Advancing with a knife

This is a discussion on Advancing with a knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On one of the other sites the same question came up.. Someone found a training video.. Guy with a knife 20 feet away.. They ran ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Advancing with a knife

Bring a knife to a gunfight

On one of the other sites the same question came up.. Someone
    found a training video.. Guy with a knife 20 feet away.. They ran the scenario about 20 time with different people.. How many time did the guy with the knife win ??? Well it was 19 out of 20 and 20 would have taken one hell of a wound.. Most times the gun guys didn't even know they had taken a hit. ( it was a fake knife with chalk on it ) If
    you see a weapon, and he is still coming at you, pull it out and take aim.. If he doesn't stop and drop it in command, then you have no
    option..

2. Remove Ads

a blade in the hand is worth two slugs to the chest.

From the FBI files-

Any perp armed with a blade that advances to within 21 feet
    of their opponent is well within the boundary to carry out a serious
    threat to any armed individual. Studies have proven that legally
    armed persons cannot draw and fire within a reasonable time frame
    to stop this imminent attack. In other words, without quick feet
    you are very likely too get stuck somewhere. Quickness of the
    feet is the key element here- Keep Moving While Shooting At
    The Suspect to eliminate the threat~!

Sponsor
    Ala Dan;

There are those who can pull this off from 21 feet pretty easily from their concealed rig. The real effort is to wait to move till he is fairly close if he has been shot. The closer he is when you move, the less he can change his direction and track you.

I know three people who can pull this off reliably besides myself, two are on this forum as members. One has pulled it off against three at 21 feet and hit all three before they could advance on him to be a threat [ though they may have continued into him on the street, they were all shot before they could advance 14 feet ]. None of the people I've mentioned are gamers, but carry on the street and practice certain skills that allow this type of action.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

At 8' turning to run is not an option. If you turn to run how much time have you used just to get turned around and then trying to get your legs in motion to run? IMHO backing up is not an option either. What if you stumble over something as you're backing? He is still moving in the same direction towards you, and can quickly close the distance. Best bet is to move laterally (sideways) away from him, and opposite the side he is holding the knife. At the same time, draw your firearm and use it only to "stop the threat." If he just happens to die as you attempt to "stop the threat," that was a choice he made. Most important of all is to do your damnedest not to let a possible threat get anywhere near that close. Stay safe and alert.

8' is way tooo close!!! Shoot NOW and don't stop until absolutely, positively, without a doubt 110% sure that the threat is gone! Ammo is cheap, emergency rooms and caskets are costly.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

AzQkr- Greeting's Sir-

I guess I'm getting a bit old and feeble after that near fatal MVA
    back in March of '98; as the fused neck won't allow me to move
    like I once could, way back in my younger years or prime army
    days. I still practice a whole bunch, so maybe if it ever occurs
    I will be prepared~?

TPO
    If you get your gun out in time and cannot run for whatever reason; old, crippled no place to run for saftey; then shoot center of mass to stop the threat. The knife IS A DEADLY THREAT and the BG has stated his intentions by words and actions. The BG is advancing with demonstrated deadly intent to rob you. Debate at this point is meaningless and futile. Now if the BG turns and runs upon sight of your gun coming out of its place of concealment. Then let him go and IMMEADIATELY call the cops. He could be calling the cops on you or go somewhere else to seek another victim.
    If you can not shoot in the face of deadly force then do not carry a gun. I advise some deep soul searching and thought on your own part about your willingness to act. There is no shame in not carrying a gun or being unable to shoot someone; but it is very foolish to die and let the BG get your gun due to unwillingness to use in self defense.

Sponsor
    Ala Dan;

Sorry to hear about the MVA sir. We're all getting old, injuries take their toll in the later years where moving is concerned, no question.

It's technique that I was talking about mainly. I know there are others who can probably do the same thing when threatened at 21 feet, but I know 3 others who definately have the skills.

I think it is probably a moot point to begin with as I've rarely heard of a knife attack that started at 21 feet, and then it was standoffs with cops, not the perp starting to rob a ccw carrier from that distance.

Hope you stay well,

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

AzQkr has written well....

My plan is:

1) Prepare to get cut. It will happen.
    2) Attack H2H...hoping that a) I can control his knife arm immediately and b) that I haven't slowed down as much as I think I have.....

Oh.... #'s 3 through 10: Prepare to get cut.

11: Hope I can do enough damage H2H to disarm him and get enough distance to draw.

Handgun at 8'....same response...except replace "cut" with "shot" and "knife" with
    "gun"....

ETA: Rationale: If I believe that the assailant will use the deadly force he has threatened...then I will be injured in any case. It can be on his terms or mine. If it's on his...I have less of a chance of survival than I do if it's on mine...IMHO.

Michael
    Last edited by DizTbone; April 12th, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Administrator

Wink Hummmmmmmmmmm

"They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money."

??? ???
    Shoot him and then tell him that it really is OK...You didn't want to hurt him either?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money."

??? ???
    Shoot him and then tell him that it really is OK...You didn't want to hurt him either?
    LMAO!!!!!

Where are we? in a parking lot , hallway , front yard, stop and rob. Most places I am there is some kind of cover to put between BG and me. At 8 feet I am screwed. A normal man can cover that distance in about 1 second. Maybe Bob Munden could shoot him, but I couldn't. I would have to run for cover as quickly as possible. Put ANYTHING between us and then draw and fire. With no cover I might fall on my back, draw and fire from the ground. If he closes kick his knee to stop forward momentum. I think I would stand a better chance of keeping him off of me with my boots than my hands. Just my opinion. This is a good tread, realy got me thinking. One thing for sure if someond is approaching you with a knife out you better take him serious, could be the last thing you see.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I think I would stand a better chance of keeping him off of me with my boots than my hands. Just my opinion. This is a good tread, realy got me thinking. One thing for sure if someond is approaching you with a knife out you better take him serious, could be the last thing you see.
    Wise thinking. My boots have a hefty leather outer with some ballistic grade abrasion resistant material for breathing on the sides, with the leather going up 1/2 way of my shin. The strongest muscles in my body are in my legs as well.

Sure beats my bare hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Wise thinking. My boots have a hefty leather outer with some ballistic grade abrasion resistant material for breathing on the sides, with the leather going up 1/2 way of my shin. The strongest muscles in my body are in my legs as well.

Sure beats my bare hands.
    Perhaps...but if he slashes your legs while you're doing that...You've effectively grounded yourself. Although the real goal is to keep him off long enough to get your CCW out and in use so it may still be effective anyway. I'd rather use my hands for control purposes, but that's the way I was trained. Lot's of different ideas being presented here...gives me pause to continue to evaluate all options.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links