Another Purse Snatcher Scenario - Page 3

Another Purse Snatcher Scenario

This is a discussion on Another Purse Snatcher Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gilraen Let's see... hmmm... Checkbook, money, change, driver's license, CHL, insurance card, prescription card, debit card, credit card, small amount of makeup, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Purse Snatcher Scenario

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Let's see... hmmm...

Checkbook, money, change, driver's license, CHL, insurance card, prescription card, debit card, credit card, small amount of makeup, asthma inhaler, glucose meter, nailclippers, small pen and notepad, reading/driving glasses and case, small kleenex pack, comb, two sets of keys, a protein bar and small amount of candy in case of hypoglycemia, and other odds and ends. And, when I was married, my husband's keys and wallet - because they were "too heavy" for the big guy to carry. Not to mention my gun and a spare mag - in a separate pocket.

Most of that I use on a daily basis. I call BS on "completely preventable."
    I carry an inhaler. epi-pen, peppermint candy and extra medication. I also know a girl who must carry a meter and wear a insulin pump; all "without" a purse.

I carry my own keys & wallet. A DL, credit card, debit card, insurance card and a little cash will ALL fit nicely in a small concealable wallet.

A pair of good glasses with progressive lenses takes care of mine and my wifes need for reading & driving glasses.

That leaves the UN-necessary stuff. ALL of which can be kept in your vehicle or GHB. My wife and I both still carry our gun and spare magazines. We sometimes even carry a BUG.

Heck, my wife has even learned how to avoid carrying a purse during that "special" time of the month. So, there is in fact "TRUTH" to what I said.

You may call my post bs. But, I call your remarks typical liberal idiocy; stated just to provoke an argument and reveal your elitist mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I carry an inhaler. epi-pen, peppermint candy and extra medication. I also know a girl who must carry a meter and wear a insulin pump; all "without" a purse.

I carry my own keys & wallet. A DL, credit card, debit card, insurance card and a little cash will ALL fit nicely in a small concealable wallet.

A pair of good glasses with progressive lenses takes care of mine and my wifes need for reading & driving glasses.

That leaves the UN-necessary stuff. ALL of which can be kept in your vehicle or GHB. My wife and I both still carry our gun and spare magazines. We sometimes even carry a BUG.

Heck, my wife has even learned how to avoid carrying a purse during that "special" time of the month. So, there is in fact "TRUTH" to what I said.

You may call my post bs. But, I call your remarks typical liberal idiocy; stated just to provoke an argument and reveal your elitist mentality.
    I didnt realize that carrying a purse was liberal idiocy....or elitist. Nor that making a convenient, efficient choice was either. We dont have to shuffle things around everytime we leave the house, we dont have to worry about things (valuable things) being left behind or falling out of pockets. And we also dont have to worry about looking like lumpy pack mules when we go out. And walking around with a tampon stuck down in your sock all day isnt particularly comfortable.

Not to mention that cars are broken into and stolen all the time. The main reason I almost never ever leave my gun in there, even locked up.

Not to mention that men would be alot less pleased if the majority of women started walking around with loose-fitting clothing, lumps at waists and in pockets (which looks silly on men as well) just so they could avoid carrying purses.

Some of us dont create more inconvenience and discomfort just to make a self-righteous point about not carrying purses and judging what is necessary to some people and unnecessary to others.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    Actually, in my state of Alabama, robbery includes the "immediate flight afterwards".
    I am not a lawyer, but your scenario does not meet the requirements of "Robbery" in my mind.

Robbery: The unlawful taking or attempted taking of property that is in the immediate possession of another, by force or threat of force.
    I think that you would be hard pressed to convince twelve people that taking a purse off a person's arm is threat or use of force, but like I said, I'm not a lawyer. As Gloves noted, the first couple of seconds is most crucial in regards to foot chases. Once you catch him you are going to have to decide what to do with him, and he may not be all that cooperative.

This scenario is not one in which someone should be using a gun, IMHO. There is however at least one gun present, and that needs to be kept in mind if you do decide to give chase. Having chased, held, and fought with people I can tell you from personal expirience it's no fun, but it is nice to see the air go out of a badguy when you plant your knee on his back, using only the minimum amount of force necessary to control the situation.

Often the private citizen can do more to bring about justice than all the agents of the law enforcement community and triers of facts. If you can accomplish your task, get the purse back, and go home unharmed it is a good day. If not, then it sucks to be you. It's even better if the badguy will wear his badges of conflict for a while and hurt when he urinates.

Biker

I think that one of the things not often discussed, is a split second HONEST evaluation as to if you have the attributes, training and experience to provide at least a good probability that you will be successful in your chosen action. Not a guarantee, but a good probability, for if you want a guarantee you will never take any action. For those at either end of the scale, the decision is relatively easy. For those in the middle it becomes more difficult.

Scenarios and news events allow the ability to assess situations that may occur and evaluate your perceived probability of success in a chosen action without commitment. The benefit is that if a smiilar situation occurs, you already have a pretty good feel for your success probability and the extent of action you should take.

The above refers to optional actions, not those where you are in lethal jeopardy and you must take action to save your life regardless of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I am not a lawyer, but your scenario does not meet the requirements of "Robbery" in my mind.

I think that you would be hard pressed to convince twelve people that taking a purse off a person's arm is threat or use of force, but like I said, I'm not a lawyer. As Gloves noted, the first couple of seconds is most crucial in regards to foot chases. Once you catch him you are going to have to decide what to do with him, and he may not be all that cooperative.

This scenario is not one in which someone should be using a gun, IMHO. There is however at least one gun present, and that needs to be kept in mind if you do decide to give chase. Having chased, held, and fought with people I can tell you from personal expirience it's no fun, but it is nice to see the air go out of a badguy when you plant your knee on his back, using only the minimum amount of force necessary to control the situation.

Often the private citizen can do more to bring about justice than all the agents of the law enforcement community and triers of facts. If you can accomplish your task, get the purse back, and go home unharmed it is a good day. If not, then it sucks to be you. It's even better if the badguy will wear his badges of conflict for a while and hurt when he urinates.

Biker
    Actually..snatching something away from me forcefully is...in fact...force
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Actually..snatching something away from me forcefully is...in fact...force
    Try selling purse snatching as a violent felony to a jury.

Yes, robbery is a felony, but most standards specify "armed robbery" to use lethal force. If you want to attempt to "split hairs", be my guest. I know I shant.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I guess you didnt read my post then.

(Again, unless you dont carry a purse at all)
    apparently you didnt read tcox' post then..because not carrying a purse is what they were referring to...as in any scenario thread someone always has to stand up and proudly say "i wouldnt go to the mall' or "i dont carry a purse" so it couldnt happen to them...its standard operating procedure for people who really dont need to carry a weapon because they take every possible precaution there is to never encounter evil...

i think the responsible answer is like any situation...evaluate what you would do if you didnt carry and use it as your first move if its feesible...i dont see an issue with taking chase and making someone pay for taking something of my wifes....with any luck and just a bit of the failed sa present you might even get a piece of him as he makes the grab...that way you dont even have to waste your breath running after him...and the opportunity to inflict pain with good reason is about as satisfying as it gets as far as i'm concerned...nobody is gonna stop someone from pummeling the crap out of a purse snatcher in a public place...

I didnt realize that carrying a purse was liberal idiocy....or elitist. Nor that making a convenient, efficient choice was either. We dont have to shuffle things around everytime we leave the house, we dont have to worry about things (valuable things) being left behind or falling out of pockets. And we also dont have to worry about looking like lumpy pack mules when we go out. And walking around with a tampon stuck down in your sock all day isnt particularly comfortable.

Not to mention that cars are broken into and stolen all the time. The main reason I almost never ever leave my gun in there, even locked up.

Not to mention that men would be alot less pleased if the majority of women started walking around with loose-fitting clothing, lumps at waists and in pockets (which looks silly on men as well) just so they could avoid carrying purses.

Some of us dont create more inconvenience and discomfort just to make a self-righteous point about not carrying purses and judging what is necessary to some people and unnecessary to others.
    I did not say carrying a purse is liberal idiocy. I said calling my remarks BS was typical liberal idiocy.

My belief is that carrying a purse "when" you do not need to is very UN-wise. It violates the most important rule of self-defense: AVOIDANCE.

Most women today can completely avoid carrying a purse. Todays CC choices and fashions lend themselves quite well to looking good, (not lumpy ) and being SAFE!

IMHO; Purses are NOT the best things for a woman to carry in this day & age. (In most cases they just don't have to carry one.)

It is especially UN-wise to keep your gun in your purse and NOT on your person. But, you don't have to take my word for it. Just ask the lady who was almost raped recently during a HIR. Fortunately, she was able to convince the BG to relinquish her purse before he found her handgun.

It really just boils down to priorities.

I did not say carrying a purse is liberal idiocy. I said calling my remarks BS was typical liberal idiocy.

My belief is that carrying a purse "when" you do not need to is very UN-wise. It violates the most important rule of self-defense: AVOIDANCE.

Most women today can completely avoid carrying a purse.
    Todays CC choices and fashions lend themselves quite well to looking good, (not lumpy ) and being SAFE!

IMHO; Purses are NOT the best things for a woman to carry in this day & age. (In most cases they just don't have to carry one.)

It is especially UN-wise to keep your gun in your purse and NOT on your person. But, you don't have to take my word for it. Just ask the lady who was almost raped recently during a HIR. Fortunately, she was able to convince the BG to relinquish her purse before he found her handgun.

It really just boils down to priorities.
    Uh, ok. What you seem to imply is that a woman carrying a purse is just asking for it...kinda like rape.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I would suggest that, "presents a target more likely for selection" than, "is just asking for it" is probably a more accurate interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would suggest that, "presents a target more likely for selection" than, "is just asking for it" is probably a more accurate interpretation.
    So does just being female.

Esp when it comes to purse snatching. lol
    Fortune favors the bold.

What we should seek to do is REASONABLY minimize our risk. We do still want to enjoy life.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    What we should seek to do is REASONABLY minimize our risk. We do still want to enjoy life.

^5 Agreed.

SD is all about SA. If I am on top of things and see something or feel threatened, I can have my hand on my gun in my purse. I can make it look like I'm reaching for a cell phone or keys. I'll have that element of surprise and immediate draw time. Someone holster carrying is much more likely to signal they're carrying when they move their garment aside/reach for a gun. I have practiced this many times and I can also shoot thru my purse (I have practiced aiming this way as well).

If I am contronted face-to-face by a mugger, pursesnatcher, whatever, and they have a gun drawn....I wouldnt attempt to outdraw them anyway, holster or purse holster. I dont have that skill and I havent yet learned the CQB skills necessary either. I would hand over purse and immediately run in the opposite direction. There's nothing in that purse worth my life.

There are good points and even some advantages to purse carry.....as well as disadvantages. As I've posted before, I havent forgotten my purse since the early 90's...and I did it bizarrely twice in one week. Before that, it was also a decade or so.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Uh, ok. What you seem to imply is that a woman carrying a purse is just asking for it...kinda like rape.
    Heavens NO! 9mm

Believe me; as a husband of a rape survivor, I would NEVER imply such a thing!

I'm not even saying a woman should not carry a purse "sometimes". But, I am saying women need to be more careful.

Women need to realize that a purse is a very attractive target. Thieves know that women who usually carry a purse, keep all sorts of goodies inside. (A DL, and checkbook with your "HOME" address on them; "house" keys so they can go to the address on your DL) To top off the fact that a woman's purse can yield all sorts of goodies for a BG, a purse snatching is usually a very easy crime to carry out.

So, I say why not help yourself? "NOT" carrying a purse is just one more thing women can do that will help them avoid becoming a victim.

Heavens NO! 9mm

Believe me; as a husband of a rape survivor, I would NEVER imply such a thing!

I'm not even saying a woman should not carry a purse "sometimes". But, I am saying women need to be more careful.

Women need to realize that a purse is a very attractive target. Thieves know that women who usually carry a purse, keep all sorts of goodies inside. (A DL, and checkbook with your "HOME" address on them; "house" keys so they can go to the address on your DL) To top off the fact that a woman's purse can yield all sorts of goodies for a BG, a purse snatching is usually a very easy crime to carry out.

So, I say why not help yourself? "NOT" carrying a purse is just one more thing women can do that will help them avoid becoming a victim.

My heart goes out to you and your wife for your strength.

I understand what you are saying.

btw, I hate carrying purses and tend to carry the smallest possible if I must. UNTIL I got my gun. Now I have been trying to make carrying it (in purse) a habit just like my cell phone...which I also dislike but carry because it is an indispensible emergency tool.

After all was evaluated, purse carry is the best everyday method for me. So now I am stuck carrying one more than before! But I place my safety over the inconvenience and try to keep my SA up at all times.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links