Another Road Rage Thread

This is a discussion on Another Road Rage Thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It takes two people to be involved in a driving conflict. . If you don't want to be involved in traffic conflicts assume the role ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another Road Rage Thread

It takes two people to be involved in a driving conflict. . If you don't want to be involved in traffic conflicts assume the role of good driver. Most of the stress associated with driving is due to poor time management.
    Last edited by rocky; July 23rd, 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: language work around removed
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

2. Remove Ads

I have to agree with the others about flashing your brights. It is a bit rude. Im not saying I would have done what the guy in the truck did, but a mouth full of WHAT THE **** are you thinking would occur.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Idiots that drive in the fast lane (at or below the speed limit) and refuse to get over are frustrating to say the least. I too have flashed my lights at these types to remind them that they are in the passing lane and holding up traffic! To stop on I-10 and get out of your vehicle is just nuts!!!!!!!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

If you're driving on the Autobahn, then flashing lights as a signal for someone to move over is accepted as the correct thing to do. As the OP found out, in the U.S. - not so much

I go out of my way to avoid any interaction with other drivers to "help" them drive properly. No honk of the horn if the guy in front of me doesn't immediately see a light turn green, no flipping people off who cut in front of me- people seem to take on a whole different persona behind the wheel and I really want to avoid a confrontation when I'm carrying. It's just not worth it.

Flashing your Brights on someone in front of you is against the law ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    H/D
    This is the correct answer! WINNER!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

A while back I had to do the Jax-to-Marietta run back and forth on I-10 several times a week. I'm very familiar with this particular stretch of road. The section between Jax and Lake City can be pretty wild. No, the posted speed limit of "70 mph" is not operative; figure 80 mph at minimum, and 90 mph is common.

A brief courtesy-blink of the lights to indicate you want to pass is not rude and should not result in a road-rage situation. However, it does depend on how you do it. Let's say I'm in the left lane and there's no opening to the right. Until I pass the line of cars next to me, I can't pull over for you if you're behind me. I always watch the rearview and if you're coming up behind me, I'll see you - day or night. So here we are, doing around 78 or so and I see you are overtaking.

What I'll do is increase speed up to 80 - 82 and try to find a spot to the right or get ahead of the vehicles there and pull over to let you go by. I will cooperate with you. I expect you to notice that I'm speeding up and trying to help. But I'm not going to climb up to 90 and risk a major ticket. If you come blasting up behind me and start flashing your lights, it's gonna tick me off. So I'm thinking there was some combination of that sort of thing at work here, not just the lights, but the timing, the distances, etc.
    Sfire likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

A brief courtesy-blink of the lights to indicate you want to pass is not rude and should not result in a road-rage situation. However, it does depend on how you do it.

If you come blasting up behind me and start flashing your lights, it's gonna tick me off. So I'm thinking there was some combination of that sort of thing at work here, not just the lights, but the timing, the distances, etc.
    I agree that it shouldn't - but clearly sometimes it does. Things can get messy when the guy in front thinks you're "blasting up behind him and flashing" and the guy following thinks he's doing a "brief courtesy blink"

I know lot's of folks do it with no issues - just something I try to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    H/D

I believe the OP did exactly what I would have done. I actually appreciate a courtesy flash from someone who is obviously in a bigger hurry than me.They call it the PASSING LANE for a reason!!! The only thing I also would have done is make a quick call to the highway patrol and give them the plate number and report the obvious dangerous behavior by that individual. They would have tailed them pulled them over for some reason or another to question them. I have called the police on two occassions while on the highway: Both drunk drivers, I called the police and they immediately cut in behind the vehicle and pulled them over. Let them take care of it.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    A brief courtesy-blink of the lights to indicate you want to pass is not rude and should not result in a road-rage situation.
    A "courtesy-blink"? Are you serious? I'm not sure what is so courteous about someone blinking their lights in my rear view mirror in the middle of the night when I'm already going above the posted speed limit.

To the OP: you indicate that not only did you blink your lights but you were tailgating him. What did you expect to happen? Obviously his reaction was extreme, but you sound like the kind of driver that regularly puts people in danger with the kind of behavior you are talking about. You seriously need to rethink how you drive. As far as I'm concerned you were both equally at fault with this one.

Yea, actually it does mean to move every. Every see those signs out there that say slower traffic keep right.....THATS A LAW. if you are blaocking traffic in the left lane you are breaking the law.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    This is the correct answer! WINNER!
    Doesn't have to be brights, flash them with your dims. Perfectly legal.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

and again, the law in Florida says slower traffic must keep right. It does not say traffic going 70, It says slower traffic.
    Yocan

YEP, thats the law, YOU MOVE OVER TO ALLOW FASTER TRAFFIC TO PASS. Then you move back over to p-ass someone slower than you. It's a very very simple system. I can't stand the weekend warriors who have no idea how to drive on an interstate highway
    Yocan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links