Defensive Carry banner

Burglers try to break in home of ex-cop, ex-cop holds them at gunpoint.

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Moga 
#1 ·
This is my wife's cousin. He used to be a cop and now works at home with his computer business. While he was at home working during the day, 2 guys tried to break into his home through the basement. As he runs outside with his gun, the guys jump in their car. For some reason, even though they had the car cranked, they complied with him when he commanded them to get out of the car and get on the ground. Pretty cool.

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/former-cop-turns-tables-576632.html

#2 ·
Another one for the good guys

#8 ·
I disagree. From the OP article, "He grabbed a handgun from a safe and high-tailed it outside in time to see a pair of young thieves bolting for their car. "So I just in a cop fashion ran over, addressed them, ordered them out of the car onto the ground and called the cops," Gimbert said."

As I posted, if the ex-cop had used the gun instead of just pointing it, it would be completely analogous. He would have been firing at suspects who were "bolting for their car"...almost by definition, suspects bolting away from you are NOT a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm. The 82-year old old man in Colorado who did so is now in danger of being sent to prison for life for going outside and shooting at thieves in a car leaving. Either way, both cases involve BGs getting away as quickly as they could.

#9 ·
Quick thinking and an excellent outcome for this ex-cop.:congrats:
Not much will happen to these young thugs though, if they don't change their ways, they'll eventually meet the wrong home owner 'inside' the dwelling.:dead1::dead1:

#13 ·
As mentioned above, you have the right to use reasonable force to protect your propert. Being an ex-cop had nothing to do with the legality of what happened in this case as nothing illegal was done on his part.

From what I remember from my CC class, you can hold a suspect at gun point until the cops get there, but you just wouldn't be able to actually shoot them if they did flee. My wife spoke to the ex-cop from this scenario and he even said he was very surprised that they didn't drive off b/c they were in the car already and if they had've drove off there was nothing he couldn've done.

He had the right to point his gun at them b/c they were on his property. He couldn't shoot them unless he felt his life was in danger, but he has the right to protect his property so he can point his gun b/c he would need to shoot them if they decided to harm him in order to take his property.

Also, I think you could do this if you caught a guy inside your car trying to steal it while in a parking lot. You could hold him at gunpoint until cops got there. You would still just be protecting your property.

#14 ·
Basically, from the point of view of what is permissible by Georgia law, the relevant facts follow: the offenders forcefully entered the home owners' home with the intent to commit a crime. Said offenders were confronted by the armed victim while still on the victim's property. Right away, Georgia castle doctrine applies. Drawing his weapon and confronting the burglars is fully covered by the law given the fact that his home was forcibly entered while he was there. The outcome for the home owner still having his freedom really has nothing to do with his former occupation.

Having said that, I personally would have done things differently. Holding people at gunpoint is not my job. Getting them to cease their criminal actions is what I aim to achieve.

Gunsandmore, I also have a FL CWP and am familiar with the provision in Florida Statutes that would punish a man for three years for pointing his weapon at some one without proper cause. We don't have a similar stipulation to deadly force use in Georgia.

#19 ·
I don't believe it was a bluff, but his training and experience. It is no different than active uniformed officers ordering felons from a vehicle with drawn weapons. The drawn weapons are for defense against a threat justifying lethal force, should one arise, not to bluff the felons out of the vehicle. How the felons take it is on them. Shooting at them if they flee is a whole different matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.