Deaf Man Almost Wets His Pants

This is a discussion on Deaf Man Almost Wets His Pants within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had an interesting experience in the office today that I will preface with the fact that our shopping center has been plagued with a ...

Thread: Deaf Man Almost Wets His Pants

Deaf Man Almost Wets His Pants

We had an interesting experience in the office today that I will preface with the fact that our shopping center has been plagued with a recent string of armed robbery and violent assualts. With this in mind, I have been in condition yellow much more frequently. So just before lunch a large, unkempt, gangsta-looking black-American man stormed into the office and literally grunted at one of my receptionists and then began to briskly walk back to my desk. I didn't hear what he said or didn't say, but I immediately went to condition orange. Instead of coming straight back to my desk he turned to glance into the lunch area of the office as if to scope the place out or look for somebody. Now I am almost in condition red.

I opened my drawer and removed my pistol from the holster but kept it in the drawer and out of sight. It looked like he was going to walk back into the lunch area so I asked him what he wanted. The receptionist later said that when I spoke it sounded very stern and forceful, but I donít really remember how aggressive I sounded. As if he didnít hear me, the man turned and walked straight into my office. One of his hands was out of sight behind his hip and as he entered my office the hidden arm was extended. Of course things felt like slow motion and in my mind I was forced to make the decision: to draw or not to draw. Something (dont ask me what) told me not to draw and it became more clear that as he stuck his hand out there was nothing more deadly in it than a piece of paper.

As it turns out, the man was deaf and was asking for financial help in a document written in English and Spanish. Unfortunately for him, I make it a practice to never give money out at the office (not that I carry any), but furthermore, I was so flustered that I just wanted him out of my office. I feel bad for his circumstances, but he scared my receptionist half to death and made me very uncomfortable. If he had any sense at all he would change into something more presentable, tuck his shirt in and wait to be attended to rather than storming in and coming straight back. I realize now that he was looking for somebody in the lunch area that he could give his paper to, but it appeared to me that he was scooping out the potential victims/witnesses.

Thankfully, I was able to remain calm and it turned out to be nothing. I am glad that I did not draw down on this guy. He probably would have needed to change his shorts afterwards. I have been on the fence about carrying with one in the chamber and recently made up my mind to do so. This experience made it so obvious to me why that is a must. It also impressed upon me the importance of always being in condition yellow. Becaused I noticed him as soon as he came in, I was able to cycle through the scenarios and possibilities before it came time to make a decicion. I believe that I made the right choice and I am happy that all turned out well.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

2. Remove Ads

Our office is in a nice part of town. Unfortunately, there is an apartment complex nearby with all sorts of characters coming and going at all times of the day and night.

A couple of months ago, someone entered several of the buildings across the street and walked through them gathering purses and/or wallets. I don't know why they didn't cross the street to our building, but I figured that it was just a matter of time.

So, we installed a keyless door lock system that requires employees to badge in/out. Everyone else must press the call button before being 'buzzed' inside. We had installed security cameras around the outside perimeter, at the doors and inside hallways two years ago; so we can see who is at the door.

Of course I found myself questioning myself on whether I was being paranoid and spending money needlessly. But I took comfort in knowing that I was doing all that I could to ensure my employees' safety.

Sure enough, yesterday at the noon hour a woman who obviously had no business being there, came to our door and tried to enter without buzzing. She kept trying the door. She stopped and read the sign instructing visitors to press the call button for assistance, looked at the call button and then kept peering inside the windows looking to see what was inside. She tried the door once more before leaving and walking on down the street. All of this was seen on camera.

I don't know for sure what she had in mind, but it was certainly not anything related to our business. Perhaps a probe to check the security... who knows. Our system worked and I am glad that I spent the money for it.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Good Call

Quote Originally Posted by txshooter View Post
    Our office is in a nice part of town. Unfortunately, there is an apartment complex nearby with all sorts of characters coming and going at all times of the day and night.

A couple of months ago, someone entered several of the buildings across the street and walked through them gathering purses and/or wallets. I don't know why they didn't cross the street to our building, but I figured that it was just a matter of time.

So, we installed a keyless door lock system that requires employees to badge in/out. Everyone else must press the call button before being 'buzzed' inside. We had installed security cameras around the outside perimeter, at the doors and inside hallways two years ago; so we can see who is at the door.

Of course I found myself questioning myself on whether I was being paranoid and spending money needlessly. But I took comfort in knowing that I was doing all that I could to ensure my employees' safety.

Sure enough, yesterday at the noon hour a woman who obviously had no business being there, came to our door and tried to enter without buzzing. She kept trying the door. She stopped and read the sign instructing visitors to press the call button for assistance, looked at the call button and then kept peering inside the windows looking to see what was inside. She tried the door once more before leaving and walking on down the street. All of this was seen on camera.

I don't know for sure what she had in mind, but it was certainly not anything related to our business. Perhaps a probe to check the security... who knows. Our system worked and I am glad that I spent the money for it.
    TxShooter: You made a great call in my opinion> As a retired LEO I am perhaps more aware of security than most folks, at least that is what my wife keep accusing me of, however you can never be too safe or for that matter too paranoid about security. I am constantly being asked for my opinion about security mesures, usually after someone has had their home robbed. I cheerfully and freely give my advice regarding their particular circumstances in hopes that they will take my advice and upgrade their security. In my humble opinion you did exactly what any sensable business owner would do to protect your employees and yourself from the occasional sumbag that would disrupt your business or maybe even injur or kill you or one of your employees. An ever incresing number of states are now making laws requiring the kind preventive mesures that will protect employees from workplace violence incidents. You did a great job and it was money well spent.

Links