My 2005 Car-jacking Scenario

This is a discussion on My 2005 Car-jacking Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, thought I would post a scenario thread based on my armed car-jacking experience in Savannah, GA back in '05. I drew what I ...

Thread: My 2005 Car-jacking Scenario

Hey guys, thought I would post a scenario thread based on my armed car-jacking experience in Savannah, GA back in '05. I drew what I consider a accurate overhead view of the events so you can map out different scenarios and 'what would you do?' ideas. This was a fast, efficient car-jacking on a city side street by what police later told me was an experienced crew, so it could be easily adapted to your area. They later caught one of them and found the car in ghettoville.

I lived in Savannah, GA for several years. Anyone who has lived there can tell you it's kind of a shady place, with ghetto blocks right next to ritzy ones. The worst areas in the city are only a walk or short drive from the nicest areas, and this works out well for the city's criminal element. I lived in an apartment right by one the city square were they filmed some of the "Forrest Gump" scenes, a nice area. I had barrowed my ex's Honda and was coming home from a quick run to Krogers at around 11pm. I parked on the side closest to my apartment, got out groceries from the passenger side when I heard, then saw a dark car come speeding around the corner up to 'my' car. This is when everything turned to slow-mo, as I saw to wiry black males leap out of the car. One went left with a gun in his hand, the other went right and I could not tell if he had a weapon. By the time I dropped the groceries in both hands, they were basically on me and the one on my left shoved a revolver in my shoulder shouting for my wallet and keys. The guy on the right took them from me. The whole time I felt completely defenseless without a weapon, or more importantly training, of any kind. My life was completely in their hands, to be taken when and if they chose to. Luckily, God was lookin' out for me and they left me quickly. They covered the right side guy as he hopped in the Honda, then the followed the other car.

If I had been armed, I would have needed to be very quick to do anything. If both of the 'runners' were armed, not sure if the second guy was or not, it would get real ugly trying to fight my way out to avoid being flanked on both sides of the car. Plus I don't know what the get-away driver would have done, or if there was even a 4th passenger I couldn't see in the car. Theres alot of variables. Have at it!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/p...ngscenario.jpg

sounds very efficient. not sure what chance someone with little training has against an experienced crew :(
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Multiple (4?) attackers, likely armed, obviously targeting you specifically, somewhat well planned......at some point you have to look at what action is reasonable, and I believe you did the right thing. Unfortunately, being armed is not a "magic wand". A gunfight is not always the best answer to a car jacking. Now, IF there was only one armed attacker, IF they were trying to kidnap your wife or child, or IF...or IF...then maybe. You know what they say about landing an airplane--"any landing you walk away from is a good landing". I think the same can be said about a carjacking. Glad you walked away friend.

Multiple professionals/experienced crew?

In such a case, armed or not, you are safer complying.

Glad you were ok.

Did this event motivate you to get a gun? Or your carry permit?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Don't look like you had much time to react, If your drawing is to scale & you walked away, You did allright not getting shot as you were targeted :-(
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Boy that is a scary one. I'd have to agree just letting your car go would appear best armed or not. If you had been armed you would still have been out manned and maybe gunned. Was you car cleaned out when you recovered it?

VIP Member
    Wow. With the guys running up on you from such a short distance, by the time you determined their intent (I wouldn't assume that everyone that runs in my direction is after me) it would leave little time to draw. If I was in that situation and cc'ing, I doubt the outcome would have been much different. 'Glad you made it.

Thats what my cousin and I were talking about, just letting them take it and hope for the best. It's definately not worth dying over a honda civic. The only thing that still bothers me about it is when I think about what would have happened if they hadn't left me un-harmed, because either way my life was completely in their hands and that is a terrible feeling. There had been plenty of muggings and such in Savannah were the victim's had been murdered after they complied. The whole thing is a crap shoot I guess.

When the cops found the car about a week later, it was cleaned out and really smelled like cigarettes. No biggy considering though.

I guess it should have motivated me to buy a handgun and get my permit, it didn't really though. I was definately more alert everywhere, but I kind of put it in the back of my mind and hoped something that crappy wouldn't happen to me twice (knock on wood). I'm just now gearing up to buy my first handgun and get my permit, but better late than never!

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    Thats what my cousin and I were talking about, just letting them take it and hope for the best. It's definately not worth dying over a honda civic. The only thing that still bothers me about it is when I think about what would have happened if they hadn't left me un-harmed, because either way my life was completely in their hands and that is a terrible feeling. There had been plenty of muggings and such in Savannah were the victim's had been murdered after they complied. The whole thing is a crap shoot I guess.

When the cops found the car about a week later, it was cleaned out and really smelled like cigarettes. No biggy considering though.

I guess it should have motivated me to buy a handgun and get my permit, it didn't really though. I was definately more alert everywhere, but I kind of put it in the back of my mind and hoped something that crappy wouldn't happen to me twice (knock on wood). I'm just now gearing up to buy my first handgun and get my permit, but better late than never!
    That's a lesson sort of learned then... you are more aware and that is huge, but you are assuming it will never happen again, you cannot do that. Your senses are your first line of defense, I wonder, what do you speculate that you would do now, knowing what you know, and armed?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Well hopefully insurance took care of the car for you.

Glad you are here to tell the story, and the art was very nicely done.
    Situation like that, I probably would have done the same. Once someone(s) is that close and armed unless you are Jason Bourne ..lol, it's best to comply. The only caviot (*sp?) for me would have been if I was ordered into the car.. Then it's on like Donkey Kong , Because to me most likely they are going to take me somewhere to kill me. You did good keep your SA up and your head on a swivel.
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Links