Advancing with a knife - Page 5

Advancing with a knife

This is a discussion on Advancing with a knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Skippy, you may be more familiar with your pocket knife than with your carry gun, but is it more effective for the job than your ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Advancing with a knife

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Skippy, you may be more familiar with your pocket knife than with your carry gun, but is it more effective for the job than your carry gun?

Why would anyone in their right mind force himself to use a defensive tool that requires that he also be within striking range of his attacker? In order to use your knife, you have to be close enough where he could use his. Are you a master of martial bladecraft? Can you guarantee to yourself (or to your wife/girlfriend/mom/dad/kids) that you can put him out of your misery without him managing to cut or stab you?

I'm also curious what Schrade knife is so quick into action. I am not real familiar with their line (I'm off to knifecenter to check them out after this post) but I submit that if you are that big on Schrade, it's only because you haven't been looking enough at Spyderco.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    This is hypothetical... what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money.
    Would shoot to stop, and shoot immediately, stopping only when the BG was down and out and completely unable to continue being a threat.

A knife at a distance of one quick stride is no joke. Anyone that thinks 8ft is any amount of distance at all, when a lethal weapon is involved, is smoking something. At 8ft, the BG has already closed all distance and confronted you. One step and a slash ... and you're cut, perhaps mortally so.

In the hands of anyone who knows how to use it, it's deadly; in the hands of any dolt, it's still incredibly dangerous. You'd have to be a H2H knife expert in order to be able to go toe-to-toe with another person wielding a knife and yet come out unscathed, if the training from the "top" schools is any indication. "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" becomes a crystal clear warning in situations like this. For good reason. Hesitating or choosing incorrectly can get you killed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Stand your ground, draw your weapon, aim low at the pelvis and if bg continues to advance empty clip at point of aim. He can still advance with winging shots to the head or chest but a shot to the pelvis(which is the largest bone in a human and is needed to support our entire weight)will drop the bg immediately neutralizing any contact weapon.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

Knives don't run out of ammo and if it's within 20 feet you draw your gun and get busy. Period.

Lots of answers

Ultimately, it comes down to where you live as far as the legality of your response. Now, the law in GA. states (regardless if I'm working or not) that I must articulate three elements for a justified use of deadly force 1- ability 2- opportunity 3- jeapordy. The senario you present offers all three elements. I don't care what the guy says to me, and at eight feet distant, I doubt there would be much in verbal commands (that's called being behind the eight ball in a big kind of way). I don't know anybody who would want to be shot, but I will say that I'm scared to death of being cut up. And condition yellow (at a minimum if you are not in your house) should not have let him get that close with a knife in his hand to begin with.
    I do not in any way intend this as a personal shot at you. But I would suggest knowing the answer to the question before carrying a weapon for personal defense. Which ever choice you commit to, you get to live with.
    If trouble finds you, fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Arc.

you pretty much got your answer but i'll throw in my two cents. the same law applies to a knife as well as a gun. concealment. if you see it, that's brandishing. too easy, about what do in the danger zone. shoot to kill. dead men don't tend to argue with you or sue you. then the police only have to work with your side of the story. now i say this as is the given scenario. 8' is way to close for me to think about doing it any other way.

Present firearm and with his next step forward.......... fire 2 into the center mass.

He has the ability to stop the aggression and I have the ability to protect my own life.

Someone that close will be on top of you before you can really begin to act so this scenario will favor someone properly trained over someone unprepared.

The intent is there...the knife, the demand for your money as well as his persistent approach in an aggressive manner.

Only a fool would take the dirtbag for his word............a bad guy with a conscious? LOL

Ayoob use to carry around a matchbook with a 10 dollar bill paper clipped to it, he would toss it onto the ground for the bad guy in the hopes the 10 spot would stay off the confrontation, buy him a few precious seconds of time and provide the bad guy with a second to decide his fate.

I believe he use to say that ten bucks was worth not having to kill the scumbag and spend all the time proving himself innocent to the 12 that would judge him.
    TecRsq
    North Gawga

The Oath of the Right-Wing Extremist:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands. One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I would try to maintain the distance between me and the BG. If he closes to much I would have to take the shot. No regrets. If this BG sees I have a gun and chooses not to obey my comands to stop then he will no longer be among the living.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

shoot him to the ground...anything else is asking to be killed.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I don't know if I would even speak before double tapping him. Beyond twenty feet I might give a warning, but inside that distance I am less than three seconds from suffering a lethal inury. Inside ten feet I might go for two the chest and one to the head.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    Run....and increase distance don't even draw(also be loud and very verbal " I don't want any trouble, I don't have any money to give you, be loud, it draws the attention of others and can help your case if you have to squeeze on him). Yeah, this sounds wimpy, but trust me it could save your life and prevent alot of lawyer bills later. Now, for the average punk the guy is simply going to pick another target. However, if you find yourself in a corner and can't get away like running to your car in a parking lot or something. Do what you must to protect your life. Now, if the guy has broken into my house. He will get the flavor of the day.
    Dude, turn your back and run from a guy that is 8’ away with a knife? I am too old and fat to make the track team anytime soon. Even if I was in prime shape I don’t think running is an option. People have been killed with knives for a million years before we figured out how to make things go bang! Heck they are still being killed with knives! Didn’t someone on this site post some pictures of a LEO that tried to go hand to hand with a BG with a knife? I think that if this guy kept advancing after the first “Stop…Drop the knife! Do it, do it now!” This guy would hear a loud noise shortly after that.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    This is hypothetical...
    what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money. You are backing away while drawing your gun but the guy keeps coming. No threat of " i'm going to kill you", he just keeps advancing. Do you shoot him? He sees that you have a gun but advances anyways.
    He has a knife but does not threaten with it other than showing it.
    I am just wondering because I think I would have a hard time firing. I think I might try and run as fast as I can in the other direction. Just give up the wallet?
    What about you?
    Holding a knife and "I don't want to hurt you" directly conflict. I've seen what a sharp knife can do in the hospital, cut tendons, skin literally peels away like the backside of a shrimp, internal organs exposed, drastic blood loss...not pretty.

Having a knife and walking towards me is a direct threat on me.

Try typing 'knife wound' into Google's image search with the filters turned off. You'll probably have no problem ventilating somebody weilding a knife after that.

Once the BG pulls a knife its time to start shooting.

A knife is a lethal weapon. It's as simple as that.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    If my weapon is drawn and BG is still advancing 8 rounds will go on a little trip over to BG land.

Weapon not drawn, very ugly and no easy way out. Three times that distance is still too close for somebody with any level of skill involving bladed weapons. My response would depend on many different factors such as whether or not BG is staggering, how he is holding knife, wearing a mask or not, type of knife and our location in relation to the general herd (population).

One way I could handle it would be to turn run 2 steps and then turn immediatly to attempt to deliver a blow to the throat, or solar plexus. (Hopefully confusing him with this tactic) Straight running will get you ventilated, attempting to draw will also most likely get you killed. I carry defensive knives at all times and if the opportunity presented itself I would go for the knife before the gun at a range of 8ft. That way at least I could attempt to harm him enough to break away and then draw my pistol.

Ugly situation best option would be to follow the old addage "Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure" by not letting BG get that close.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links