*VIDEO* Guy gets attacked & robbed at the ATM There are lessons to be learned here..

This is a discussion on *VIDEO* Guy gets attacked & robbed at the ATM There are lessons to be learned here.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LINK to the Video This video makes me wonder if I should even use ATM's. This was a breeze for this criminal. Unfortunate this victim ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *VIDEO* Guy gets attacked & robbed at the ATM There are lessons to be learned here..

*VIDEO* Guy gets attacked & robbed at the ATM There are lessons to be learned here..

LINK to the Video

This video makes me wonder if I should even use ATM's. This was a breeze for this criminal. Unfortunate this victim could have just as easily been stabbed or shot from behind.

How can you prevent this from happening to you?

-matt

2. Remove Ads

I would definitely be upset at whoever was driving the van because they didn't have my six. 360 SA is a must with any ATM visits in my opinion. I believe had he been exercising 360 SA, he would have seen the BG approaching and could have reacted accordingly. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    That is one of the main reasons I rarely use a walk-up ATM. When I use a drive-up ATM I pull up close enough to prevent anyone from getting between the ATM and my vehicle.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm not absolutely sure it was a robbery and not just an ethnic attack.

I don't even have an atm card. I keep a c note stashed in my wallet for times I might get caught short.

First of all, the ATM user was in "La-La Land" when he should have been looking around. Once on the ground, if attacked from behind, the dirtbag turned his back on his victim...a great chance for the victim to produce a firearm and put the dirtbag's lights out permanently.
    Scumbags like this deserve only to have their oxygen intake capacity being permanently halted.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I would definitely be upset at whoever was driving the van
    This wasn't America... Looks like England. The guy getting mugged is the driver of the van - RHD vehicle. Watch the video again. The victim looks to his right and probably does spot the BG. Something alerted him to the danger. Then he overrides his instinct, thinking, "Nah... it's probably OK..." and etc.

The attack is actually quite skillful. Watch again and pause at the moment of strike. The BG's right hand loops up and hooks the victim's neck, and then the BG drives through with a blend of 'forward' and 'down' energy. He uses his left knee to assist the action. Gravity and the hardness of the pavement do the rest. It's a powerful attack, and the best defense would be knowing how to fall.

How can you prevent this from happening to you?
    When your instinct alerts you to a threat, as happened here, halt the transaction and do something else. Pretend to get a phone call or something. Head back to the van. Keep an eye on the person setting off your alarm.

Because I study this kind of martial art - I was practicing pretty much this exact move this morning in class - I can tell you that a winning response involves "getting over" the downward pull. Raising the tailbone and dropping the chin would probably drop the guy. Raising the right arm and turning to the right would drop him. The attacker is bringing momentum to the party and it can be used against him. Better SA would prevent the issue entirely.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Shockwave..you are correct...Definitely driving on the left side...My Bad! Thx for calling it to my attention.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I would definitely be upset at whoever was driving the van because they didn't have my six. 360 SA is a must with any ATM visits in my opinion. I believe had he been exercising 360 SA, he would have seen the BG approaching and could have reacted accordingly. JMO
    Note the cars on the wrong side of the road? He got into the driver's side. He was probably alone.

What gets me is that he goes back to the ATM and still has no SA.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Well I think he saw the guy approach. He just dismissed it as the attacker looked like an American military personnel. Buzz haircut, clean cut looking dude with a polo shirt and shorts. The only thing that convinced me he wasn't a US Military is he wasn't wearing flip flops.

In all seriousness, though, he looked in the direction of the attacker as he approached. I think he simply dismissed the guy because he looked clean cut and not like a thug. Big mistake. He let his guard down.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yup - England. If the victim did anything to the BG, the vic would probably do major time, while the bad guy got a slap on the wrist. This happen over and over in that island insane asylum.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    How do I avoid this? It doesn't take a concerted effort to operate an ATM machine. 98% of my attention is to situational awareness and scanning the area for threats, 2% is for pushing a button. Anyone who does otherwise is a fool.

Also, try to avoid using an ATM at night as your chances of attack increase exponentially. Criminals are tricky. I remember a few summers ago I ran into a friend in the parking lot of a rite-aid. He told me he was almost robbed and to keep an eye on the tree line incase anyone comes out. There is a bank with an ATM across the street from the rite aid, and as he was at the ATM he saw a few guys come charging out of the tree line in the rite-aid parking lot crossing the street and running straight at the ATM. He took off and pulled around the far end of the rite-aid parking lot and called 911. Police showed up and the idiots took off.

That was just an example. The criminals were hiding a good 60-70 yards from the ATM, in the thick of a tree line. The time it takes to close 60-70 yards is probably around 5 seconds. In that time they can come from virtually nowhere to on top of you and you wouldn't even expect it. You need to keep vigilant.

RKM
    I would have nailed that guy straight in the balls as I was on the ground. I've been punched in the face. It's not THAT bad.

ouch, if this happened to me, I would have drawn and fired from the ground.

The BG was in commission of a felony (robbery) involving the use or threatened imminent use of force.

that is strange how he was attacked, he didn't fight back, the assailant talked to him several times while on the ground, leaning over him etc. I would say that either this guy was totally a wimp or it was staged. And certainly it was not in USA
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    That was just an example. The criminals were hiding a good 60-70 yards from the ATM, in the thick of a tree line. The time it takes to close 60-70 yards is probably around 5 seconds.
    60-70 yards in 5 seconds, come on now, the 40 yard dash in 4.5 sec. is average speed for an NFL running back. 70 yards in 5 sec. would be olympic sprinter speed. 60-70 yards in more like 10 seconds for an average young guy at a decent sprint pace. But I get your point.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links