Advancing with a knife - Page 8

Advancing with a knife

This is a discussion on Advancing with a knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I think the general consensus is the same... shoot him. Talking or no talking, the moment I see anyone near me that I don't ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Advancing with a knife

Senior Moderator
    Okay, I think the general consensus is the same... shoot him.

Talking or no talking, the moment I see anyone near me that I don't know pull a knife who isn't in a situation where pulling a knife would be normal (a Subway employee pulling a knife to cut bread for my sandwich for instance), my gun is coming out too, talking or no talking.

It's already been said that 8' is way too close for a man with a knife.

If you don't know whether you could shoot a man with a knife who was talking sweetly then I have to worry about you a little bit.

Not that you're a bad person or anything, but to admonish you to do a little research on what bad guys will say while they are hurting people.

Some rapists tell their victims that they love them and to be quiet and that it's okay, they ask them if they are having fun, they say that everything is just fine, they tell them they don't want to hurt them. I'm pretty sure the girl knows otherwise.

If a guy is holding a knife and approaching you it's bad news, PERIOD. He should be put down, hard and fast before he has the opportunity to demand anything.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    I am not a leo or fight instructure but a MD and unless you hit the carotids with a slash generaly they have to be puncture wounds to kill.
    ??? Truuuue. If its a "basic mugging", you're probably fine. If its anything else, he's going to beat that little sticker into you like chef with a cheap steak. Given the general trend of our urban dwellers, be polite, be professional, and look for the opening to do unto them.

In the real world, there isn't much practical difference in penalty for car jacking, and car jacking after stabbing/shooting/beating the owner, unless the owner is elderly or a mother w/child. So, .....if you look/act like someone fun to beat on, they probably will. You need to understand the mindset. Hard to be an effective practioner with one arm that doesn't work.

I was instructed to say while drawing, "STOP, YOU ARE SCARING ME-bangbangbangbang". The reasoning for this is if for some reason he doesn't die, or there are other witnesses around, you have covered the fear for your life part when being interviewed in court.

or if closer "STOP, HELP" again implied fear which is what gets you off the hook in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    ??? Truuuue. If its a "basic mugging", you're probably fine. If its anything else, he's going to beat that little sticker into you like chef with a cheap steak. Given the general trend of our urban dwellers, be polite, be professional, and look for the opening to do unto them.

In the real world, there isn't much practical difference in penalty for car jacking, and car jacking after stabbing/shooting/beating the owner, unless the owner is elderly or a mother w/child. So, .....if you look/act like someone fun to beat on, they probably will. You need to understand the mindset. Hard to be an effective practioner with one arm that doesn't work.
    sorry I was responding to the pictures posted by hoosyrdaddy a page or two back at this link caution a bit gory.

http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/edged_weapon.html
    They were posted to show what a knife can do and while nasty wounds I was trying to point out not fatal ones but more typical of the ones I personaly have seen in the emergency department. I once stitched up a nice young lady whose bad choice in men had filleted her easily over a 150 sutures but all slashes .... he never hit anything vital ( thank god) btw love the avatar

As an aside to this whole scenario the bg probably has a gun too

Only thing to say is..."Hello...911. I just shot someone..."

Quote Originally Posted by flmitchell View Post
    Only thing to say is..."Hello...911. I just shot someone..."
    You forgot to say... "I just shot someone who tried to kill me"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd try to get distance without turning my back. While getting distance, I'd be yelling "take my wallet" and I would toss my wallet towards him as HOPEFULLY a brief distraction. I would then immediately draw and fire if he hadn't turned his back and run off.

How to tell...

It is hard to tell as every situation is different but generaly he just want o rob you so okay I would not have to act scared because for most of us the old fight or flight would be singing it's song. Okay I am just going to give you my wallet toss it down and let him go for it that may buy you some time to draw. As much as we hate to give in to the bad guy I would just give him the wallet the 20-40 bucks I carry is not worth getting stabbed for.
    I know an excellent way to tell is someone who is approaching you with a drawn knife wants to stab and kill you or just wants to rob you.

Ready?? This is how you know.. (works EVERY time)

See if he stabs you.

(no other way to know his intentions.. other than just waiting to see if he stabs you. Then, you can show your puncture wounds to the EMS guy to prove that the mugger was serious)

Same with an assailant with a gun. How do you tell if he just wants your money or if he is willing to shoot you? See if he pulls the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    sorry I was responding to the pictures posted by hoosyrdaddy a page or two back at this link caution a bit gory.

http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/edged_weapon.html
    They were posted to show what a knife can do and while nasty wounds I was trying to point out not fatal ones but more typical of the ones I personaly have seen in the emergency department. I once stitched up a nice young lady whose bad choice in men had filleted her easily over a 150 sutures but all slashes .... he never hit anything vital ( thank god) btw love the avatar

As an aside to this whole scenario the bg probably has a gun too
    Getting OT here, but you sound like a man who would have the interest. The psychology of the slash and stab are very different (generally). Slashing, in the context of someone who does not have loads of experience killing people with knives, is generally to disfigure. This is particularly true in DV, and with spontaneous LE assaults. The perp hates what the victim represents; love, beauty (subjective, believe me I know!), or the power of authority are the things the perp wishes to publicly disfigure.

Stabs (given that rapiers aren't common, anymore) are generally good ole' hammerfist, with all the potent, injury-focused rage that implies.

I know where you're coming from. I came off 5 years in ED/EMS work, and tried Corrections. Psychologically I was completely unprepared. In context of convicts, everything is a power-play. There is no real "de-escalation". A confrontation that dissipates is a test to see how far a situation can go before the other party is ready to fight. I did it long enough to realize I was going to get seriously screwed up if I didn't find something else. Corrections is a microcosm of bad-actors on the street, so.........

If you startle him by making a movement for your gun, he will close in pretty quickly with that knife. He can get to you in less than a second.

I wouldn't try to run either, because you risk him being faster than you.

My solution would be to throw him a dummy wallet (stuffed with minimal money, lots of receipts and business cards) while he's 8' away. Pull your gun while he's picking it up.

If you're too slow and he closes in on you: remember that amateur knife fighters often forget that they have two hands and two legs to fight with and usually just swing and strike with only the knife.

I Dunno....

Quote Originally Posted by credy View Post
    If you're too slow and he closes in on you: remember that amateur knife fighters often forget that they have two hands and two legs to fight with and usually just swing and strike with only the knife.
    I was taught that lifting a leg from the ground during a fight only puts you off balance and vulnerable. Still, you're correct...especially if his entire focus is on his blade.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sponsor
    I was taught that lifting a leg from the ground during a fight only puts you off balance and vulnerable.

You were taught well. I keep my feet under me and stay balanced at all times during H2H and blade work as I was taught over many years by one of the emeritas' in the industry, James Keating.

Balance and keeping your center is important to staying up and running and not finding yourself on the ground pdq.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Aikido works....

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Balance and keeping your center is important to staying up and running and not finding yourself on the ground pdq. Brownie
    That's one of the central themes of Aikido. Balance and center promotes harmony. I love Aikido. It has saved my hide in the classroom more than once. Performed correctly Aikido doesn't leave marks and it is never effective in the offense. Purely defensive in nature, Aikido is great for beating charges or lawsuits.....not that I've ever been charged....or sued....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Sponsored Links