Home Invasion Averted - Page 2

Home Invasion Averted

This is a discussion on Home Invasion Averted within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CyanLite For me, anybody that comes to my door after dark gets greeted with my XDm. No exceptions . I've had my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Invasion Averted

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    For me, anybody that comes to my door after dark gets greeted with my XDm. No exceptions. I've had my family come over at night one time (no prior notice) and they got greeted with it.

Solicitors like to come around my way on the weekends, selling newspapers or whatever, I never fully open the door for them because I have a suspicion that some of those folks are there to scope out your place, rather than sell you something.
    Your post was very interesting.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Does anyone have any other strategic suggestions for me? And buying a new house is not an option. I still believe in quality of life over length of life.
    You might want to consider some decorative wrought iron security grids to back up some of that glass. Maybe on that antique warehouse door with the large 4 x 6 glass pane.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Windows can also be protected with clear, self-adhesive polycarbonate plastic film ... actually shatterproof (and bulletproof if thick enough).
    “To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

I dont really need one. I can talk thru the door pretty easily
    The point of the intercom system in your case would be to have the inside controls in another room, maybe the kitchen. This way you don't have to get right by the door to speak to whoever is outside. That way the person outside can't see whether you're armed, how threatening you are, etc.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

This is a good reminder for me.

My house in the main living area is practically see-thru. Floor to ceiling windows on one side, including onto back porch....and a huge ex-warehouse front door with a 4x6 solid glass inset. (It's a unique and cool house...*sigh*...but not perfect)

In daylight I could answer my doors with my gun and at least be watching the other side. At nite, no.

This is a good reminder for me to head straight for my safe room/bedroom after dark...I can even open the window and ask visitors to identify themselves from there if they are at the front door. And no one should be at my back door at nite...there's no sidewalk to follow or guide people back there. That is automatic 911.

My front gate is usually locked after dark, so no one should be at my door unnanounced after dark. (rural property). I also have 2 alert dogs.

Does anyone have any other strategic suggestions for me? And buying a new house is not an option. I still believe in quality of life over length of life.

Is there a harbor freight in your area? They sell camera's that hook directly to a tv or vcr. I have three of them. One for each side of my house that has doors or windows. If someone knocks on my door at night the first thing I do is hit the power button on my remote. That brings up the camera on the back side of my home. All I have to do it change inputs and it changes camera's. If it's someone I don't know. I can press the record button on my remote and record everything they do. If I'm relly concerned that it may be a trick, I hit the split screen botton on my remote to watch all of the camera's at the same time and record whatever happens. The camera's are only $29.99. The night vision doesn't work real good on them, but if you have flood lights around your home like I do, it won't matter. Here's a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/general...ion-47546.html
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

You're not going to get arrested for having a firearm in your hand when answering the door. Just don't point it at everyone who comes, but DO have it on you when you go to the door. Then, don't open the door to someone you don't know and trust.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

A video intercom system or outside surveillance system is also a big help. I should get one.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Wondering if any of the BGs were hit in the exchange of fire?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Very helpful suggestions from several people.Thanks. I would love a small surveillance system, esp a camera down by the front gate because my barn & horses are right there.

And I do plan to get a custom-made wrought iron grate for the door....but it's costly and I am saving in general for more security and more self-defense training. And a smaller carry gun, and.......heh, I think you get the picture.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I say skip the intercom and go straight for closed circuit cameras.

I don't answer doors unless I can see whose on the other side. Since I always carry, I'm always armed when I move toward the general direction of the door, but I don't swing it open or verbally acknowledge the knock unless I know whose on the other side. If they are strangers then it doesn't get answered. Period. They come under surveillance instead.

If I ever got a late night knock, best believe its riot-gun time and I definitely ain't answering the door. I can call whomever it is back after I see them or their car leave if I can't make a positive ID at first.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links