calling the cops before or after? (intruder scenario)

This is a discussion on calling the cops before or after? (intruder scenario) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a scenario: Let's say I live alone, . I am awakened. I quickly get my gun out of my lock box, turn on a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: calling the cops before or after? (intruder scenario)

calling the cops before or after? (intruder scenario)

Here's a scenario:

Let's say I live alone, . I am awakened. I quickly get my gun out of my lock box, turn on a hallway light get behind a wall in front of where the noise happened, and say "Who's there? I have a gun, now get out!". I hear the burglar run off, and I check to make sure he is gone.

Is there a law that requires me to call the police before attempting a confrontation?

If there isn't, would you call the police before confronting the intruder, or wait until after he's gone before calling?

2. Remove Ads

You are doing it wrong

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Is there a law that requires a home owner to call 911 before defending themselves during a home invasion? Not that I'm aware of, but being that you're in California I wouldn't be suprised if the prosecutor tried to make such an arguement....

I would do whatever I needed to survive. First priority is getting myself ready to defend, then you can have someone else dial 911.

As a matter of safety, you should grab your phone and dial 911 as soon as you possibly can. In most places, 911 can trace your call and get help on the way without you saying a word. In the event that the BG gets the drop on you, the police will already be on their way. Anything that 911 records over that phone may also help prove your self defense case.

Cordless phones are a great thing, you can take them with to investigate a bump in the night or clip them on your belt while connected to 911 while you deal with Mr. Scumbag.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I live in a 560sq ft house, much like an apartment sized. If someone's inside, I don't have TIME to grab anything besides my gun.

Although, if I deem that there is time I don't mind dialing 911 and leaving the line open

ETA: If you live alone...why is your SD gun in a lock box??
    Last edited by Tala; July 18th, 2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: second thoughts
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    As a matter of safety, you should grab your phone and dial 911 as soon as you possibly can. In most places, 911 can trace your call and get help on the way without you saying a word. In the event that the BG gets the drop on you, the police will already be on their way. Anything that 911 records over that phone may also help prove your self defense case.

Cordless phones are a great thing, you can take them with to investigate a bump in the night or clip them on your belt while connected to 911 while you deal with Mr. Scumbag.
    That's false information. The police will not just trace your call and arrive at it's location upon first contact with no prior knowledge of a situation, who you are, or what the situation is.

Unless they hear "stop, I have a gun! Get out of my house!!" This is first hand directions from a 911 operator and a deputy in the county that I live in. I was told "get the line open and worry about the rest later. We can hear an awful lot over that phone line". You are correct that they wont respond to a dead line, but they will respond to a line that they can hear a crisis happening on.

I learned allot in the time that I had a violent felon who wanted to kill me evaded the law. It was not a fun experience having an active threat on my life, but I got a huge reality check and allot of insight on how to stay alive.

Dial 911...the recording could be your only chance in court to show justification. No castle law here in Minnesota.

Another senario you might need to consider is that a more experienced robber might cut that flimsy RJ45 cable outside before entry. Do you sleep with your cell phone near? What if you have to get your cell from a charging station down stairs? So many of us have IP phones via a service like Vonage. What if they cut your coax link outside killing your cable service?

Just some thoughts that were posed during a recent home defense class. I now sleep with my phone charging in the bathroom off my bedroom.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

I don't plan to start a conversation with them..... it's "out now" followed by probably a torrid of name calling, and ... whatever is felt necessary to protect myself.

I had an incidence with someone trying to break in my back door one night.... quietly..... and I sat there with my dog growling, handgun to my side, and shotgun pointed at the door, just in case someone actually came thru the door. Later, I was relaying this to the Chief of Police and told him that he might want to have his patrols in this area watching for that. He asked why I didn't call 911 first ..... my answer , because if someone comes busting in thru my door ... I'ld rather have my shotgun in my hand than a dang telephone, and 911 is worthless here (you'ld spending 20 minutes telling them your name, DOB, etc while they verify you are who you say you are === not joking).

He asked why I didn't call afterwards, I told him.... I checked the yard, etc. and cleared it, and I was tired and wanted to go to bed, not answer a lot of stupid questions..... and besides that's why I"m telling you now. If they had come back, my dog would let me know.

He handed me his home phone number and said ; "if it happens again, right after you get your gun... call me at home and I'll come over". He lives a couple of blocks away from me. LOL.

I've also walked into my house (not this one) and interupted someone buglarizing it... which was a real surprise, and since then... when I enter my house, I expect it.... to be on the safe side. There are certain things if they are disturbed at all.... gun is drawn and cocked.

Since I dealt with a lot of violent people and cases, it was always wise to be safe first. There have been times I backed out and made a call in for officers to come to the house.......... and let them clear it ... as I worked for the State and figured it was better if they dealt with it rather than my having to explain it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by rickmn50 View Post
    Dial 911...the recording could be your only chance in court to show justification. No castle law here in Minnesota.

Another senario you might need to consider is that a more experienced robber might cut that flimsy RJ45 cable outside before entry. Do you sleep with your cell phone near? What if you have to get your cell from a charging station down stairs? So many of us have IP phones via a service like Vonage. What if they cut your coax link outside killing your cable service?

Just some thoughts that were posed during a recent home defense class. I now sleep with my phone charging in the bathroom off my bedroom.
    Trace on cell phones is not great and response time is much greater. Many places do not even have this technology. It is very important to tell them where you are with a cell phone. My instructor told us the same thing about burglers cutting phone lines. Cell phone lines cant be cut!

If I'm awakened and instantly in condition orange or red, I'm not grabbing the phone right away.

I will call 911 but business must be handled first. I don't live alone so wife &/or child will be on the phone pretty quick......I'd be busy me thinks. I'd have to clear my house first.

Now, setting up a defensive position in a bedroom (this is a 'living alone' sceniro) with your HD/SD weapon and calling 911 is a very good idea. This is something that should be thought out a little (the defensive posit I mean).....Check your home/apartment setup and go from there......what you'd do, how you'd go about it, etc., etc.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Nice to see that almost all replies were "call 911" first. Always "what ifs" but it makes perfect sense, IMO, to make the call first and foremost. In my case it is just my wife and I and, at night, the bedroom door is locked and the phone, the car alarm activator, and the 38 and 12g are behind the locked door. I will make the call, activate the car alarm, make sure I "crank" that pump shotgun loud and clear and will follow my predetermined procedure for where I will be when or if that locked bedroom door is defeated. I WILL NOT (again it is just my wife and I in the bedroom--no one else anywhere else in house) confront someone who may be a lot better armed and experienced over insured "stuff" (man must know his limitations). I do not intend to die over silverware. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by jzattack View Post
    Here's a scenario: Let's say I live alone, . I am awakened. I quickly get my gun out of my lock box, turn on a hallway light get behind a wall in front of where the noise happened, and say "Who's there? I have a gun, now get out!". I hear the burglar run off, and I check to make sure he is gone.
    How do you know there is only one?

Is there a law that requires me to call the police before attempting a confrontation?
    No.

If there isn't, would you call the police before confronting the intruder, or wait until after he's gone before calling?
    Situation dependent. Use good judgement. If you call before, call 911 and leave the line open. If you call afterward, make sure they send the coroner.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In my home, my first priority is the safety of the household. I have very dim green night lights in every room, but I could easily move around the corners in complete darkness. I can easily see the main areas (with both front and back doors) with just a minimal view, and little exposure on my part.
    I do have a large dog who knows when strangers are around...that helps.

The wife will call 911 while I help some dirtbag end his decision to continue trying to enter my home...if inside, we have a plan for that, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

You need to arm yourself ,secure the door to your bedroom (it should have a lock on it) stay there and call 911. You should have a good flashlight and you should be able to get behind some type of cover which has some bullet resistence to it and a clear view of the bedroom door. Keep your gun and flashlight aimed at the door. You now have a posistion in which to defend yourself from until the police arrive. Stay on the line with 911 and continue to give them information. Once the police arrive they may need to forcibly enter your residence since the safe place for you to be is where you are now. If the intruder(s) is in your home you do not need to confront them if at all possible. Once the 911 operator tells you the police have your residence secure and are outside your bedroom door then you can leave your defensive posistion.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links