Gunpoint in the driveway

Gunpoint in the driveway

This is a discussion on Gunpoint in the driveway within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are driving to your parents home, you are arriving around... 10 PM. it is a residential area on the outskirts of a city so ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunpoint in the driveway

Gunpoint in the driveway

You are driving to your parents home, you are arriving around... 10 PM. it is a residential area on the outskirts of a city so there are lots of other homes and lots of other cars parked about the street.

You pull into their driveway, get out and because you are always checking your six you see someone walking up your parents driveway. As you turn to face them you keep your right hand(or w/e you gun side is) at your side and the stranger says

"Yo Dude whats up?" as he lifts his shirt and flashes a weapon in his waistband. At this point you already draw as he flashes you and you order him down on his knees. You don't know if he has friends, or who he is, your parents are inside. you are alone outside, what do you do?
    Last edited by rstickle; July 20th, 2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Language
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

and you order him down on his knees
    Unless you're a LEO, I'm not sure you should be "ordering" anyone to do anything. The normal outcome of the situation you're describing is to point your weapon and say, "beat it." Trying to prone the guy out and hold him for arrest gets into some legal areas that are state-dependent. If you do elect to do this, then disarming the perp is probably more urgent. "Take out your gun with two fingers..." etc.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I would imagine I'd be on my cell phone calling 911. If he made any aggressive moves I would act accordingly.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Since he brandished his weapon, I'd feel that he did so as a threat. He'd be face down, arms out while I yell for assistance and keep my distance. Other than quick SA glances to check the area, I wouldn't take my eyes off him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I was thinking of my parents home when I dreamt up this scenario actually. one of my main concerns was... if he does have a friend they could already be going around the house and get me from behind. I was trying to ...

A.) think of a safe way to stand
    B.) think of a safe way to escape and make us all safe
    C.) call 911 without being distracted.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Scary thing is If I step out of my vehicle letting my parents out and I am aproached by someone in a threatening manor that shows they are armed I am gonna defend my life. I am kinda trapped by the car and car door and this person who I don't know if they are alone is armed and means to do me harm. I can't say for sure but if when I draw is the BG does anything but throw his hands up I am probably gonna shoot. if he gives up and I haven't shot I am having my parents call 911 while I back myself into a possition that I can see the BG and protect my backside incase he has backup.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Local statutes and attitudes will have some bearing on what your actions are.

Prone him out, grab a flex cuff from my truck while watching him and hook him, then secure his weapon.
    I don't normally plan to hook people, but keep a couple flex cuffs in my truck should the need arise.
    One touch dial the house and do a code check that everything is ok inside the house, then tell dad to grab a gun and be prepared for a forced entry.
    Dial 911 and advise conditions.
    Wait for the PD near the front door using the bg as a shield.
    When the PD arrives again call the house and advise that conditions are secure.
    The chief of the local PD, whom I know, welcomes citizen involvement in battling local crime.

As I have stated befor, any actions I take are not suggestions for others and are based on my own training and experience.

All he did was flash a gun? And he didn't pull it?

Nod and continue to unload the car. He has established his 'power', but hasn't threatened you yet. If you go for your gun, he's likely to go for his and you'll be trading shots at 6 feet - a great way for both of you to die. And even if it goes well...if he's a gang member, you have probably just marked your parent's house for revenge. Just a thought.

You pull up your shirt to display a gun and I'm thinking you are going to draw and shoot me,I will act accordingly,911,I just had a guy threatened me with a gun,I need help,send a ambulance
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post

Nod and continue to unload the car. He has established his 'power', but hasn't threatened you yet. If you go for your gun, he's likely to go for his and you'll be trading shots at 6 feet - a great way for both of you to die. And even if it goes well...if he's a gang member, you have probably just marked your parent's house for revenge. Just a thought.
    The indication of profanity and the with the exposed weapon indicates a threat to me.
    According to the OP you have already got the drop on him.
    We don't have gangs per se, or on a violence level of the big cities.
    I have dealt with gang threats before. Not pleasant, but sometimes necessary.
    Last edited by rstickle; July 20th, 2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Quote of language from 1st post

That is a great defense,ignore them and they just go away,most people that brandish a gun usually want something,like your wallet or your car,flashing a gun is a threat,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wait, so a stranger comes to you at night and brandishes a weapon and your response is to turn your attention away?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Call 911...Scan with flashlight (which is always with me). Keep gun on BG.

NEVERMIND...reading is fundamental....

Edited to add:

He's got a gun...he's made his intent clear "comply or I'll use my gun"

Beat him at his own game...except my life is at stake. STOP. THE. THREAT.

Then call 911
    Last edited by SIGguy229; July 20th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

At the moment of the approach, the flash of the gun, and the "greeting", would you be in fear for your life?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That is a great defense,ignore them and they just go away,most people that brandish a gun usually want something,like your wallet or your car,flashing a gun is a threat,
    yea you right

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links