Advancing with a knife

This is a discussion on Advancing with a knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Enough said. seve...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Advancing with a knife

Bang

Enough said.

seve

2. Remove Ads

I would try to get some distance between me and the guy with the knife. I would point out to any one close that this guy has a knife and that he intends to rob me. Call 911 if posible. If all else fails and he keeps advanceing I would shoot. After he is down make sure the knife dosen't disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    This is hypothetical...
    what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money. You are backing away while drawing your gun but the guy keeps coming. No threat of " i'm going to kill you", he just keeps advancing. Do you shoot him? He sees that you have a gun but advances anyways.
    He has a knife but does not threaten with it other than showing it.
    I am just wondering because I think I would have a hard time firing. I think I might try and run as fast as I can in the other direction. Just give up the wallet?
    What about you?

I yell drop the weapon once and if he continues to advance with knife I fire until threat neutralized with no regrets. Castle doctrine state. Screw these criminals. No mercy.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I would draw while saying "oh it's ok i'm not going to shoot you.. trust me".

He is an imminent threat and therefore "toast".
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by stolivar View Post
    Enough said.

seve
    You forgot... bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

As Bobby Hill would say... "I don't know you... let go of my purse!" stomp on his foot, kick to the groin and run!

Ok, in all seriousness, a man with a knife demanding money and slowly advancing... My gun would be in my hand, pointed directly at the aggressor in a two hand combat grip and I would give a loud and clear command to cease or I Will Be Forced To Shoot You!

Street savy criminals may not be intimidated by the mere presence of a gun in your hand... especially if they perceive you to be too scared to use it.

It is the resolve they see in your face, your aggressive combat posture with the gun pointed at them and the commanding tone of your voice that will be the sobering experience that makes them rethink their intentions to proceed or not.

Of course I will be looking for a way to escape, because whether I'm in the right to shoot, I do want to avoid shooting someone if at all possible. But if I have no escape route, or my wife who has limited mobility is with me, I will shoot if he does not obey the verbal challenge and command to cease.

Under no circumstances would I turn my back to him if I am slowly trying to retreat. It is encumbant upon him to break off the attack. If I am slowly backing away, while maintaining a combat stance at gunpoint. all the while giving him commands to leave and he in fact keeps advancing... then I have the perfectly reasonable right to assume he plans to pursue me and I will shoot!
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 13th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

"I am just wondering because I think I would have a hard time firing."

In my book anybody holding a deadly weapon if a huge threat never mind the crap they're saying. I've seen first hand what a 14 year old punk can do with a 3 inch blade, I just wish I had pics of my friend. She was mutilated for life over just 23 dollars even now it makes me so friggin mad thinking of it. I do have a link I'd like you to see. A pic is worth a thousand words right, what do you think of shooting after seeing this?

http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/edged_weapon.html
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

8' and closing, wants my wallet ?

I hope I'm pocket carrying...

Else turn sideways, weak side to BG, draw and -

Doh Had a brain fart and goofed what I meant to say. The whole thought woulda been. I'm just wondering about specifics, terrain, people, location, and alot of others factors. If it's my life or his there's always room in Hell for garbage right. Pepper spray, even tazers and stun guns wouldn't stop this guy from doing massive damage. You might live but be scarred for life, no way.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

I would shoot. If someone is advancing on you with a deadly weapon, They are a threat to your life...even if they say "im not going to hurt you"
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

What is the liklihood of a BG "advancing" slowly enough from 8 feet (unless he's from Resident Evil, or he's a Zombie) for you to go through your warning algorythm?

8 feet can be covered in less than a second

I can't believe I let this one go by for nearly 100 posts before it caught my eye!

If the BG is within 8 feet, you've let him get too close anyway to try and draw on him and expect to live. Any distance inside of 21 feet and he can reach you inside of 1.5 seconds (from 21 feet) and stab you multiple strikes. You want to stay alive the only way to do so is to go hand to hand, at first. Count on getting cut.

The alternative is to use some form of nonlethal defense mechanism like OC or MAYBE a Taser. An expandable baton might do the trick, but the liklihood of having one handy is pretty limited to uniformed cops.

Turn your back on the perp to run? You'll wind up a pin-cushion. If you have an already drawn gun you might stand a chance and you'll be legal because the BG is within striking distance to deliver a blow that almost guarantees imminent danger of death or great bodily harm which is the usual standard for use of deadly force. If he's seen your gun and continues to advance that's all the prep you need. Take a GIANT step to the side and rear and SMOKE 'EM!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    This is hypothetical...
    what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money.
    He's bleeping dead and the cops would never even think of arresting me. Period.

Several years ago I took a class from a guy who (at that time) trained professional bodyguards and he made me a believer in the 21 foot rule. He gave me a dummy handgun and stood 15 feet from me with a rubber knife. He came at me with a duck, a little sidestep and a lunge, and afterwards, I gave myself a 20% chance of hitting him and a 100% chance of getting cut. I was amazed.

Inside 25 feet I will draw to shoot. I may hesitate if the perp spins and runs, but in the original posted situation, I would not hesitate.

That's my $0.02
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Bleeding Heart, Gun-Toting Liberal (sort of)

I am no leo but what is the liklyhood on the street of someone wavinga knife at you from greater then 21 feet. Okay walking along towards your car dum te dum. Hmm that guy looks a might bit scary. But a lot of people do these days. I suspect he would close in to a up close and personal before pulling the weapon. Either you get your gun out on general principles before he got to close or you gun is in your holster. It is hard to tell as every situation is different but generaly he just want o rob you so okay I would not have to act scared because for most of us the old fight or flight would be singing it's song. Okay I am just going to give you my wallet toss it down and let him go for it that may buy you some time to draw. As much as we hate to give in to the bad guy I would just give him the wallet the 20-40 bucks I carry is not worth getting stabbed for. That does raise another issue if he takes the money and withdraws at that point you are no longer justified in shooting him I suppose. If you do make sure the wounds are in the front not the flank or the back whups as then you could have some explanin to do. Not to minimize those knife wound pictures but none of those shown were life threating they were all ugly but clean slash wounds into the subcu tissue some blood loss painful but not deadly. I am not a leo or fight instructure but a MD and unless you hit the carotids with a slash generaly they have to be puncture wounds to kill.
    I think a huge difference in the sceanrio is if you have your gun out already or not. As already mentioned terrain would be big issue as well. If you could put a car between you and him that would buy some time as well I think.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links