Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll - Page 2

Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll

This is a discussion on Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The mere fact that he is targeting you for robbery is he expects to get something. Now if you come up empty handed, with no ...

View Poll Results: Will you be assaulted or killed in a street robbery if you comply?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very small chance

32 19.05%
  • Medium chance

67 39.88%
  • Significant chance

69 41.07%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll

The mere fact that he is targeting you for robbery is he expects to get something. Now if you come up empty handed, with no cash or anything of value to offer, it wouldn't be the first time a thug who operates with a double digit IQ doesn't just get angry and kill you just out of plain meanness and frustration.
    didn't we JUST have a story about that out of Oakland? guy only had $17 and they killed him anyways.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

In today's world? A significant chance...

I too, avoid troublesome places, but that is no guarantee that trouble will not find me.
    I choose to be left alone, and in Wally World parking lots I'm sure that I do not look like a 'first pick' victim...that's still no guarantee that I won't make a couple of dirtbags' quick hit list.
    I am always armed, I trust no one, and my head is always on a swivel...again, no guarantees.

If confronted, I will react quickly and violently...many times the decision will have to be made in just a second or two. I want to go home and continue on with life, but if it is my time...then it is my time. I will not let some dirtbag hold me hostage, make me plead for my life, or rob me and THEN decide to shoot me anyway. I don't go to bars or wild parties. I don't do drugs or even drink much any more. I'm just not in the places that trouble is almost guaranteed, but I do move around in the city where the bad guys roam around looking for easy 'stuff'.

I'll take my chances and defend my right to continue on with life, and let the chips fall where they may.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I hAve lived in most major cities thru out Europe
    Richmond va washington dc and la in the worst of times
    been at gun point 3 times in my life
    Still typing , comply With a real strong attitude
    was never cc but if I were would not of helped at all !

A shotgun in your nose. From a deranged coke addict who's wife just left him
    trained or not it will get your diction in action.
    And no wing chung will not help , ever

Bow down. Submit ....
    Then do as you choose ...
    funny that actual experience is almost ignored except to make a point that you could fight and win....and most still believe the chance is significant that you will suffer....

Again, well done Barkin! I just retired after 21 years of responding to those types of incidents. I have also been witness to many horrible and unspeakable crimes, that to this day still haunt me. That is why I choose NOT to be a victim or a willing victim anyway! I always have my "SA" radar going, I am always armed, and I will die fighting to make sure my family is uninjured or worse! I don't go to places where trouble could be, but if it should follow I feel I am prepared as well as I can be and I ALWAYS listen to sixth sense or gut feeling they has kept me out of arms way many times. I know the economy is going down the tubes, the crime rate is climbing, so preparing my family these situations can only better our chances of survival!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

I voted "Significant Chance". As most of us here, I am armed when dressed. I continually work with my wife on her situational awareness, which in turn helps my SA. I do not go to bad places to do bad things. I did 40 years ago, but at 62, I am physically past my prime, but mentally in my prime. I therefore have to use my mental abilities and world experience to enhance my self defense abilities. With that being said, I am aware that the chances of an encounter, with a BG, in an armed robbery, is one that most likely will not turn out very pleasant for someone. Although I may feign compliance, it will only be to the point that I feel I have an advantage to make my move to defend myself and/or my family. If the opportunity presents itself, I will not even feign compliance. It will be "game on" and I will do my utmost to be the victim/survivor and NOT the victim/deceased. The BG did not stop me and/or my family to discuss the weather, or what's on TV, or what's on sale in Wally World....he stopped me with the utmost malice in his heart and I shall respond with the same. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Moderator
    There is a chance that I might be killed. If I do get killed it wont be because I am complying with some punk.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I deal with this every day. The FACT of the matter is that there is a relatively low chance of being killed or seriously injured if you comply. It isn't even up for debate, the numbers are extremely clear on this subject. HOWEVER, though the chance in low, it is not zero, and there are always those who will kill or seriously injure their victims before they are even given a chance to comply, or will injure them anyway.

Act as you see fit, but just because you think/feel that there is a "significant" chance of being killed/seriously injured after you comply, the facts simply don't support your feelings.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That's the tricky thing about vague descriptors like slight, medium, and significant. They mean different things to different people. To me, medium is 40-60% chance. That's what I voted, but I also consider that significant enough that I won't comply. If I'm shot down on the pavement, it will be with my G23 in hand. I've already made that decision.

I mis-read the poll. I think there is a medium chance if you comply...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Indeed, "significant" can be subjective, but the fact is that there just aren't that many murders as compared to robberies... In 2007, there were 6 murders per 100,000 people in the US, and 148 robberies. Even if we assume that EVERY SINGLE MURDER was an armed robbery victim who complied (an entirely preposterous supposition, but let's do it for argument's sake), that still means that you have only a 4% chance of being murdered after complying in a robbery. Obviously, that 4% is wildly inflated because not every murder is the result of a robbery - not even close - but I still consider 4% to be much closer to "very small" than "significant."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Indeed, "significant" can be subjective, but the fact is that there just aren't that many murders as compared to robberies... In 2007, there were 6 murders per 100,000 people in the US, and 148 robberies. Even if we assume that EVERY SINGLE MURDER was an armed robbery victim who complied (an entirely preposterous supposition, but let's do it for argument's sake), that still means that you have only a 4% chance of being murdered after complying in a robbery. Obviously, that 4% is wildly inflated because not every murder is the result of a robbery - not even close - but I still consider 4% to be much closer to "very small" than "significant."
    It's not just the odds of being killed, but by assaulted I take that to mean physically harmed (since really by the legal definition in most areas assault is a part of robbery since robbery is a violent crime). I still think that there is a significant chance of some physical harm coming during a street robbery. It may not be getting killed, but I'm sticking with this hypothesis.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    No doubt there is a higher chance of being injured than of "just" being killed, but it's still relatively low IN THE SCENARIO AS DESCRIBED, i.e. you have complied, and the robber(s) maim/kill you after you have complied. It just doesn't happen that way very often. It's much more likely that you will be injured/killed DURING the robbery and/or as a part of the robbery than after you have fully complied. Of course (and again), it does happen, it's just very rare. Of course, when it does happen, it's plastered all over the news - precisely because it IS rare...

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    OPFOR, I'm glad you chimed in on this buddy! You are definitely correct. And the evidence bears that out.

The chance of surviving an armed robbery by complying is definitely most likely. Which is why I tend to be on the side of not intervening when an armed robbery goes down and I happen to be there inside a bank or convenience store when it happens. I've seen too many in-store surveillance videos where people have guns brandished in their face, give up the money and the robber flees without a shot ever being fired. No doubt a terrible and horrifying ordeal to go through. As a matter of fact, in those situations I run the likely risk of making matters worse by intervening for a variety of reasons I won't go into here. However, by the same token, I have seen the tapes, and several come to mind recently, even in my own home town where store clerks have been killed even after complying and offering no resistance what so ever. In one case, there was the added and twisted irony that it was the clerks last shift at the convenience store before starting a new and better job without the risk of working night shift at the convenience store. So, in cases where I am merely present during a hold-up, unless the robber actually starts to shoot, I'm playing it cool and just going to observe. The risk of making matters worse is simply too great.

However, for me being the actual target to be the victim of an armed robbery or assault on the street, I have decided long ago how I intend to deal with it. In no way to I recommend the same course of action to be taken by anyone else. Those decisions must be made by everyone individually.

My post above is only intended to point out with stark reality that when a person sits back within the safe confines of their home and are struggling or grappling with the decision of how they plan to respond, and are trying to develop a survival mindset that they do so with some measure of what truth as to what they may expect to experience if they ever find them self in such a situation. And attempting to illustrate the stark difference of real life consequence of choice versus what is portrayed on TV and in the movies.

People should also be very much aware of how the actual statistics bear out the likelihood of them not being killed if they comply. As long as they understand, when a situation comes to them on the street, the stakes are high, and people are playing for keeps. People are going to decide on their own what they are gonna do. It's their life, no one can tell them what they should do regarding their life.

Survival is very personal. If you carry a gun, at some point you are going to have to come to terms with certain truths and reality about living and dying.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Maybe you will be killed and maybe you won't but... you had better believe you are going to be killed and act accordingly!
    I'm with Thumper on this one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Ex Member
    I KNOW how much range time I have. I DOUBT any crack heads can match that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links