Another Road Rage Thread

This is a discussion on Another Road Rage Thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis If someone comes up hauling butt behind me and flashes me with their lights I will make sure they do not ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 92
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another Road Rage Thread

  1. #46
    Member Array BigArn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S. of A.
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    If someone comes up hauling butt behind me and flashes me with their lights I will make sure they do not pass me!
    And here is the main cause of road rage, nice going captain!!!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Member Array BigArn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S. of A.
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have to agree with the others about flashing your brights. It is a bit rude. Im not saying I would have done what the guy in the truck did, but a mouth full of WHAT THE **** are you thinking would occur.
    Is it not a bit rude holding up traffic? Move over and let those who wish to go faster then you do just that. Don't you like your freedom, then don't take it away from others!!!

  4. #48
    Senior Member Array Snowman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Utah - PC
    Posts
    702
    I understand that many of you do not like it when someone flashes you from behind as described in the OP's scenario. Nobody like to be made to feel like they are a hinderance or the traffic offender. And YES, I agree that flashing someone is in a way asking to be messed with. However, I can sympathize with this particular situation. Some folks take a quick flash of the lights, or even horn, as a big middle finger, others realize they are impeding the flow of traffic and get out of your way. When I do that I'm not trying to be rude, and I doubt the OP is either. Here in UT we have what I call the "Utah roadblock". It's always on a mulit-lane highway, almost always going up a hill. Always seems that the idiot in the left lane is travelling at the same pace as the 2 lanes to his/her right, with an inevitable line of cars honking and flashing. If your not passing traffic, move over and let those who make the decision to speed or simply go faster (depending on traffice pace). If your passing traffic, regardless of speed, you have every right to be in that lane even if I want to pass you. So, my point being, I don't think that the OP is out of line with the quick flash of the lights provided that the car he's following is in fact just matching traffic and impeding the flow.

    For those of you hell bent on doing the speed limit in the left lane regardless of traffic positioning - I'm pretty sure UT has a law now that makes it illegal for you to impede the flow of traffic regardless of the fact that your doing the speed limit. I recall this from a news report last summer. UHP said they would ticket drivers for doing this. If someone chooses to speed and your the cause of traffic blockage...you (slow guy) are the offender. It's a cause of road rage. Any UT LEO's care to confirm or deny? Sigman?
    Sfire likes this.

  5. #49
    Member Array DamnitBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    97

    Ok, There's some things I don't understand,

    Of course, someone stopping in the middle of the Highway I don't understand because someone who would to that is apparently not functioning very well. I also do not understand the mentality that won't let someone pass them when they are going faster than you are. Do you really want to be in the path of something moving faster than you are? Some of the opinions expressed on this thread point to a not so new problem on our highways. Some people are more concerned about driving where and how fast they want to, that they are concerned for their safety and the safety of other drivers. Some information on the previously mentioned Autobahn:


    http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.shtml

    "Accident rates
    Despite the prevailing high speeds, the accident, injury and death rates on the Autobahn are remarkably low. The Autobahn carries about a third of all Germany's traffic, but injury accidents on the Autobahn account for only 6% of such accidents nationwide and less than 12% of all traffic fatalities were the result of Autobahn crashes (2009). In fact, the annual fatality rate (2.7 per billion km in 2009) is consistently lower than that of most other superhighway systems, including the US Interstates (4.5 in 2009)."

    Why? Here's my guess:
    1."Passing on the right is strictly prohibited! Slower vehicles must move to the right to allow faster traffic to pass, and drivers should stay in the right lane except to pass. When passing, you must do so as quickly as possible, and it's in your best interest to do so lest you become a hood ornament on that Porsche that was just a speck in your mirror a second ago and now is close enough for you to see the look of distain on the driver's face. You are, however, allowed to pass on the right in heavy traffic when vehicles have started queuing, but only at a slow speed. You may also pass on the right while you are still in the designated acceleration lane upon entering the Autobahn."
    They will arrest you if you hold up traffic on those highways!
    As it should be, in my opinion!

  6. #50
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    another intersting condition in florida traffic is the inability for many people to maintain a steady speed...apparently speed control (cruise control) becomes inoperative on many cars as they approach the equator...it is not uncommon to be following traffic at 75 mph and someone in the left lane finds themselves unable to maintain that speed when passing a slower vehicle...the left lane vehicle will slow to the center/right lane traffic speed and barely pass even though at approach the closure speed may have been 10-15 mph higher...its fascinating to experience and adds a sense of *** to the driving experience...in mst cases just maintaining a single speed for any given amount of time is refreshing...i think it may have to do with the age factor in this state...elderly people get confused easily and passing another vehicle takes a lot of their concentration as they think they might suddenly be thrown off course and run into the car next to them because the lane is only 12 feet wide...you gotta watch em navigate into parking spaces to really appreciate it....

    and we share the road with them at 80+ mph....the driving down here makes boston look like driver education class graduation...

  7. #51
    Member Array mirage2521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW FLA
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have to agree with the others about flashing your brights. It is a bit rude. Im not saying I would have done what the guy in the truck did, but a mouth full of WHAT THE **** are you thinking would occur.
    It really is not rude. It is a very accepted form of communication on the highway. Daylight and dark, lights are used to communicate between cars constantly. If you don't spend much time on the highway you are probably completely oblivious to this fact as I suspect most of the posters who are "OMG, he flashed his lights" . I don't spend near the amount of time on the road that proffesional drivers do but I do put in 38,000 to 45,000 miles a year on the interstate from Virgina to Mississippi. A quick courtesy blink is a normal accepted signal for many situations. Have you not ever sat at a 4 way stop and gave your lights a little blink to let the driver across the way know that you are waiting to allow him to proceed first? When the ginormous 18 wheel bohemouth is trying to get out of a bind I can promise you that your little pop of your high beams to let him know you are staying back to allow him in front of you is accepted with gratitude by the driver. What does he do in return? Normally he will give you a little blink of his clearance lights to say thanks. Hmmmmmmm, sure sounds to me like lights are often used to communicate on the road. Just to be clear, I never stated in my post that I was tailgating or repeatedly turn my right lights on. I was a good 8 car lenths back when he slammed on breaks and I was probably 10 car lenghts back when I blinked. Not exactly tailgating or rushing up behind someone.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

  8. #52
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by BigArn View Post
    Is it not a bit rude holding up traffic? Move over and let those who wish to go faster then you do just that. Don't you like your freedom, then don't take it away from others!!!
    Come on REALLY, Like I said before its rude. The OP found out the hard way how rude it is. If your pulling this crap while you are armed, You might be in for a real good time. Try not to patronize while being armed.

  9. #53
    Member Array EPIC SCUMBAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
    Posts
    152
    Some days I take my time and stay in the right lane. I know to stay there and not to slow down others. If I need to pass I get in left lane, make my pass and immediately switch to the right lane. Why?? It's courtesy. But, I also drive in the fast lane occasionally and nothing is more aggravating to be slowed down by someone that's clueless when someone gets on their 6. If I see someone creep on me I make my move over to the right BEFORE they get close to me. If I forget and they flash I rarely get mad.....usually you'd hear me say ooops....crap I forgot, my bad dude! Sometimes it a reminder and sometimes it's and emergency.....you never know! The law in Florida states to do the speed limit and it also states slower traffic KEEP RIGHT. So, in essence it's a catch 22 and when in catch 22 then this is where COURTESY and COMMON SENSE come into play. Happy motoring ya'll!!

  10. #54
    Member Array 45tek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United States Of America
    Posts
    102
    may I suggest changing your driving habits? Obviously the other was out of his rocker. Yet your driving tactics (to some) may come off as "aggressive". You never know what type of day the other guy is having. Do the posted speed limit, there is no such thing as a "fast" lane. Don't believe me? Ask a local LEO.

  11. #55
    Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    usa-southeast texas
    Posts
    1,692
    I read a lot of macho in some of these posts. If you want to be an aggressive driver,and break the law by speeding,go ahead. Enjoy your freedom,whatever that means.

  12. #56
    Member Array yoyomeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    It really is not rude. It is a very accepted form of communication on the highway. Daylight and dark, lights are used to communicate between cars constantly. If you don't spend much time on the highway you are probably completely oblivious to this fact as I suspect most of the posters who are "OMG, he flashed his lights" . I don't spend near the amount of time on the road that proffesional drivers do but I do put in 38,000 to 45,000 miles a year on the interstate from Virgina to Mississippi. A quick courtesy blink is a normal accepted signal for many situations. Have you not ever sat at a 4 way stop and gave your lights a little blink to let the driver across the way know that you are waiting to allow him to proceed first? When the ginormous 18 wheel bohemouth is trying to get out of a bind I can promise you that your little pop of your high beams to let him know you are staying back to allow him in front of you is accepted with gratitude by the driver. What does he do in return? Normally he will give you a little blink of his clearance lights to say thanks. Hmmmmmmm, sure sounds to me like lights are often used to communicate on the road. Just to be clear, I never stated in my post that I was tailgating or repeatedly turn my right lights on. I was a good 8 car lenths back when he slammed on breaks and I was probably 10 car lenghts back when I blinked. Not exactly tailgating or rushing up behind someone.
    I don't find it rude either. But it's all in the eye of the beholder. Growing up traveling b/t Minneapolis and rural Wisconsin people flash lights all the time ... <flash> while approaching means your hi's are on or watch out for cops ahead, or turns your lights on. <flash> from behind ... this guy is probably going to pass me.

    I'm always watching my rear view for people flying up my my tail but sometimes they get there before you expect, a flash from behind means i'm moving over because that person is hauling a**. Doesn't bother me. Others causes them to go into a blinding rage slamming on the brakes on high speed freeways and getting out of the vehicle. Go figure.

    Same things with horns ... people around here for the most part seem to associate getting beeped at with getting the finger. I'd use it as a tool to say here I come or hey you're going to bump into me but it doesn't seem to be receive well. So i just get out of the way. Other regions it seems to be used as more of a communication device not a 4 letter word siren.

  13. #57
    Member Array mirage2521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW FLA
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    may I suggest changing your driving habits? Obviously the other was out of his rocker. Yet your driving tactics (to some) may come off as "aggressive". You never know what type of day the other guy is having. Do the posted speed limit, there is no such thing as a "fast" lane. Don't believe me? Ask a local LEO.
    My driving tactics are rather mild and very much within the norm for interstate highway driving. If that were not the case there would be adverse reactions to lights being blinked tens of thousands of times a day.

    Doing the posted speed limit in the areas I am refering to is a dangerous tactic. The safest speed is with the normal flow of traffic.

    There absolutely is a "fast" lane. Why do you think they have those signs posted every 5 miles on the interstate that read "Slower Traffic Keep Right" I dont know about where you live but in Fla where this occured there is a state statute that says slower traffic MUST keep right. Now, I am no rocket surgeon but if the slower traffic is keeping right, then the faster traffic is.........come you know the answer.


    IN the "fast" lane
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

  14. #58
    Member Array mirage2521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW FLA
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyomeng View Post
    I don't find it rude either. But it's all in the eye of the beholder. Growing up traveling b/t Minneapolis and rural Wisconsin people flash lights all the time ... <flash> while approaching means your hi's are on or watch out for cops ahead, or turns your lights on. <flash> from behind ... this guy is probably going to pass me.

    I'm always watching my rear view for people flying up my my tail but sometimes they get there before you expect, a flash from behind means i'm moving over because that person is hauling a**. Doesn't bother me. Others causes them to go into a blinding rage slamming on the brakes on high speed freeways and getting out of the vehicle. Go figure.

    Same things with horns ... people around here for the most part seem to associate getting beeped at with getting the finger. I'd use it as a tool to say here I come or hey you're going to bump into me but it doesn't seem to be receive well. So i just get out of the way. Other regions it seems to be used as more of a communication device not a 4 letter word siren.
    I don't think it has anything to do with region. I think it has everything to do with the self-esteem of the other driver. The beep of a horn or the blink of your lights are a "dis" and he got to get his trailer park butt up in arms to defend his honor. If you are behind me in the left lane and blink your lights...guess what I know I am a dumb butt for ridin there. If you toot your horn at me to let me know I am drifting into your lane "thanks". For these other folks, they have nothing in life, they have no self esteem, no control over there own circumstances and they feel as if any little thing is a "dis" that has to be corrected and in this situation....they have control.

    I have been driving these trips for quite a while now and I can tell you that in any trip I probably averaqge getting blinked at 2-3 times and blinking at someone else 7-8 times. The other drivers either move over, or remain oblivious or as someone posted early "I ain't lettin him pass me" "I can't control anything else in this world, I have a crappy job, and a crappy life, but I control this guy" and they sit there and intentionally hold up traffic. They are not just holding up me or the car behind them, eventually there are many cars lined up waiting for the driver to get his little power trip battery charged and get bored and move out of the way.

    In my case, how retarded do you have to be to stop and get out of your car in a travel lane on an interstate in the dark? He was no threat to me, I would have run him over, runn through the median or jumped back in traffic if I thought he was any sort of threat. I was just open-mouthed with disbelief that anyone on earth could be that dumb. I did not mention that in my headlights I could see his wife or GF just raising hell at him....screaming and gesticulating wildly....lol Maybe he was suicidal.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

  15. #59
    Member Array mirage2521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW FLA
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Come on REALLY, Like I said before its rude. The OP found out the hard way how rude it is. If your pulling this crap while you are armed, You might be in for a real good time. Try not to patronize while being armed.

    LOL...how is it rude? It is common practice. What exactly did I find out the hard way? All I found out was there is a guy with Alachua county plates in an F-250 that is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. What I did was a normal action, done thousands if not tens of thousands of times a day by driver on intersttates all over the country. What he did was suicidal. So you are saying don't flash your lights if you are armed....uhhhhhh, ok. I guess. I tell you what, go get some ass time on the interstate and see how things are done. You might learn something.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

  16. #60
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    i like the posts that use the guys reaction as an indication a highbeam flash is rude....

    i hardly believe that the reaction of a guy who would stop in the middle of a busy highway in a fit of rage would be an indication of a highbeam flash being rude...i would rather tend to believe that it is an indication that some people have anger management issues that restrict their ability to interact socially in the real world...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Road Rage
    By cbp210 in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 29th, 2009, 08:18 AM
  2. Road Rage
    By Chris Dawg in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
  3. Road Rage
    By sidetech in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: July 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
  4. Road Rage....
    By BlueLion in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: October 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM
  5. Road Rage
    By Bravo3 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 16th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Search tags for this page

glock 19 road rage
,

road rage thread

,
why is road rage so common when it comes to traffic
Click on a term to search for related topics.