Another Purse Snatcher Scenario

This is a discussion on Another Purse Snatcher Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CyanLite Actually, in my state of Alabama, robbery includes the "immediate flight afterwards". In Florida, it does not. If BG is fleeing, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Purse Snatcher Scenario

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    Actually, in my state of Alabama, robbery includes the "immediate flight afterwards".
    In Florida, it does not. If BG is fleeing, you are no longer in immediate danger.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

2. Remove Ads

In Texas I would see if the sun had set.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    These types of threads are terrifying to me as a gun owner, and further a person who carries daily. The very fact that CyanLite would list "shooting the purse snatcher in the back as he runs away because he is committing a felony" as an possible response, clearly shows his or her lack of understanding in regards to self-defense laws. Law abiding, albeit stupid or uneducated in regards to SD laws. These people will have a hand in the down fall of our 2A rights if they are allowed to carry out these acts. Luckily some people stumble across resources such as online gun related forums.

OP, shooting a purse snatcher who already has your wifes purse, and is clearly running away, would land you in jail. I'm not up on your state laws, and I won't pretend to act as if I know them. However you need to look at some basic principles for using lethal force for self defense. The first would be "I was in fear for my life, my life was in imminent danger of death, or serious bodily injury". If that is not happening, you are not justified in shooting.

Using lethal force to stop a felony, well, it can't be just any felony. You can't shoot someone for embezzling money, or carrying a kilo of cocaine, even if they are doing it right infront of you and the actor is in the middle of committing the crime. I will stop here because my state doesn't really have outrageous laws like this, yet. I will say that you will likely have to prove you were in fear for your life or anothers, in all but the most extreme states, ie texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I will say that you will likely have to prove you were in fear for your life or anothers, in all but the most extreme states, ie texas.
    Even in Texas, the Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground laws only allow you to protect your home, vehicle, and workplace from intruders, or if certain violent crimes are taking place. So I bet the DA may have words with you for shooting someone as they siphon funds electronically from someone's bank account.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Call 911 and wait for the dye pack to explode.

he took the purse and is already running? If he's unarmed I can't catch him i'll call the police, but i'm not shooting a fleeing felon in the back.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    My wife doesn't carry a purse.

(A purse snatching is one crime that is completely preventable.)
    How so? I have a purse with wire thru the strap. Someone could go by on a bike in a park or urban environment and grab it...and either drag me or get the purse....and I wouldnt be able to hold on. And I dont carry my purse on the 'road' side however parks, city streets, etc....that's different.

And how is if preventable if I'm not carrying my gun (as there are many cases where I cant take my gun) and someone with a weapon confronts me at close quarters? I would run from anything but a gun or a knife at my throat, however that can still happen. And no one can walk 20 ft from everyone else all the time....The people that say they 'mever let anyone that close to them' are not being very realistic.

LOL, sorry. Of course if you dont carry a purse, it is 100% preventable. I stand corrected.
    These are just 2 examples but if you have advice or examples of your own to support your statement I am interested in hearing them.
    Last edited by 9MMare; July 26th, 2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Last sentence, correction
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    You're walking out of the local mall at night after doing some late night Christmas shopping, and BG runs by and snatches your wife's purse. You are of course in Condition Orange, but it's a busy shopping mall, the BG isn't a teenage punk, but rather a middle-aged white guy with a polo shirt and khaki's. He has not presented a weapon, however you don't know what he has.

What do you do? Do you pull (your weapon) and pursue? Do you shoot him in the back (he is after all in the process of committing a felony robbery)?

)
    You are in a busy mall! Hello?????

I wouldnt even consider drawing my weapon. And the penalty for doing so is probably harsher than that for purse snatching.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

clearly the answer is put two in his back one in the back of the head.

just to be sure

granted, you'll spend 25 to life behind bars

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    My wife doesn't carry a purse.

(A purse snatching is one crime that is completely preventable.)
    Let's see... hmmm...

Checkbook, money, change, driver's license, CHL, insurance card, prescription card, debit card, credit card, small amount of makeup, asthma inhaler, glucose meter, nailclippers, small pen and notepad, reading/driving glasses and case, small kleenex pack, comb, two sets of keys, a protein bar and small amount of candy in case of hypoglycemia, and other odds and ends. And, when I was married, my husband's keys and wallet - because they were "too heavy" for the big guy to carry. Not to mention my gun and a spare mag - in a separate pocket.

Most of that I use on a daily basis. I call BS on "completely preventable."
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Let's see... hmmm...

Checkbook, money, change, driver's license, CHL, insurance card, prescription card, debit card, credit card, small amount of makeup, asthma inhaler, glucose meter, nailclippers, small pen and notepad, reading/driving glasses and case, small kleenex pack, comb, two sets of keys, a protein bar and small amount of candy in case of hypoglycemia, and other odds and ends. And, when I was married, my husband's keys and wallet - because they were "too heavy" for the big guy to carry. Not to mention my gun and a spare mag - in a separate pocket.

LOLOLOL

And a great mystery is revealed to most male posters on this forum. (j/k)
    Fortune favors the bold.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=gruntingfrog;1713127]Neither of these is a good option.

Shooting the robber in the back is the absolute worst thing you could do if you enjoy your freedom (or have any semblance of respect for human life). I'm not a lawyer, but I would argue that the robber is not "committing" a robbery, but "has committed" a robbery by the time he is running away. The stand your ground doctrine would come into effect if your wife were hanging on to the purse and a struggle for its possession ensued. Then, the robber would be in the act of "committing" a robbery.

The spirit of the law is that certain crimes such as robbery are inherently very dangerous, and if someone is about to commit or committing a robbery against you it is reasonable to assume that violence is about to occur. Therefore, you may respond in kind to protect yourself or your loved ones. Once the robber has whatever the object is and is fleeing, you're no longer in danger so you don't have justification to shoot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Would you also apply this line of thinking (in bold) if, say your wife or girlfriend was just raped while you were preoccupied(being tied up by BG just prior), but now hes finished, and you somehow freed yourself, just as he turns and walked ot the door. Still not gonna shoot???
    The laws are goofed up, in the sense that in one felony act , you would probably be justified, and in the other, you would probably be up the creek without a paddle

If you spend your day doing nothing, how do you know when you're done?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Let's see... hmmm...

Just because you carry an entire restroom with you, doesn't meant its not completely preventable (plenty of women do not carry an entire Spa with them)

Would you also apply this line of thinking (in bold) if, say your wife or girlfriend was just raped while you were preoccupied(being tied up by BG just prior), but now hes finished, and you somehow freed yourself, just as he turns and walked ot the door. Still not gonna shoot???
    The laws are goofed up, in the sense that in one felony act , you would probably be justified, and in the other, you would probably be up the creek without a paddle
    actually in neither case are you justified. Just because a jury or DA might be lenient does not mean you were following the law.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Just because you carry an entire restroom with you, doesn't meant its not completely preventable (plenty of women do not carry an entire Spa with them)
    I guess you didnt read my post then.

(Again, unless you dont carry a purse at all)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Well in the exact situation described in the OP... I leave it holstered and chase the guy down. I'm 22 and very athletic. If we're really talking about a middle-aged man here, I'm getting that purse back. If anyone asks questions about why I chased him, I'll point to Oklahoma's statutes allowing any citizen to arrest anyone for any misdemeanor or felony they have witnessed, as well as the statutes allowing "reasonable force" in the apprehension and detention of said person.

This is all assuming that my girlfriend doesn't beat me to him.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links