Another Road Rage Thread

This is a discussion on Another Road Rage Thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me a few months ago and I thought I would share it. It might give everyone something to think about and possibly ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another Road Rage Thread

Another Road Rage Thread

This happened to me a few months ago and I thought I would share it. It might give everyone something to think about and possibly avoid a dangerous situation.

I commute about 800 miles once a week so I spend a great amount of time on I-95 and I-10. I was west bound on 10 a few miles out of Jax, Fl. I typically drive around 77-78 mph in a 70 zone so I am faster than a good bit of the traffic. I try to do all my passing in the left lane, you know the fast lane/passing lane. My normal tactic is to very very very quickly blink my brights at anyone who is in the fast lane and not, well going fast. 99% of the time this works, the other driver realizes they are in the wrong lane and they move over. I know it's easy to forget. I do it myself now and then and have to be gently reminded to get the hell out of the way.

Anyway, west bound out of Jax on I-10 late at night but pretty heavy traffic. I am traveling my normal speed doing my normal stuff. The right lane is pretty crowed and doing about 72mph. There is an F-250 Super Duty in the left lane going....yep, about 72 mph. I give the guy a quick flick of the lights. By quick I mean as fast as possible. What does the moron do? Slams on his brakes, not a little brake check, but slams on his brakes, of course I about poop myself as I am a little to close for those sort of games. I hit my brakes quick and safely slow down. This buffoon comes to a complete STOP in the middle of I-10 in the middle of the night in the fast lane Then he procedes to get out of his truck and start walking back to my car. At this point I am not worried about the moron near as much as I am worried about the headlights behind me getting real big real fast.

The right lane was still heavy with traffic but I found a tiny break and shot out into it. I was completely amazed that some one could be stupid enough and oblivious enough to come to a complete stop in the fast lane of an interstate in a 70 mph zone, in the dark and get out of his car. The only danger I was ever in was getting smashed from behind and that was a very real danger. The point of all this I guess is to remind you all that you should never under-estimate the stupididty of your fellow man.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    I commute about 800 miles once a week so I spend a great amount of time on I-95 and I-10. I was west bound on 10 a few miles out of Jax, Fl. I typically drive around 77-78 mph in a 70 zone so I am faster than a good bit of the traffic. I try to do all my passing in the left lane, you know the fast lane/passing lane. My normal tactic is to very very very quickly blink my brights at anyone who is in the fast lane and not, well going fast. 99% of the time this works, the other driver realizes they are in the wrong lane and they move over. I know it's easy to forget. I do it myself now and then and have to be gently reminded to get the hell out of the way.
    Okay I stopped right here, because I CANNOT stand people who do this. If I am in the fast lane, and passing traffic (going over the limit or not) what gives you the right to dictate what speed I drive or who belongs in that lane. So if someone comes behind you going 80 and flashes you does that mean you are going too slow and you don't have the right to be in that lane? so now my choice is to either stay in the lane with you tailgating and flashing me, or move one lane over and go 20 MPH slower.

middle of the night in the fast lane Then he procedes to get out of his truck and start walking back to my car. At this point I am not worried about the moron near as much as I am worried about the headlights behind me getting real big real fast.
    you're the one who started this confrontation btw.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

The actions of the driver of the pick-up truck are indeed outrageous, but you may want to consider what you did to start this incident......regularly going 7-8 mph over the posted speed limit, and flashing your lights for slower drivers to get out of your way. You do not know what is going on in the other driver's minds. They may think YOU are the one being aggresive and react to that. Just my opinion.

Glad you were able to get out situation without any harm to you or damage to your vehicle
    Molon Labe

As weird as this is, I have to agree with ct, Yes the left lane is passing, but, and its a big one, the speed limit was 70 so everyones suppose to be doing 70 no matter what lane.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is called a speed limit for a reason. Too many people push and shove in traffic. No wonder road rage is so common in our country.

When driving on a double lane expressway, I believe that the slower traffic IS suppose to move to the right lane to allow faster traffic to pass...it is also a common courtesy to do so.
    I am not suggesting that anyone judge the speed of others, just saying that one should allow those traveling faster to safely pass.

From Florida...

Expressway Safety Reminders
    Plan your trip. Know just where you will get on and get off.
    Drive in the right lane and pass on the left. If there are three lanes, use the right lane for lower speed driving, the left for passing. If you stay in the right lane, watch for cars entering the expressway. Adjust your speed or move into the center lane so they can enter safely.
    Never stop on the pavement, shoulder, or connecting ramp of an expressway except in an emergency. If your vehicle breaks down, it may be parked on the side of the expressway (completely off the pavement) for no more than six hours. Raise your hood and tie a white cloth to your antenna or left door handle to show you need help.
    Never back up on an expressway entrance ramp or exit ramp. The only exception to this would be if you are trying to enter an expressway through an exit. In this case, you would see a "WRONG WAY" or "DO NOT ENTER" sign. Then you must back up or turn around.
    Do not cross, drive on or park on the median strip.
    Do not follow too closely. Rear end collisions are the greatest danger on expressways. Always leave room for emergency stops.
    Stop driving when you feel tired. On long trips the hum of the engine and your lack of movement can make you feel sleepy. Stop for a cup of coffee, a short walk, or a nap. Do not risk falling asleep at the wheel.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Actually, the law requires slower traffic to stay right regardless of the speed they are travelling, even if over the limit. The left lane is for passing, not cruising. As my friend a state trooper told me, even if you are ten over and someone is coming up on you, you are obligated to move over. He'll take care of the faster driver down the road...

And really, does everyone do the limit on the interstate? Please.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When driving on a double lane expressway, I believe that the slower traffic IS suppose to move to the right lane to allow faster traffic to pass...it is also a common courtesy to do so.
    I am not suggesting that anyone judge the speed of others, just saying that one should allow those traveling faster to safely pass.
    So if traffic in the right is at 60, the speed limit is 70 and I am going 75 I have to get stuck behind people going 60 because some tailgater wants to go 15 over the limit?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    So if traffic in the right is at 60, the speed limit is 70 and I am going 75 I have to get stuck behind people going 60 because some tailgater wants to go 15 over the limit?
    Stuck? No, just allow the 'tailgate speeder' to pass...why not let him pass?

Wait a minute...I think the phone is ringing, and I believe it may be "Common Sense" calling in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If someone comes up hauling butt behind me and flashes me with their lights I will make sure they do not pass me!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The guy in the F-250 was stupid for stopping in the middle of the freeway. On the other hand, I'd have to agree with the majority opinion thus far and say that from my perspective, Mirage's conduct, while not necesssarily illegal, it certainly sets the stage for violent reactions.

At the same time as I say this, I am reminded of my last trip to Florida this past January when my mom died--everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY was consistently driving 8-10 mph over the posted speed limit and everybody was so aggressive and impatient. So, having said all this, I can see that the OPs behavior fits right in with everybody else down there, but my oh my! Everybody seemed to be on a hair-trigger so, while your behavior may be within socially/locally accepted limits, you may want to rethink how you drive.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stuck? No, just allow the 'tailgate speeder' to pass...why not let him pass?
    good point, once he passes, I can move back over.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    If someone comes up halling butt behind me and flashes me with their lights I will make sure they do not pass me!
    Good luck with that plan! Ooops, I think the phone is ringing again...

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I live in South Florida. Have the same thing happen to me once in a while. My response? I'm not moving from the lane. Hell half the time I'm already doing 80-90 miles per hour myself. ;)

I don't flash my lights at people either. What business do I as a speeder have to come flying up on someones tail and demand they move out of the way? NONE. I either slow down to their speed or I move into the next lane. And please no nonsense posts about the law.....In South Florida it's Mad Max rules on the road. We don't need no stink'en law. ;)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Okay I stopped right here, because I CANNOT stand people who do this. If I am in the fast lane, and passing traffic (going over the limit or not) what gives you the right to dictate what speed I drive or who belongs in that lane. So if someone comes behind you going 80 and flashes you does that mean you are going too slow and you don't have the right to be in that lane? so now my choice is to either stay in the lane with you tailgating and flashing me, or move one lane over and go 20 MPH slower.
    I don't like it either when someone flashes or tailgates me because I'm not going fast enough. If I could be in the right lane I would, or there is a line of cars in front of me that is preventing me from going faster. However I routinely see (Merritt Parkway ;)) people camping out in the left lane, matching the speed of the traffic in the right, going slower than the right or just camping out in the left late with no one in the right lane.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links