Another Road Rage Thread - Page 5

Another Road Rage Thread

This is a discussion on Another Road Rage Thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bladenbullet i like the posts that use the guys reaction as an indication a highbeam flash is rude.... i hardly believe that ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another Road Rage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i like the posts that use the guys reaction as an indication a highbeam flash is rude....

i hardly believe that the reaction of a guy who would stop in the middle of a busy highway in a fit of rage would be an indication of a highbeam flash being rude...i would rather tend to believe that it is an indication that some people have anger management issues that restrict their ability to interact socially in the real world...
    And therein lies the problem with blinking lights. One never knows how the driver in front will react. I remember a situation a few years ago. An 18 wheeler was being tailgaited on a 2 line highway. The driver of the truck didn't like the tailgaiting so when they came to a passing lane, the truck didn't move to the right. The driver following the truck was upset and instead of passing on the right while he had the passing lane, he continued to blink his lights for the truck to move over. When the passing lane ended, the trucker stopped his rig across the 2 lanes, got out with a tire iron, walked back, busted out the lights on the car, got back into his truck and drove away, leaving the car on a rural road with no headlights with which to drive. The trucker was reported and he was fired from his job, but it could have been much worse for either or both drivers.
    NRA life member.

What I'm taking from this thread and the polar opposite responses is that nobody is right. We should all just try to be courteous to one another....whether that's moving over to let the "speeder" pass or being patient and not flashing your lights. Right? We are all always talking about de-escalation and avoiding potentially unfriendly interactions. Sooooo....if your the guy in the left lane and someone's tail approaching fast...swallow your pride and get over....don't create a situation where someone needs to flash or honk at you. If your the guy flying up on someones butt...chill and hopefully they'll get over...like Dokota97 said "one never knows how the driver in front will react"....life goes on either way. I'll admit I'm usually the guy wondering why everyone's going below the speed limit on a 3 lane highway....but I'll never intentionally try to be a jerk to save a few minutes. I know....all this is easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    Ironic indeed considering the fact that at 78 mph I am one of the slower 50% of cars on the road.
    That still doesn't make you legal!

If you get irritated while driving like your getting irritated by answers to your post I think it's fair to believe your an aggressive driver.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    My rules for driving has kept me out of trouble so far:
    1. Try to drive in the right lane as much as possible
    2. Try to drive at about the same speed most of the other traffic is going.
    3. Try not to flash, honk, or make gestures at another driver.
    4. If someone flashes me, I pull to the right and let 'em go get that speeding ticket up ahead.

Lot's of speeding, aggressive passing, weaving in and out? How much time does it really save, and is it worth a road rage? Driving and doing something to motivate a road rage upon yourself is going against the grain on keeping yourself out of trouble.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    That still doesn't make you legal!

If you get irritated while driving like your getting irritated by answers to your post I think it's fair to believe your an aggressive driver.
    No going 78 mph does not make me legal but by keeping within the predominate flow of traffic it keeps me safer and I really care a little more about safe than legal. What I am getting from your post is that you never ever ever drive even 1 mph over the limit. I seriously doubt that is the case, this is probably a case of the pot calling the kettle black. As to when where and why I get irratated, I am not sure how that is relevant to this thread. I was not, nor did I ever become irrated throughout the entire incident. My emotions went from calm, content driving, to alarm, to simply being befuddled. The only posts that irritate me are the ones from posters with basis of pure ignorance, having an opinion on something they have no knowledge of, or the ones who make radical leaps to incorrect conclusions or make un-substantiated assumptions.

For instance, most of the folks who faulted me assumed I ran up on the guy from behind and started flashing my lights. I never said I did that, they assumed. They never even considered the possibility that I never came within 6-7 car lengths of the guy even when stopped, which is the case here. They assume that because I travel at a speed that is about mid point in the traffic flow that I am some how an unsafe or aggressive driver. Not the case! Trust me, if you have seen the wrecks and the bodies on the pavement I have seen on I-95 in the last few years, you would do just as I do and be constantly vigilant and defensive.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    And therein lies the problem with blinking lights. One never knows how the driver in front will react. I remember a situation a few years ago. An 18 wheeler was being tailgaited on a 2 line highway. The driver of the truck didn't like the tailgaiting so when they came to a passing lane, the truck didn't move to the right. The driver following the truck was upset and instead of passing on the right while he had the passing lane, he continued to blink his lights for the truck to move over. When the passing lane ended, the trucker stopped his rig across the 2 lanes, got out with a tire iron, walked back, busted out the lights on the car, got back into his truck and drove away, leaving the car on a rural road with no headlights with which to drive. The trucker was reported and he was fired from his job, but it could have been much worse for either or both drivers.
    Isn't this the case with all things in life? You never know when you are going to encounter a whack-job, an angry drunk, a parking lot commando or what ever. I don't think a reasonable man should have to walk timidly through life because he cannot predict how someone else will react to his actions. If the actions you take and the things you do are within the limits of socially accepted norms, you should not, nor will I alter my life because I might offend some hypersensitive, infantile dip stick. I almost got in a fight with a drunken redneck in the parking lot of a chinese restruant because he thought I had driven to close to his person as he stood in the middle of the road. There is no way I could predict his ridiculous response to a non-existant, "dis". Had we fought, I would have caused him some very serious injury as I am too old and to fat to spend time screwing around in a fight. He actually followed me in the restruant yelling and me trying to provoke me. When I finally turned around and faced him my 6'1" 240 lbs seemed a little more than his 155lbs redneck self wanted to mess with so he "allowed" his girlfriend to lead him away. Point being, you cannot predict the reactions of a tiny minority of people. Why try.
    Yocan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I will share a few random thoughts, in no particular order:

Anybody that has trouble with people who won't move over needs to go volunteer with their local fire or rescue or get a ride along with an LEO. Your commuter problems will seem insignificant compared to that.

I could have thousands of lights and sirens on my Medic, day or night, and there will be multiple cars that have no idea I am coming up behind them. One of the few things that actually gets their attention is a simple flash (or 5) of the headlights. (The other is the air horn. God bless that thing! I think it has the power to release bladder contents at close range!)

Check your car owner manual. That little feature that lets you quickly flash your headlights in order to get the forward car to move over? It's called "flash-to-pass." Not "flash-to-irritate" or "what the heck is this for."

I appreciate speeding drivers. I call them my personal radar screen.

For those of you who intentionally block people behind you: You are not a cop. Same theme as CCWers are not cops. You are contributing to a hazard and probably committing just as many traffic infractions as the guy behind you. (Not pointing fingers; I have been that guy.)

Growing up, both my parents would get on the interstate (getting on the interstate for them was a special occasion like vacation or an out of town doctor) or highway and set the cruise control at 55! Traffic would back up as far as the eye could see. They didn't do it to make a statement or annoy anybody, they did it because it was the posted limit.

The guy driving the truck - needs help.

I have been behind or meeting a car when I accidentally flashed while I was reaching for something. I think that "flash-to-pass" and the "Hi/Lo" push-pull should be somewhere else in the cockpit. I figure the one time I do meet Roadrage Roger will be be when I do it by mistake.

Ever see one of those little foreign jobs racing through traffic zipping from lane to lane constantly flashing his lights and laying on that annoying high pitched horn BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP? Yeah that guy. If I saw somebody whooping up on him I don't think I'd stop it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

This is what happens when you play the "braking" game.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This may be long and seem to hijack the thread and I appologize, but here is my comment and story.

I stand with the OP on this, the guy in the pick-up needs to learn how to be a safe and good driver. Obviously he is not. I agree 100% that the "flash-to-pass" headlight signal is indeed true, I have used it, it has been used on me. Just a form of communication when we can't talk person-to-person while opperating a motor vehicle on the road. This truck driver needs license revoked and spend some time in jail to think about it.

A few years ago my buddy and I were involved in a similar event on I-64 while driving to Charleston, WV. There was a vehicle in the left lane going under the speed limit and a very large semi-tractor trailer in the right hand lane a half car length in front of the moron in the left lane. We came up on him suddenly, so much in fact, that my buddy almost had to slam his brakes to keep from a rear end collision. We were the only three vehicles in that place in broad daylight and good weather. There was no reason why this person needed to hog up the left lane whatsoever. My buddy flashed his lights to indicate the guy needed to move over, allow us to pass at the speed limit and go on. Apparently, the driver decided much like the truck driver in the OP's story to be an a@@hole and hit his brakes.

I told my bud to pass on the right and when he attempted to do so, this jerk came right over in the lane with us, nearly ramming us and almost pushing us into the rear of the semi in front. Now my bud is getting really angry at this point, and he whips back over into the passing lane and goes around the idiot and the semi, then gets over in the right hand lane in front of the truck. We were both shaken a bit over this so we decided to get off the interstate, go to a Go Mart and get a soft drink.

Mr. Idiot driver apparently didn't get the message, drives like mad in behind us in the off ramp and tries to run us off the road! Let's just say that my bud has a bi polar problem and has to take medication that keeps him from blowing out into killing rages and now this idiot has set the stage for something really bad. My bud stops on the shoulder of the off ramp however to see what the intentions of this moron were. We thought he was just getting off the same exit as we were but no, he stops about two car lengths back and proceeds to get out of his car and walk towards us. Not good.

My bud gets out, and walkes calmly back to the end of his pick up bed and calmly asks the driver approaching him what the problem was. It was at that moment that I saw the passenger get out and come towards us. I jump out, because nobody is going to double team my friend. I was watching the passenger when I heard a loud "pop" and saw the idiot driver hitting the pavement and his hat flying off!

To make a long story short, this guy came up, sucker punched my friend but my bud is 6' tall, weighs in about 270lbs and is a power lifter. The punch did little and he open hand slapped this ape-driver right out of his hat. Now my buddy is in a flying rage, cussing this guy and telling him that if he even thinks about trying that crap on the highway again, he will beat him to near death. That was pretty much the end of the road rage, and the passenger looked at me and I told him I would give him what his buddy got if they didn't get back into that car and get moving. They both figured it was worthwhile to do so and did just that.

I know, it was stupid for us to get out of the pick up, especially when we didn't have any weapons. This was before I had a carry permit and carried a handgun so try not to flame me so for this. It does however prove the fact that some drivers seriously believe they are the only ones on the road.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

hbc
    There are two types of left-lane drivers, the Oblivious and the Keepers. The Oblivious are receptive to gentle reminders that they're holding up traffic. The OP's tactics work well when dealing with the Oblivious. The Keepers (those who deliberately keep the speed to their self-determined level [whether it's the speed limit or not] of what is appropriate) are on a power trip. The truck driver was a Keeper, and a moron.

No going 78 mph does not make me legal but by keeping within the predominate flow of traffic it keeps me safer and I really care a little more about safe than legal. What I am getting from your post is that you never ever ever drive even 1 mph over the limit. I seriously doubt that is the case, this is probably a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I usually drive 6mph over posted speed on interstate highways and stay in the right lane. I don't weave through traffic or try to get around others as I am already 6 over but this thread was not started about my driving was it?

As to when where and why I get irratated, I am not sure how that is relevant to this thread. I was not, nor did I ever become irrated throughout the entire incident. My emotions went from calm, content driving, to alarm, to simply being befuddled.

It's very relevant, if you can't take comments on this board without calling posters ignorant and such it's a good indication to the reader how you react to real life events.

The only posts that irritate me are the ones from posters with basis of pure ignorance, having an opinion on something they have no knowledge of, or the ones who make radical leaps to incorrect conclusions or make un-substantiated assumptions.

^^^^^^^ An example of what I was talking about. ^^^^^^^^

For instance, most of the folks who faulted me assumed I ran up on the guy from behind and started flashing my lights. I never said I did that, they assumed. They never even considered the possibility that I never came within 6-7 car lengths of the guy even when stopped, which is the case here. They assume that because I travel at a speed that is about mid point in the traffic flow that I am some how an unsafe or aggressive driver. Not the case! Trust me, if you have seen the wrecks and the bodies on the pavement I have seen on I-95 in the last few years, you would do just as I do and be constantly vigilant and defensive.

If you were content staying at the mid point and already over posted speed, then why the need to pass at all? Just saying....
    When anyone posts these type threads it's common to look at the persons demeanor by their replies as we don't really know you. What I personally have seen in some of posts in this thread is you get irritated easily. Below you feel the need to portray a guy as a redneck rather than just state the facts.

From post 66
    ''When I finally turned around and faced him my 6'1" 240 lbs seemed a little more than his 155lbs redneck self wanted to mess with so he "allowed" his girlfriend to lead him away.''

By your own standards you have made an ''ignorant assumption'', that your imposing size is what changed his mind and not actually his girlfriend. That sir is ''the pot calling the kettle black''.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I don't ever want to drive that many miles again . there are to many nut cases out there just looking to start a fight . I've learned over the years to never flash my lights or blow my horn at anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    When anyone posts these type threads it's common to look at the persons demeanor by their replies as we don't really know you. What I personally have seen in some of posts in this thread is you get irritated easily. Below you feel the need to portray a guy as a redneck rather than just state the facts.

From post 66
    ''When I finally turned around and faced him my 6'1" 240 lbs seemed a little more than his 155lbs redneck self wanted to mess with so he "allowed" his girlfriend to lead him away.''

By your own standards you have made an ''ignorant assumption'', that your imposing size is what changed his mind and not actually his girlfriend. That sir is ''the pot calling the kettle black''.
    OK, to start with you are assuming that calling someone ignorant is an insult. Perhaps you should verify for yourself the definition of ignorant. I am ignorant of many things. I bet you are to.

As far as assuming the guy was a redneck, well I grew up right here in north Florida, affectionately called the Redneck Riviera. I think I can spot em' when I encounter them. Whether or not it was me or his g/f we will never know. What we do know is that when his intended target made an about face and started moving toward him, he made a quick retreat. Was it my size? I have no idea. Was it the fact that he was coming to the realization that the old man he thought he was messing with was not the least bit scared of him? Maybe.

My assumption was not based on ignorance, I was fully aware of the facts at hand and based my assumption on the evidence presented. Once again, ignorance is not an insult. It merely means lacking in knowledge. We are all lacking in knowledge in regards to many things. I am pitifully ignorant of the molecular characteristics of polymers. I bet you are to.
    Yocan

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Isn't this the case with all things in life? You never know when you are going to encounter a whack-job, an angry drunk, a parking lot commando or what ever. I don't think a reasonable man should have to walk timidly through life because he cannot predict how someone else will react to his actions. If the actions you take and the things you do are within the limits of socially accepted norms, you should not, nor will I alter my life because I might offend some hypersensitive, infantile dip stick. I almost got in a fight with a drunken redneck in the parking lot of a chinese restruant because he thought I had driven to close to his person as he stood in the middle of the road. There is no way I could predict his ridiculous response to a non-existant, "dis". Had we fought, I would have caused him some very serious injury as I am too old and to fat to spend time screwing around in a fight. He actually followed me in the restruant yelling and me trying to provoke me. When I finally turned around and faced him my 6'1" 240 lbs seemed a little more than his 155lbs redneck self wanted to mess with so he "allowed" his girlfriend to lead him away. Point being, you cannot predict the reactions of a tiny minority of people. Why try.
    'Nuff said...
    Proud NRA member

It seems very commonplace in Canada and Europe to use 'flash to pass' method. I use it myself since I was taught to do so. But it seems that not too many people are aware that they should move over for faster traffic. Not moving over is contemptuous. We have in Ohio a trend now for drivers to pace the right lane until they run out of room, then they race +10-15 mph faster to catch up to the next guy so they cannot be passed. I have also seen road rage incidents resulting from this. The roads are crowded. They will continue to be crowded and more incidents will arise. From some of the posts in here, gun battles are inevitible. I drive fast. I drive really fast. But I only do it when I have the space available. No sense in letting my vices be a danger to others. I move over for faster vehicles as soon as I can find a hole. The OP is correct, the F250 driver has underdeveloped emotional control and lack of common sense.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links