A Bad Situation....

This is a discussion on A Bad Situation.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, that was a perfectly laid out story of potentially some serious trouble. I wouldn't expect them to shoot it out with you as most ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Bad Situation....

Well, that was a perfectly laid out story of potentially some serious trouble. I wouldn't expect them to shoot it out with you as most druggies who break into storage lockers aren't of the violent murderous types who are looking to do violence wherever they go. More than likely they were in fact casing the place and waiting for you to hurry up and leave. But here's the thing... you never know! And these days, you just can't afford to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I am a firm believer in hi-capacity semi-autos as a primary SD weapon. In this case you had the potential of having a shootout with up to three armed killers (had you have had your gun with you). I'd be hard pressed to engage three effectively while trapped inside a vehicle with a 7 shot 1911 or a revolver. However having anything is better than having nothing. Of course being trapped in the truck you could duck down and do a quick reload, but I prefer to have 10 - 16 rounds in my gun for that initial volley before having to reload.

I'm guessing the moment you realized you didn't have your gun, you couldn't have pulled a straight pin out of your butt with a tractor. Well, that's a learning experience you won't soon forget. And as it was, from what I gather you pretty much carry full time. You at least carry often enough that you instinctively went for your gun where it is usually kept. And then you said, for some reason you just left it at home. So I gather it at least wasn't a conscious effort to not carry that day. Which makes a pretty good case for having a full time car gun. Which again, as you stated, you solved that problem as well with the G-19.

Above all, as scared as you were, you remained level headed and continuously able to keep planning and problem solving. And your SA was right on target. I think you couldn't have handled things any better than you did, other than having that damn gun with you. And as you said, you won't be caught short again.

Good Job! Thanks for posting a great story and let us know if your storage locker gets broken into in the near future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I am glad everything turned out ok and you went home safe! You kept your head on straight, thanks for sharing this incident with us!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HkCarry View Post
    I am able to carry in my car without the plastic, and I do. For some reason, though, I left my gun at home.

Taught myself a lesson though. My license went to "Manufacturing" today, so I will always ALWAYS be carrying my USPc....in addition to the Gen.4 Glock 19 I bought yesterday just to keep in the car.
    I am In Mi. What do you mean by what I have in bold from your statement??
    Are you saying to the effect that you do not have your CPL at the present time?
    What does went to manufacturing mean?

Please excuse my Ignorace.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Good write up. Thanks for sharing it.

I will always ALWAYS be carrying my USPc....in addition to the Gen.4 Glock 19 I bought yesterday just to keep in the car.
    Good decision. It would be better if you could keep the G19 on your person, in addition to the USPc

Bark'n; you made my day

you couldn't have pulled a straight pin out of your butt with a tractor
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I am In Mi. What do you mean by what I have in bold from your statement??
    Are you saying to the effect that you do not have your CPL at the present time?
    What does went to manufacturing mean?

Please excuse my Ignorace.

In Texas, we can get online, up-to-date status updates regarding our CHL application/approval process. At the time of the post, my status was "All cleared and approved; license manufacturing."

Yesterday, it went to "Mailed".

Couldn't come any sooner....
    Glock Gen.4 G19 - Raven Concealment
    Sig GSR 1911 XO .45 - Raven Concealment
    Smith&Wesson M&P9 Fullsize / Streamlight TLR-1 - Raven Concealment

"...I fear no evil, for thou art with me"

Quote Originally Posted by HkCarry View Post
    I am able to carry in my car without the plastic, and I do. For some reason, though, I left my gun at home.
    Keep in mind that firearms are Prohibited on Corps of Engineers maintained property [dams, lake water, boat ramps, parks].

36 C.F.R. 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.

It can be confusing when the parks at many CoE lakes are State Parks and some CoE lakes boarder National Forests or private land.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links