If You Don't Know Them Don't Open The Door

This is a discussion on If You Don't Know Them Don't Open The Door within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This story occurred several years ago. Iím posting it as an object lesson on not opening the door for people you donít know. I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Don't Know Them Don't Open The Door

This story occurred several years ago. Iím posting it as an object lesson on not opening the door for people you donít know.

I was working for a carpet cleaning company and I got called to my last client of the day. It was a small apartment attached to a larger house W/ a screened in porch. The customer met me at the door and showed me the job, three rooms W/ blood everywhere and I mean literally everywhere. It was on the floor, the sofa, the walls, his stereo (not my job but it was there) it was all over his bathroom and all over his TV. I honestly thought someone had died in that house.

The customer told me that he had gone to a bar a few nights before, gotten a little too drunk and had apparently flashed some cash. After the bar closed he walked home came into the house a short time passed and some one knocked on the screened porch door. The customer (told me later he) thought he recognized the guy so he opened the door. As soon as he opened the door the guy attacked him and stabbed him 14 times (customer had the scars to back his story up) while attempting to rob him. The customer claimed he was able to fight the guy off and chase him out of the house (baaad dude). I have no way of knowing if this story is true but the evidence certainly suggested that it was.

Obviously there are other lessons her beside don't open the door for strangers but all the other tactical errors could have been overcome had the guy followed that one rule

I always wonder WHY people open the door???

I once had a friend come over unannounced around 11.30pm and I said to him "what if I had shot you" (not that I'd shoot someone for just knocking....but) and he said he did think of that. I guess he knows me well enough.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I have to agree. If I don't know you, ot I am not expecting someone the door just stays closed. If that offends somebody oh well. If the business can't be handled through a closed door oh well. It's my job to keep my family and my self safe , everything and everyone else comes second.

Never answer the door for people you don't know especially in the middle of the night. Never answer the door unarmed.

Lucky SOB!!!!!! I bet he will

1.) Quit drinking so much
    2.) never open his door again!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Don't go to bars.
    Don't get drunk...(quit after you feel good enough to get to sleep).
    Don't ever open the door late at night without identifying the 'knocker'.
    Don't be unarmed at home.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i am ALWAYS armed when i answer the door , my SR9 is guarding my back!
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't go to bars.
    Don't get drunk...(quit after you feel good enough to get to sleep).
    Don't ever open the door late at night without identifying the 'knocker'.
    Don't be unarmed at home.
    i was thinking more along the lines of not flashing cash in public...i have no problem whatsoever with the bars and drinking...its ok to have fun....but you really ought to be careful who youre showing your wealth to....hes lucky he didnt get jumped on the way home...

He was drinking when I got there and seemed to be mildly intoxicated. For those that are saying "Never answer the door unarmed", from the way he described the attack the guy hit him as soon as he open the door. Armed or not in that circumstance you would have taken at least one shot

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    He was drinking when I got there and seemed to be mildly intoxicated. For those that are saying "Never answer the door unarmed", from the way he described the attack the guy hit him as soon as he open the door. Armed or not in that circumstance you would have taken at least one shot
    Although he was drunk so I wouldn't trust his account so much lol.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Although he was drunk so I wouldn't trust his account so much lol.
    Again, I saw the blood and when I say it was every where I mean it was everywhere . Other than that I wouldn't have bought it either

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Again, I saw the blood and when I say it was every where I mean it was everywhere . Other than that I wouldn't have bought it either
    No I mean the part where he would have had no time to react. reaction time suffers a great deal when drunk, so does perception of time. he says he was hit before he knew anything..I say sober he would have had a fighting chance maybe...14 stabs...lucky guy to be alive! must have been a short blade.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I don't ever open the door without 1) confirming identity through the peep hole and 2) without knowing someone is coming over. The room we're staying in here in France has no peephole...kinda has me all bugging out!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    In this day and age you'd think people would know better. Something else that helps is a peep hole and deadbolt, which I thought were standard in any house built since 1970. I have both in my home and when someone knocks, I simply peek. If it's someone I don't know, I simply don't answer. The deadbolt is always engaged, so if an attempt is made to kick it in, I have plenty of time to pick up Ol' Painless and take careful aim. Solid core doors help too.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

3D
    Treo, your thread title: If You Don't Know Them Don't Open The Door has been my policy since mid-1990's when a husband and wife I knew were killed by two teenage intruders. Before that event I would answer (open) the door armed (gun in hand behind the open door) if the person/s were not known by me. I have since realized opening that 'last' barrier allows all sorts of uncontrollable possibilities.

I just don't open it.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links