Defensive Carry banner

Hit and run?

708 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Tala 
#1 ·
If somebody hits me, lets say they rearend me and it's not too bad. If I don't stop, would it be a "hit and run" citation on me, even though I was the one who GOT hit?

Here's my scenario that got me thinking this afternoon. I deliver pizza, it's a tough job. You would almost have to set a trap, because we are not relaibly in the same place all the time.
So there's the obvious ones, like calling in a fake order order, or boxing me in at a parking lot or dead end road....but howabout someone rearends me at a redlight after dark when there is nobody around - to get me to stop?
If I stop, could be a setup. If I don't stop....

#2 ·
If there is a public, well lit kind of place like a gas station, I'd pull in there.

Although one time an elderly lady side-swiped me in traffic, and just kept on driving in her Caddie. I had my dad in the passenger seat call 911, and followed her until she pulled into a grocery store parking lot a mile or two down the road. Several other folks who had been in traffic around me also pulled in to give statements, which was nice of them. A sheriff's deputy had been about 4 cars behind me the whole time, and saw the whole thing. The elderly lady told the police that she had been afraid I might harm her, and that is why she drove to the shopping center, never mind that I was like 18, and had my dad and little brother in a minivan. But the police didn't charge her with anything like hit and run.

One thing to think about though, is if you just keep driving, and it was clearly the other persons fault, they may just drive off, leaving you to have to pay for it all yourself, or for your insurance to. Especially late at night when the drunk drivers like to be out I could see that happening. I think your best bet in your scenario would be to maintain good SA, and let them come up to your car while keeping eyes on them, crack the window, tell them you are going to drive to some point down the road to trade information, you could even say "so that I can check for damage in the light". That way you are in the less vulnerable position, and still have a rapid escape route available to you, since you are still in your car. Also if things go bad you have a description of the BG, and at least a basic desciption of the care (make/color) to call in once you get to a safe place if things go bad.

I'm sure some of the LEO's on here can chime in, as they deal with traffic stuff all the time.

#3 ·
One thing to think about though, is if you just keep driving, and it was clearly the other persons fault, they may just drive off, leaving you to have to pay for it all yourself, or for your insurance to. Especially late at night when the drunk drivers like to be out I could see that happening. I think your best bet in your scenario would be to maintain good SA, and let them come up to your car while keeping eyes on them, crack the window, tell them you are going to drive to some point down the road to trade information, you could even say "so that I can check for damage in the light".
I had thought of that.
But the trucks that I drive are beaters. One has already been totaled, and the other's blue book value depens on how much gas is in the tank. If it's still driveable (and in this scenario I'm pretending that it is, we're not talking about a bad accident) then any repair work will be done by me and my dad with parts from U Pull It, if I do any body work at all.

I think if you told them to meet down at Jimmy's gas or wherever, that they might take THAT chance to drive off as well. I'm not super concerned about my trucks or having their insurance pay, I just don't want a bad night to get worse. If I were to get a hit and run ticket, I would probably be barred from delivering pizza.

#4 ·
Wouldnt calling 911 work as you drive to a safe site and letting them know where you are/are going?

I have to say, I'd want to maneuver and get their plate number (if they didnt continue to follow me to that safe place).

And I think that even if you werent the guilty party, you are obligated to stop ,somewhere. Esp since that fact (guilt) may be disputed.

#5 ·
Downside is even tho you were rear ended the guy that hit you might call the cops and report that you backed into them and then took off,possibly getting you charged with leaving the scene and failure to report,back when I was an LEO any damage under 300.00 did not have to be reported,nowadays I think they raised it but you need to be callin 911 reporting the accident and you are going to pull into a public parking area,putting your flashers on can let the other driver know you aren't trying to run off

#6 ·
I think they raised it to $500, which is what, a taillight? :p

#8 ·
What if the person who hit you needed medical attention and you just drove off... besides being illegal in most states, it'd just be a really poor thing to do! :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.