Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll - Page 3

Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll

This is a discussion on Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Will you be assaulted or killed in a street robbery if you comply? The mere fact it's death we're speaking of makes it darned significant, ...

View Poll Results: Will you be assaulted or killed in a street robbery if you comply?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very small chance

32 19.05%
  • Medium chance

67 39.88%
  • Significant chance

69 41.07%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will You Be Assaulted/killed in a Street Robbery? Poll

Will you be assaulted or killed in a street robbery if you comply?
    The mere fact it's death we're speaking of makes it darned significant, no matter the probability.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    There is always a chance of being killed no matter what you do now a days. People now a days just don't seem to care as much for human life.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The mere fact it's death we're speaking of makes it darned significant, no matter the probability.
    Now that right there is one way to put it into perspective. Doesn't matter the probability when death is a very real possible outcome.

The fact that some thugs do kill even after compliance is a significant part of the mindset I have when dealing with such incidents.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Are there any statistics on the probability of people surviving/being uninjured while attempting to shoot the robber/mugger who already has a drawn weapon?

Cuz it's always pretty clear that people here are more than willing to shoot in such instances...just wondering what their rates of success would be? That would be a major factor in determining whether you survive a robbery or not. (Altho many dont seem to care as long as the bad guy 'doesnt win' or as long as they 'go down fighting'.)

I think that makes the poll a little more realistic...

I'd weigh the bad guy's attitude/alertness, if he has 'friends', state of his gun readiness, and my opportunities. Training or not, I am not superwoman and am not likely to outdraw a drawn gun. And I dont believe most bg's are stupid enough to fall for the thrown wallet ploy. So THAT information would determine how likely being killed during a robbery would be for me.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I said very small chance, but that is still unacceptable
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Are there any statistics on the probability of people surviving/being uninjured while attempting to shoot the robber/mugger who already has a drawn weapon?

Cuz it's always pretty clear that people here are more than willing to shoot in such instances...just wondering what their rates of success would be? That would be a major factor in determining whether you survive a robbery or not. (Altho many dont seem to care as long as the bad guy 'doesnt win' or as long as they 'go down fighting'.)

I think that makes the poll a little more realistic...

I'd weigh the bad guy's attitude/alertness, if he has 'friends', state of his gun readiness, and my opportunities. Training or not, I am not superwoman and am not likely to outdraw a drawn gun. And I dont believe most bg's are stupid enough to fall for the thrown wallet ploy. So THAT information would determine how likely being killed during a robbery would be for me.
    Here's the bottom line as I see it.

1) There are no guarantee's in life.
    2) To try and draw against a gun without proper training, practice and confidence is foolish in the extreme. (You may get lucky, but luck is the deciding factor for those who are not trained)
    3) For those who have trained, and practiced for such events, it takes a certain amount of guts to actually do it. Some people just don't have the guts or intestinal fortitude to perform at that level.
    4) Oh, did I say there are no guarantee's in life? People are not going to find a set of statistics which will satisfy their own fear of failure. You either have the guts, skill and proper mindset or you don't.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Cool

As long as I have my fate in my hands I am not going to submit. There have been a recent rash of robberies in our area where after submitting the victims were killed anyway. Agreeded this is in the minority of cases but it is happening at far to frequent a rate. Every robbery by definition involves the victim being put into fear by threat of physical harm. This is a power play on the part of the offender and one that I personnally am not willing to trust to there kind heartedness not to perform if I comply.

"When violence is the answer it is the only answer".
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It's a little like playing russian roulette. The gun's pointed at you and you don't know if it's going to go off. True, the majority are just robberies and most of the time no one gets shot. But sometimes someone does. Are you that someone?

For me, I would rather die trying with the knowledge that I wasn't passive. If someone is going to kill me, they are going to have to work for it, at least as long as I am still lean and mean.

C.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

3D
    I voted 'significant' chance of assault or being killed. Notice 'being killed' is passive voice grammar.
    It may low, or even very low probability but it is a HIGH even VERY HIGH stakes outcome. I don't honestly know in advance what I would do, but I have 'succeeded' enough times in training scenarios at defeating the role-playing BG that in the right circumstances I am confident I could and would take that action.

It's my perception that more of the street and convenience store robberies happening now are being committed by people who give no hesitation at shooting the robbery victim before, during or after the robbery event.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's the bottom line as I see it.

1) There are no guarantee's in life.
    2) To try and draw against a gun without proper training, practice and confidence is foolish in the extreme. (You may get lucky, but luck is the deciding factor for those who are not trained)
    3) For those who have trained, and practiced for such events, it takes a certain amount of guts to actually do it. Some people just don't have the guts or intestinal fortitude to perform at that level.
    4) Oh, did I say there are no guarantee's in life? People are not going to find a set of statistics which will satisfy their own fear of failure. You either have the guts, skill and proper mindset or you don't.
    Guts or not, there is a physical reality there....that outdrawing and shooting someone with a gun already pointed at you is unrealistic for the vast majority of gun carriers. I dont care how much you train, unless you are one of the (few) experts, you're not gonna make it. And most of the 'experts' say so. (You may not die or even get hit of course.) If anything, they recommend CQB instead.

Not to mention that most carriers who are not battle hardened have no idea how they will physically and mentally react in that situation. And most will telegraph their intentions as well.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

3D
    I didn't say "outdrawing and shooting someone with a gun already pointed at" [me], for my level of draw-shoot skill that would be suicide. I said "defeated". If you are close enough to me, I am confident in my training and experience (enough to risk my life on it) that I can grab you and your gun in such a way as to tear the ligaments in your wrist and point the gun at you while deflecting it away from me as I move out of the line of fire.

Got 20 seconds? . . . watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpn4j3XmUyY
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    I didn't say "outdrawing and shooting someone with a gun already pointed at" [me], for my level of draw-shoot skill that would be suicide. I said "defeated". If you are close enough to me, I am confident in my training and experience (enough to risk my life on it) that I can grab you and your gun in such a way as to tear the ligaments in your wrist and point the gun at you while deflecting it away from me as I move out of the line of fire.

Perhap you were referring to my post? If so, I also wrote that CQB is highly recommended as a better strategy.

Kudos to you.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Guts or not, there is a physical reality there....that outdrawing and shooting someone with a gun already pointed at you is unrealistic for the vast majority of gun carriers. I dont care how much you train, unless you are one of the (few) experts, you're not gonna make it. And most of the 'experts' say so. (You may not die or even get hit of course.) If anything, they recommend CQB instead.

Not to mention that most carriers who are not battle hardened have no idea how they will physically and mentally react in that situation. And most will telegraph their intentions as well.
    Since my training is in hand to hand CQB and Disarming techniques. I am more likely to attempt that than attempt a quick draw.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post

oooo he rotated his wrist around the minor axis is looks like. my favorite wrist grab because its quick, very painful, and very effective. and if you screw up, at least you have the major axis! You'd be surprise how fast some people drop under that hold.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    brownie is a special kind of guy...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links