Wife's Coworker Robbed @ Gunpoint

This is a discussion on Wife's Coworker Robbed @ Gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another post of how "it" happens so fast.---------- Girlfriends, before you hear third party wrong information about my recent robbery experience, I want to give ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's Coworker Robbed @ Gunpoint

Another post of how "it" happens so fast.----------

Girlfriends, before you hear third party wrong information about my recent robbery experience, I want to give you the correct update on my last four days.

Wednesday, July 7, at 1:30 p.m. I stopped at the Shell station at the corner of Buffalo Speedway and HW59 after attending a board meeting at KTRK-TV (located at Buffalo Speedway and Bissonnet). Two men (one with gun) suddenly appeared and wanted my purse. One grabbed it from my car and they sped off. The whole incident happened in 10 seconds. The service station did not have surveillance cameras and the young station attendant did not have a working phone. A patron who pulled in to buy gas loaned me his phone to call the police. The officer arrived 1-1/2 hours later and told me I was lucky because a woman had been killed at another Shell station at HW59 near by when her purse and vehicle were both taken. I also had to have the car towed because keyless cars cannot be hotwired. The wrecked driver took me and my car back to The Woodlands in a terrible rain storm since I had remotes to get me into my gate and garage, where I had house keys hidden.

To make life more interesting - I could not get the locksmith until Friday to key the house. Thursday night around 10:30 I turned off the lights in the house and moved to the bedroom. I had already set the security alarm. I heard a noise at the front door and suddenly the alarm went off. It is extremely loud. I locked the bedroom door and put hollow points in my 38 and waited. I couldn't hear anything but the alarm so I slipped out the back bedroom door and gate and went to my neighbors. As I headed back to the house, a black small SUV drove past me going very fast. The alarm had frightened them. Good thing because the sheriff didn't arrive until 25 minutes later. Forgot to mention that my husband is in Spain.

Anyhow. That's my story.

The only advice I can give you is not to purchase gas along the SW Freeway in Houston. Being observant is not good enough to prevent this crime, and the officer said crime in the West University/Bellaire areas has more than doubled this past year. He said I was lucky to be alive and I told him it was not my time. Life is fragile and every good day is a gift.

-------------

All this a day after my wife was arguing with me over the fact that I dont like her to stop @ gas stations - I personally fill her tank up when she gets home.

Wow! Glad to hear that you made it through okay. Stay safe!
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

I locked the bedroom door and put hollow points in my 38 and waited
    why why why?! unloaded?!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    why why why?! unloaded?!
    agreed! she was probably so freaked out it took her 30 secs to load up the wheel gun! And why in the name of all thats holy did she "slip" out the back door & run to the neighbors - I dont know?

Quote Originally Posted by TMACON View Post
    agreed! she was probably so freaked out it took her 30 secs to load up the wheel gun! And why in the name of all thats holy did she "slip" out the back door & run to the neighbors - I dont know?
    Stunning what people will do when scared. Always have a plan. Was her home phone not working? No cell phone in the bedroom? Why leave the safety of your panic room to go outside? You could easily have encountered the robbers slipping around the back of the house, surprised them, and been attacked and/or killed.

The way it's written up, sounds like she was sporting some bling: fancy car and lots of jewelry. I gather that from her statement about a keyless car (only on fancy, late-model cars), and living in a gated home, etc. The crooks now had her keys and her address, and knew about her financial status. They wanted to come rob her home, now.

I will never say she deserved to robbed for being wealthy, but that's one of the reasons I drive an older, plain car, don't sport fancy watches or jewelry, and keep a low profile.

Remember that scene in American Gangster when the main character (I am bad with the names of actors) keeps a low profile and amasses all this wealth selling drugs? His new wife buys him a pimpin' $50K chinchilla coat and hat, and all of a sudden he gets the notice of the police. It shows him burning the coat in the fireplace. I found that scene compelling.

An hour and a half response time on an armed robbery j/o seems outrageous, especially after one nearby that resulted in a murder.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I gather that from her statement about a keyless car (only on fancy, late-model cars), and living in a gated home, etc.
    My wifes car has keyless entry, that doesn't mean we have lots of money. Her car is over 10 years old (1999) and has over 150k miles on it.

So I guess by the story that she didn't leave her key in the ignition, but didn't have them in her hand or pocket either. She must have turned off the car and put the keys in her purse, which she left in the vehicle while she pumped gas or something. Good thing she didn't have a gun in her purse. The BG's would now have it.

Hmm.. might be a good idea to separate the house key from the car key. Keep the house key on your person from now on. Someone steals your purse or whatever they don't get your house key.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I gather that from her statement about a keyless car (only on fancy, late-model cars)
    Nope you can get a keyless Nissan sedan and other cheaper cars as well.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    My wifes car has keyless entry, that doesn't mean we have lots of money. Her car is over 10 years old (1999) and has over 150k miles on it.

So I guess by the story that she didn't leave her key in the ignition, but didn't have them in her hand or pocket either. She must have turned off the car and put the keys in her purse, which she left in the vehicle while she pumped gas or something. Good thing she didn't have a gun in her purse. The BG's would now have it.

Hmm.. might be a good idea to separate the house key from the car key. Keep the house key on your person from now on. Someone steals your purse or whatever they don't get your house key.
    not keyless entry...keyless ignition...the keys only have to be in the vehcle for it to start...and its not uncommon for a woman to just leave them in her purse as the vehicle will start as long as the purse is in the vehicle....

not necessarily an indication she is wealthy but with the gated community information rolled in the assumption could be they are in better shape financially than quite a few others....generally thieves dont go to the slums to steal...they go to nice neighborhoods...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    not keyless entry...keyless ignition...the keys only have to be in the vehcle for it to start...and its not uncommon for a woman to just leave them in her purse as the vehicle will start as long as the purse is in the vehicle....

not necessarily an indication she is wealthy but with the gated community information rolled in the assumption could be they are in better shape financially than quite a few others....generally thieves dont go to the slums to steal...they go to nice neighborhoods...
    Like I said, you can now get lower end cars with keyless ignition for just maybe $1000 more
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

MadMac - Denzel Washington- Burnt the coat, He broke one of his own rules ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post

Thanks. I wasn't aware you could get keyless ignition on lower-end cars now. All my cars are about a decade old.

I will disagree with the highlighted quote above. Statistically, most robbery and buglaries are poor, low-rent losers taking stuff from other poor, low-rent losers. If you look at police statistics, most B & E is not in wealthy neighborhoods where they have alarms, dogs, and a druggie in a beat-up truck looks out of place and draws attention. It may seem obvious that crooks rob from the rich, but most crooks are exceedingly stupid. That's why they're crooks.

The image of the bold daylight burglar, or James Bond-type jewel thief are a statistical anomoly.

Like I said, you can now get lower end cars with keyless ignition for just maybe $1000 more
    You can buy em used for even less like I did too. Or install them yourself for even less.

But I get the point that having luxuries that others can see might make you more of a target.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    why why why?! unloaded?!
    That is exactly what I was thinking! that and how i'm reading this one to my family who lives in the woodlands.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Situations like this are the reason my wife does NOT carry a purse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links