Gunpoint in the driveway - Page 2

Gunpoint in the driveway

This is a discussion on Gunpoint in the driveway within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bsms All he did was flash a gun? And he didn't pull it? Nod and continue to unload the car. He has ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunpoint in the driveway

Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    All he did was flash a gun? And he didn't pull it?

Nod and continue to unload the car. He has established his 'power', but hasn't threatened you yet. If you go for your gun, he's likely to go for his and you'll be trading shots at 6 feet - a great way for both of you to die. And even if it goes well...if he's a gang member, you have probably just marked your parent's house for revenge. Just a thought.
    I'm not real sure I would continue my activity after someone has flashed a gun at me. I think he has made his point very clear by his actions that he isn't there to help you unload or to carry on a conversation as to whether LeBraun made the right decision to go to the Heat. Waiting to comply based on his instructions is not going to be in my nature. I'll deal with a "marked house" after the fact...It's time to let "lil Gangster" reap some of the benefits of his poor choices...JMO

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You pull up your shirt to display a gun and I'm thinking you are going to draw and shoot me,I will act accordingly,911,I just had a guy threatened me with a gun,I need help,send a ambulance
    Exactly MY thoughts...JMO (along with dukalmighty)

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    You are driving to your parents home, you are arriving around... 10 PM. it is a residential area on the outskirts of a city so there are lots of other homes and lots of other cars parked about the street.

You pull into their driveway, get out and because you are always checking your six you see someone walking up your parents driveway. As you turn to face them you keep your right hand(or w/e you gun side is) at your side and the stranger says

"Yo ***** whats up?" as he lifts his shirt and flashes a weapon in his waistband. At this point you already draw as he flashes you and you order him down on his knees. You don't know if he has friends, or who he is, your parents are inside. you are alone outside, what do you do?
    I don't believe I would draw and "order him down"...I am not trained for that. His intentions have been made, I have drawn and will defend the "threat to my life". Then I will assess the situation, do a 360 scan, top off my ammo, and dial 911 to inform them to send an ambulance because someone threatened me with a gun and I was in fear of my life... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Administrator
    At this point, he has crossed the point of no return. Assuming he is still advancing towards me, there will be no "ordering" and flex cuffs are laughable at this point. 'nuff said.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    At the moment of the approach, the flash of the gun, and the "greeting", would you be in fear for your life?
    at night, stranger, flashes gun while approaching you and cursing? umm yea!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    At this point, he has crossed the point of no return. Assuming he is still advancing towards me, there will be no "ordering" and flex cuffs are laughable at this point. 'nuff said.
    If he wasn't already on his knees as per the OP, I would agree with you. Just trying to reply to what is given.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    If he wasn't already on his knees as per the OP, I would agree with you. Just trying to reply to what is given.
    But it does not say he is on his knees; it only says you ordered him to do so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

All he did was flash a gun? And he didn't pull it?

Nod and continue to unload the car. He has established his 'power', but hasn't threatened you yet. If you go for your gun, he's likely to go for his and you'll be trading shots at 6 feet - a great way for both of you to die. And even if it goes well...if he's a gang member, you have probably just marked your parent's house for revenge. Just a thought.

"Nod and continue to unload the car"

A great way for you and your parents to die.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Years ago, I had a Sgt who worked for me who grew up in east St Louis. His oldest brother had recently been paroled for killing a white guy - because he was white. Two of his brothers were in prison for armed robbery. Two others got away with armed robbery.

If someone has grown up in the rough part of town and is walking the streets with a gun, he won't think like I do. You put your hand on your hip around me, and I think you are putting your hand on your hip. For someone whose brothers have committed multiple crimes, when you move your hand to your hip and catch the edge of your shirt, you are getting ready to pull your gun and he knows it. And he has his where it is easily accessible.

Maybe you are like the instructor who taught the CCW class I took. He said he practices drawing his gun for 30-40 minutes a day in front of a mirror, and his wife is cool with it. Mine would divorce me. But let's assume you can pull a gun fast. Guess what - so can he. When you start your pull, he'll start his. Maybe you are faster, but you are still trading shots at 6 feet within a second of each other. Maybe you kill him. Maybe he kills you. And as the OP understands, he may have friends behind you.

You don't have the drop on him. You are already in the hole, trying to get back out with a gun. But you have set yourself up where the most likely outcome is shooting at close range. If one of his bullets nicks your femoral artery, you'll die on your parents driveway. Way to go!

Now lets assume you are Bill Jordan, and you pulled so fast the BG who didn't pull on you had no chance to do so. You order him to the ground. Maybe he runs off - let him. Shooting a guy in the back would be really stupid...but if you don't, he may be back in 2 minutes with a shotgun and friends. Maybe he complies. If you are me, and in a neighborhood near me where this scenario could plausibly play out, you are a middle-aged white guy with a Mexican lying at your feet in a Mexican-dominated neighborhood. Let's just say you are a LONG way from getting out of your hole! Four Mexicans drive by and see a white guy pointing a gun at a Mexican lying at his feet...does this sound like we are about to have a happy ending? And me with my 5-shot J-frame! Guess I should have bought a Glock...

Now let's assume you are lucky, and it all goes well. You tie up the guy like a trussed chicken, the cops arrive...and the woman across the street video'd the whole thing. The cops now have a tape of you pulling a gun on a guy, forcing him to the ground, tying him up and threatening his life. Once again, does this REALLY sound like it is going to have a happy ending?

Better to stay out of the hole to begin with. Assuming your parents won't move (my Mom wouldn't), time your visits for daylight. If you can't, case the house before parking. Do SOMETHING to prevent the scenario from starting - because once it does, you are surfing the wave & hoping you ride it instead of it riding you.

If you do get in the hole, you have to decide it you are willing to trade shots at close range with your family nearby waiting for any bullets that miss you (they came out at all the noise). And if the guy was a member of a gang, then when his family sues you in civil court, the judge probably won't allow that to be entered into evidence, since you didn't KNOW it at the time. While the case is in court, the gang decides their reputation is going into the gutter, so 8 of them break into your parents house, shoot your Dad, gang-rape your mother and then kill her. The video shows you pulled on a guy who hasn't pulled a weapon, and the majority of the jury in the civil case decide there is a 51% chance you were wrong, and award the BG & his family $1.2 million.

All of this assumes the DA doesn't play politics and haul you into court on a criminal charge, and you get to spend 8 years in jail.

Oh...and the profanity? I've met people who greet their FRIENDS that way!

Now, lets assume you don't pull a gun first. Maybe he walks off. That is a non-zero probability. If he really was planning on robbing or killing you, he would have pulled the gun, not flashed it.

But suppose he does pull the gun. Now you still aren't a lot worse off than before. He can shoot you a second or two before you shoot him, but you still have the option of trading shots at close range - just like you had before.

Some other options...to delay or gain distance. Toss him your wallet. Then move to put the car between you as you draw. Now you trade shots, but part of you is covered by the car. Or after tossing him your wallet, run perpendicular to him across the yard. I've never practiced shooting a running target, and I'd bet neither has he. Again, if you can get to the parked cars or a tree, you can turn around and engage from cover on a guy who assumes you do NOT have a gun - since guys with guns don't run away. Maybe you are unlucky and he shoots you in the head as you run...sucks to be you. But his odds of hitting you while you run are much less than if you are trading shots at a standstill from 6 feet or less. I met a truck driver once who turned and ran into the desert when 3 armed robbers got the drop on him. All 3 shot at him as he ran. He was hit a couple of times but made it to the cover of darkness. That was with 3 armed robbers who already had their guns drawn and who had killed a guy a few days earlier.

Just some thoughts. But if you want to quickdraw and go toe-to-toe in a stationary gun battle at close range...have a nut.

Good point, also maybe I should have left this one more open
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Good point. Based on the lack of mention of noncompliance and immediately moving to other subjects, I presumed compliance.

Years ago, I had a Sgt who worked for me who grew up in east St Louis. His oldest brother had recently been paroled for killing a white guy - because he was white. Two of his brothers were in prison for armed robbery. Two others got away with armed robbery.

If someone has grown up in the rough part of town and is walking the streets with a gun, he won't think like I do. You put your hand on your hip around me, and I think you are putting your hand on your hip. For someone whose brothers have committed multiple crimes, when you move your hand to your hip and catch the edge of your shirt, you are getting ready to pull your gun and he knows it. And he has his where it is easily accessible.

Maybe you are like the instructor who taught the CCW class I took. He said he practices drawing his gun for 30-40 minutes a day in front of a mirror, and his wife is cool with it. Mine would divorce me. But let's assume you can pull a gun fast. Guess what - so can he. When you start your pull, he'll start his. Maybe you are faster, but you are still trading shots at 6 feet within a second of each other. Maybe you kill him. Maybe he kills you. And as the OP understands, he may have friends behind you.

You don't have the drop on him. You are already in the hole, trying to get back out with a gun. But you have set yourself up where the most likely outcome is shooting at close range. If one of his bullets nicks your femoral artery, you'll die on your parents driveway. Way to go!

Now lets assume you are Bill Jordan, and you pulled so fast the BG who didn't pull on you had no chance to do so. You order him to the ground. Maybe he runs off - let him. Shooting a guy in the back would be really stupid...but if you don't, he may be back in 2 minutes with a shotgun and friends. Maybe he complies. If you are me, and in a neighborhood near me where this scenario could plausibly play out, you are a middle-aged white guy with a Mexican lying at your feet in a Mexican-dominated neighborhood. Let's just say you are a LONG way from getting out of your hole! Four Mexicans drive by and see a white guy pointing a gun at a Mexican lying at his feet...does this sound like we are about to have a happy ending? And me with my 5-shot J-frame! Guess I should have bought a Glock...

Now let's assume you are lucky, and it all goes well. You tie up the guy like a trussed chicken, the cops arrive...and the woman across the street video'd the whole thing. The cops now have a tape of you pulling a gun on a guy, forcing him to the ground, tying him up and threatening his life. Once again, does this REALLY sound like it is going to have a happy ending?

Better to stay out of the hole to begin with. Assuming your parents won't move (my Mom wouldn't), time your visits for daylight. If you can't, case the house before parking. Do SOMETHING to prevent the scenario from starting - because once it does, you are surfing the wave & hoping you ride it instead of it riding you.

If you do get in the hole, you have to decide it you are willing to trade shots at close range with your family nearby waiting for any bullets that miss you (they came out at all the noise). And if the guy was a member of a gang, then when his family sues you in civil court, the judge probably won't allow that to be entered into evidence, since you didn't KNOW it at the time. While the case is in court, the gang decides their reputation is going into the gutter, so 8 of them break into your parents house, shoot your Dad, gang-rape your mother and then kill her. The video shows you pulled on a guy who hasn't pulled a weapon, and the majority of the jury in the civil case decide there is a 51% chance you were wrong, and award the BG & his family $1.2 million.

All of this assumes the DA doesn't play politics and haul you into court on a criminal charge, and you get to spend 8 years in jail.

Oh...and the profanity? I've met people who greet their FRIENDS that way!

Now, lets assume you don't pull a gun first. Maybe he walks off. That is a non-zero probability. If he really was planning on robbing or killing you, he would have pulled the gun, not flashed it.

But suppose he does pull the gun. Now you still aren't a lot worse off than before. He can shoot you a second or two before you shoot him, but you still have the option of trading shots at close range - just like you had before.

Some other options...to delay or gain distance. Toss him your wallet. Then move to put the car between you as you draw. Now you trade shots, but part of you is covered by the car. Or after tossing him your wallet, run perpendicular to him across the yard. I've never practiced shooting a running target, and I'd bet neither has he. Again, if you can get to the parked cars or a tree, you can turn around and engage from cover on a guy who assumes you do NOT have a gun - since guys with guns don't run away. Maybe you are unlucky and he shoots you in the head as you run...sucks to be you. But his odds of hitting you while you run are much less than if you are trading shots at a standstill from 6 feet or less. I met a truck driver once who turned and ran into the desert when 3 armed robbers got the drop on him. All 3 shot at him as he ran. He was hit a couple of times but made it to the cover of darkness. That was with 3 armed robbers who already had their guns drawn and who had killed a guy a few days earlier.

Just some thoughts. But if you want to quickdraw and go toe-to-toe in a stationary gun battle at close range...have a nut.
    if the 100s of possibilities in an encounter stop you from EVER drawing a gun until you're already being shot.... maybe its best you don't carry one?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I didn't grow up in the nicest of cities either
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I didn't grow up in the nicest of cities either
    I believe that local "conditions", for lack of a better word, tend to effect ones response.

If you were in fear for your life, you'd be legally justified in shooting. So why the detailed response? Bang.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    If you were in fear for your life, you'd be legally justified in shooting. So why the detailed response? Bang.
    I don't believe that it is that black and white. Fear is often not even mentioned in justifiable homicide statutes. So far you have brandishing/display, but no actual ADW. Without an actual assault I think you have a "state of mind" shooting that based on your fear might or might not be justified, depending on a number of things.

if the 100s of possibilities in an encounter stop you from EVER drawing a gun until you're already being shot.... maybe its best you don't carry one?
    Well, I pulled an open carry gun once, so yes...there are times it makes sense. But let's see...some here say if a person uses obscenity and flashes (but doesn't pull a gun), you are in danger of your life and "you'd be legally justified in shooting. So why the detailed response? Bang."

Well, on 29 July, it will be legal to carry a concealed weapon without a permit in Arizona. Open carry is already legal, and so 'flashing' a weapon won't be illegal. Brandishing - taking it out and behaving in hostile manner - will still be...but flashing while using obscenity is NOT justification for killing. At the point where the OP is ordering the guy to his knees, the guy has done nothing illegal in Arizona. That doesn't mean you cannot draw - there was nothing illegal 30 years ago when 8 guys started to surround me - but you need to be able to convince the DA and a jury - including a civil jury, where it is majority vote and 51% confidence - that a reasonable man would be afraid for his life at that point.

Further, there is no guarantee your gun will make him do squat. That is one of the reasons I like my S&W Model 60 - with a 5 shot J-frame, I don't feel very compelling. When I have an 8 shot .45, I feel like the Boss. But maybe the bad guy - if he is a bad guy - won't feel intimidated. So what do you do when he doesn't obey? What do you do when his friends show up? What do you do when you try to tie him up, as some have suggested, and he takes your gun away because he did 4 years in prison and they practiced taking guns away from cops? What do you do when you are sued for threatening and tying up a law abiding citizen - which is what the guy would be in Arizona on 30 July, assuming no CCW permit?

That is why the emphasis needs to be on not getting into the hole to begin with. Once you are in it, the options start looking pretty grim. I don't want to be in west Tucson with my gun pointed at a Mexican when the cops show up...and hear me say I felt threatened because he looked like a bad person. That isn't going to have a happy ending.

Here is another possibility...maybe you will agree, or maybe you'll think it stinks...pull your gun and be prepared to shoot him but do not point it directly at him. Say softly, "Let's both just go our own way..." If he goes for his gun, you probably can raise your gun and shoot him. If he prefers to walk away, let him...then immediately call the cops.
    Last edited by bsms; July 20th, 2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add another option to consider

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links