Advancing with a knife

This is a discussion on Advancing with a knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is hypothetical... what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'. They kept walking towards you ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advancing with a knife

Advancing with a knife

This is hypothetical...
    what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money. You are backing away while drawing your gun but the guy keeps coming. No threat of " i'm going to kill you", he just keeps advancing. Do you shoot him? He sees that you have a gun but advances anyways.
    He has a knife but does not threaten with it other than showing it.
    I am just wondering because I think I would have a hard time firing. I think I might try and run as fast as I can in the other direction. Just give up the wallet?
    What about you?
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

2. Remove Ads

He is a deadly threat and is within a distance that he can do real harm, never believe anything someone says who is threatning you with a deadly weapon. I would shoot.

I spent a lot of time training with a knife in my younger days as a martial artist. If the guy is any good at all at 8 feet with you having a holstered weapon you're in deep trouble. Knife fighters often train in diversionary and/or concealment techniques to help them get close so don't plan on even seeing the blade if the guy is really good. Running will be a lousy option as it exposes you to being knifed from behind and he'll have a wealth of targets on you then.

If it's just a scumbag who is holding at that range you're still in one tough spot. I'd go for a diversionary shout, throw keys in his face, anything to throw him off and then go for lateral movement and draw. I'd still be hoping for a whole lotta luck at that range.

A good man with a knife is way more lethal than you would think. Be as scared of him as you would a guy with a gun. There is a good reason they have a "21 foot rule" for dealing with a knife wielding perp!!! It's also why the good ones will make sure you don't see it untill the odds are stacked in their favor.

Eric
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462
    This is hypothetical...
    what would you do if someone drew a knife but was a little ways from you...say 8'.
    They kept walking towards you but with the knife down and kept saying reasuring phrases like...its ok, I dont want to hurt you, I just want your money. You are backing away while drawing your gun but the guy keeps coming. No threat of " i'm going to kill you", he just keeps advancing. Do you shoot him? He sees that you have a gun but advances anyways.
    I am just wondering because I think I would have a hard time firing. I think I might try and run as fast as I can in the other direction. Just give up the wallet?
    What about you?
    If he has no interest in harming you, why is he holding a lethal weapon?

If he is advancing, having seen that you have a gun and despite your order to stop, I submit that it is completely unreasonable to believe that he has no intent of harming you.

Matt

Run....and increase distance don't even draw(also be loud and very verbal " I don't want any trouble, I don't have any money to give you, be loud, it draws the attention of others and can help your case if you have to squeeze on him). Yeah, this sounds wimpy, but trust me it could save your life and prevent alot of lawyer bills later. Now, for the average punk the guy is simply going to pick another target. However, if you find yourself in a corner and can't get away like running to your car in a parking lot or something. Do what you must to protect your life. Now, if the guy has broken into my house. He will get the flavor of the day.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    Have to disagree with BlueLion here.

I would have no problems shooting the guy. Anyone who carries a weapon intends to use it. Period. Why else would he have it?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

+1 to Copper Knight. This Guy is SERIOUS IMMEDIATE THREAT!!! Maybe you can turn and run. This guy has Already threatened your life by advancing with a knife. Who is to say that if you turned and tried to run that he would not pull out a gun and plug you because he didn't want any witnesses to his botched robbery. I would have no problem shooting this guy. I think I would be able to articulate in court that my life was in danger.

If he has no interest in harming you, why is he holding a lethal weapon?
    Exactly, words have no meaning in this day and age.

Double tap COM.......
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462
    I think the appropriate respnses have been well covered, but the statement is oxymoronic- "showing" is "threatening". Not flaming or being a SA, but examine your mindset. I worked EMS for a good while, and the emphasis is, obviously, "talk it down". Unfortunately, this is the thinking of a majority of the population, now, and it has hard and fast limits.

The standard, in this instance, is lower for you than LEO- if LE was presented with this, the guy would ride the Tazer if he took one more step, or get shot if there was no Tazer issued. I doubt seriously that any LE would try OC at that proximity.

Running not an option

Quote Originally Posted by calireserve
    +1 to Copper Knight. This Guy is SERIOUS IMMEDIATE THREAT!!! Maybe you can turn and run. This guy has Already threatened your life by advancing with a knife. Who is to say that if you turned and tried to run that he would not pull out a gun and plug you because he didn't want any witnesses to his botched robbery. I would have no problem shooting this guy. I think I would be able to articulate in court that my life was in danger.
    +2 to Copper Knight. I know the general rule is 21' for the danger zone, but being trained to use a knife, quite frankly I'll tell you 30'! No one advances on you with a weapon in that manner and doesn't intend to use it. Running is a bad idea. You effectively turn it into a foot race. What if he's faster? What if he is familiar with knife techniques? THere are too many answers left open by running (not to mention you've left your back exposed which in reality means you have not only compromised your central nervous system but also most of your major organs. The only way to resolve this is to go with distractionary and movement techniques(unless your are VERY skilled in knife fighting) to give you the time to draw and fire.

A threat by any other name . . .

Threat with a deadly weapon: Shoot until he's on the ground and no longer a threat. Best tactics for managing the draw from concealment and target acquisition will depend on situation, but the decision to respond should have been made before the event occurred. Respond decisively and with violence!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Assistant Administrator
    This situation is approx ''one lunge'' from being stabbed.

If someone is crazy enough to want to purely threaten (as they see it) then tough cookies because the mere presence of weapon in hand essentially means game on. A delay here if no good escape option could be fatal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    +1 for apply lead liberally.

I'd try to run my ass off and put great distance between he/she and me.

At 8' thats too little distance and thus time to do anything else but stand there and get cut into doilie patterns.
    If worst came to worst I'd close the distance and get to his strong side taking hold of his wrist with my strong hand and using mu weak arm to throw elbows to the face, throat and sternum while standing on his strong side foot (immobilize his movement away from me).

I'd much rather run though and gain either distance, concealment or hard cover to then regroup and reassess if not reply with fire.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thumbs down

Difficult to make a decision unless you know the terrain. 8' is very close and my gun would be in my hand in the 3rd eye position.

If I could not get something in between me and him, could no longer retreat safely, and he was not paying attention to my verbal warnings, then I would be running out of options, and shooting might become the solution.

Very situational.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links