if he continues to close after you loudly demand he stop, it should start getting a little loud around there or you're not using your head.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    lowflyer...high five!

I agree with a lot of what others are saying. Just putting in my two cents...

I carried pocket knives since I was in the boyscotts (Schrade is my personal fav.) and so I've become pretty talented with pocket knives.

Anyways, getting straight to the point, knives are personal. To get up close to your personal space is enough reason to get into defensive mode. Believe me, 8ft is nothing for me. Sometimes I think about it, and I pretty much feel that if I were to be threatened in close range, I would most likely pull out my pocket knife before I draw a firearm just because I am more familar with it. But we'll see if it ever happens, which I PRAY it never happens.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links