Gunpoint in the driveway - Page 6

Gunpoint in the driveway

This is a discussion on Gunpoint in the driveway within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; show compliance until i can move off the x and to some cover, evaluating the situation the whole time, If things elevate and go bad, ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Gunpoint in the driveway

show compliance until i can move off the x and to some cover, evaluating the situation the whole time, If things elevate and go bad, I'm firing.
    I rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Me, After the "yo, wazzup" in the situation of the OP - I'd draw, shout loud to "stop right there", when he doesn't stop or run away, I shoot to stop the threat. Look for his driver while taking cover around the other side of vehicle. I was just the victim of an attempted armed robbery, or worse.
    How hard is this anyway? Maybe it's where I grew up that I can resonably assume this. I've been the victim before (robbery, random violence, etc.), now with the family, I can't afford to be one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Moderators refer to that as "working around" profanity. Counts same as.
    so I have to explain that the person said something profane instead of writing asterisk? thats makes no sense. I thought working around profanity is substituting a word thats sounds like the profane word, not writing a bunch of stars or characters...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    For fun, turn this scenario around. You're out for an evening walk and pass someone at the end of their driveway, maybe they're getting the paper or something. Just as you say hello a gust of wind pulls back your cover garment and exposes your firearm.

If the stranger is armed could he be in fear of his life and fire? I don't think so.

My response to the situation described would be to draw, and back away to cover. They would then get an order to "turn, run, get out of here." Any moves towards the weapon or failure to comply gets a response. Otherwise I call 911 when they're out of range.

Except, your turn around is not a turn around... its not even the same scenario
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Call 911...Scan with flashlight (which is always with me). Keep gun on BG.

NEVERMIND...reading is fundamental....

Edited to add:

He's got a gun...he's made his intent clear "comply or I'll use my gun"

Beat him at his own game...except my life is at stake. STOP. THE. THREAT.

Then call 911

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

Nodding and going about your business will get you injured or killed in a hurry.
    He is not there to ask about wanting to sell you girl scout cookies, or tickets to the policemans ball.
    Normal people with CPL's are not going to walk up, say yo dude, flash their pistol, and begin chatting about the weather.

"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage within ten years." - A very wise man
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

For me, two to the chest. He's already armed, expressed intent to cause you deadly bodily harm. I don't know what else you're waiting for, unless you want him to shoot first.

I think you are over-thinking things.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Since we all got roped into this dream, it would have more to do with 'fear for life' or perceived intent. Under the circumstances I would have likely drawn my weapon without any thoughts of "he loves me ~ he loves me not". However, I would not attempt an arrest style take-down and if at all possible, I would rather see the guy leave without restrictions.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'd ideally comply with him assuming his hand goes no where near that gun. My car and a few bucks in my wallet will cost a hell of a lot less replace compared to the cost of a lawyer and associated fees. I know that doesn't sound as bad-ass as some of the other options but I'd rather be alive and not in prison than risk a murder trial or getting shot at point blank.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    For fun, turn this scenario around. You're out for an evening walk and pass someone at the end of their driveway, maybe they're getting the paper or something. Just as you say hello a gust of wind pulls back your cover garment and exposes your firearm.
    This is vastly different than the scenario presented in the OP. A gust of wind is far different than intentional lifting your shirt to display a weapon. That is identical to what many robbers do in the commission of a robbery. One could easily bring hundreds if not thousands of store and bank clerks to testify that is exactly what the robber did when they were robbed. It is an intentional deliberate threat. Not a gust of wind. He has lifted his shirt you now have under a second before he plants a bullet in your body, unless you stop him.

My response would be the one that our self defense laws permit when I am in fear of my life and well being. I am not a police officer I am not trained in escalating use of force I am not trained to detain a violent felon. I am a civilian trained to end a life threatening threat. Which is to place two HST .45 slugs center of mass. Repeat as needed until the threat stops.

If I am charged, once I have proven my innocence the state of Washington is required by law to pay for the most effective and expensive defense I can manage to provide.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    If I am charged, once I have proven my innocence the state of Washington is required by law to pay for the most effective and expensive defense I can manage to provide.
    I have never heard this before, is it true?

If so, I wonder what other states do the same thing?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post

Absolutely true. No I do not think many if any other states has a similar law. IMO Washington state is by far one of the most pro SD states in the Union. We have always been a shall issue state, always open carry without a permit, civilians right to use force by law is greater than that of the police, castle doctrine has always been the standard, lethal force is justified for the defense of property, against fleeing felons, as well as those committing a felony (any felony)

RCW 9A.16.110
    Defending against violent crime — Reimbursement.

(1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.

(2) When a person charged with a crime listed in subsection (1) of this section is found not guilty by reason of self-defense, the state of Washington shall reimburse the defendant for all reasonable costs, including loss of time, legal fees incurred, and other expenses involved in his or her defense. This reimbursement is not an independent cause of action. To award these reasonable costs the trier of fact must find that the defendant's claim of self-defense was sustained by a preponderance of the evidence. If the trier of fact makes a determination of self-defense, the judge shall determine the amount of the award.

(3) Notwithstanding a finding that a defendant's actions were justified by self-defense, if the trier of fact also determines that the defendant was engaged in criminal conduct substantially related to the events giving rise to the charges filed against the defendant the judge may deny or reduce the amount of the award. In determining the amount of the award, the judge shall also consider the seriousness of the initial criminal conduct.

Nothing in this section precludes the legislature from using the sundry claims process to grant an award where none was granted under this section or to grant a higher award than one granted under this section.

(4) Whenever the issue of self-defense under this section is decided by a judge, the judge shall consider the same questions as must be answered in the special verdict under subsection (4) [(5)] of this section.

(5) Whenever the issue of self-defense under this section has been submitted to a jury, and the jury has found the defendant not guilty, the court shall instruct the jury to return a special verdict in substantially the following form:

answer yes or no
    1. Was the finding of not guilty based upon self-defense? . . . . .
    2. If your answer to question 1 is no, do not answer the remaining question.
    3. If your answer to question 1 is yes, was the defendant:
    a. Protecting himself or herself? . . . . .
    b. Protecting his or her family? . . . . .
    c. Protecting his or her property? . . . . .
    d. Coming to the aid of another who was in imminent danger of a heinous crime? . . . . .
    e. Coming to the aid of another who was the victim of a heinous crime? . . . . .
    f. Engaged in criminal conduct substantially related to the events giving rise to the crime with which the defendant is charged?. . . . .
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post

Yes, other states have it, not sure which ones (all the laws are written a little differently).

And some states have an even better one....if the police do not charge you, you cannot be civilly sued, period. Me...I like that one.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

/\/\....Thank you!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

While not specifically addressing reimbursement, Idaho Code does provide an umbrella for SD.

TITLE 19
    CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    CHAPTER 2
    PREVENTION OF PUBLIC OFFENSES
    19-202A.Legal jeopardy in cases of self-defense and defense of other threatened parties. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting himself or his family by reasonable means necessary, or when coming to the aid of another whom he reasonably believes to be in imminent danger of or the victim of aggravated assault, robbery, rape, murder or other heinous crime.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links