Man threatening to "help quiet down" a loud obnoxious toddler scenario

This is a discussion on Man threatening to "help quiet down" a loud obnoxious toddler scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Back 40 Biker, I normally agree with you in lock step. On this one you are so far off. If you don't ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Man threatening to "help quiet down" a loud obnoxious toddler scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    Biker,
    I normally agree with you in lock step. On this one you are so far off. If you don't want to have to deal with children or "breeders" go to a bar where children are not allowed. If you are in a public place get used to it. I do agree that children should be removed if they are causing a scene but to believe that your rights trump anyone elses to be in a public resturant is a little alarming.
    The reverse is what often happens with children in public. Too often parents with children mistakenly think that no discipline is AT ALL required. (or that we must just "deal" with unruly brats. Parents with children have no more rights than I do. Better yet, why must people drag their children out all the time anyhow? That is what sitters are for. Too cheap to hire a sitter? Then you cannot afford to eat out. Stay home and order pizza.

2. Remove Ads

This is just life. Kids, children, and toddlers will be in public and they will be loud and unrulely. In public you'll run accross it every day. This thread is about how to handle hostile attention towards yours.
    My youngest is 8 and is autistic. He's been out and about with us and has been loud and unrulely every once and again. When that happens, he's removed. Most of the time he's absolutly just fine and no louder than anyone else. I'm pretty senstive to how his behavior is affecting others around us. So, in turn, I expect the same from others........and in that expectation I'm often disappointed. It happens.

Now, if someone gets 'hostile'.............
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    A man a few tables over turns and orders you to control that baby of yours and stop the noise.
    My response: Mind your own business.

A few moments later the man again raises his voice and demands that you "quiet down your kid or else I'll have to do it for you".
    My response: I'm standing up ready to meet the threat head on! I'll begin to explain to him that he is about to make a very serious mistake!

The man is now furious. He gets up from his chair, says "I warned your sorry a**. Someone needs to teach this kid a lesson here" and begins his approach towards your family in a threatening manner.
    My response: If he gets within striking distance he is getting hit with everything I got. If he produces a weapon mine will be in my hand as well.
    You said it pretty good, and it didn't take an hour to read i agree with you totally

Flame suit on. Did not bother to read all 130+ posts.

When I was that age, my parents did not take me to restaurants for that very reason...a screaming obnoxious child was not tolerated at a restaurant. I think I was somewhere in the vicinity of 7 before I went out to eat with my parents. Even when shopping I have vague memories of being spanked, removed from the store, left in the car, if I started acting up.

Wife and I are childfreey choice. When we go out to eat...anywhere...we ask for a table AWAY form any small children for that very reason. We do not want our dinner with that background noise, which has become all to common. Really annoying when we go to higher end restaurant for a romantic night out. Parents these days seem to have grown immune to the ear bleeding screeches their offspring make, and do nothing to stop it, while the rest of the building are expected to tolerate it.

I have less than politely requested, but never threatened, that the parents tone down their child or remove it when it has become constant. In my patchwearing days actually took up a seat with the parents and started dining on their food (after their 2 youths were let free to run around the restaurant and bumped into our table several times, spilling drinks) and said after several seconds of stunned silence, "I'm sorry, am I bothering you? You see, your feral children have bumped into my friends and I several times interrupting our meal, so I thought I would return the favor. Now please leash them or the rest of us are going to join you for dinner." My wife and I have paid for several families meals when they took their screaming child out so as to not bother the other patrons of the restaurant.

Sorry if I have offended and parents on this board, but children should be seen and not heard, have some respect for the rest of the public and do something to keep the volume down to normal conversation volume. You may be used to it, but the rest of the planet does not revolve around your child and it's need to screech, and throw tantrums in public venues.

A special thank you to those that do remove the source of the screeching until it stops. Let me know when you are in town and I will buy you a dinner.

Regards to the OP...

No, threatening is out of line, but one should take note that if it does get to that point. Maybe they ought to step back and take a serious look at what caused it. People in general do not do things like that for no reason. Your child's activities may be the norm to you, but if some stranger has gotten to the point of repeated requests for quiet down and control, it may seriously be legitimate. You would not tolerate an adult doing the same to you.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I have 4 kids and 3 grandchildren. I would not tolerate anyone behaving towards them in a threatening manner. I am sensitive about how my grandkids act in public. If my wife and I want to go out to eat and the youngest (11 months) is in a cranky mood, we dont go. I love children with all my heart, but I agree that when I go out I don't want to hear constantly screaming children. If my youngest begins to cry I immediately see to her. If she won't stop, we would simply leave rather than ruin someone elses dinner. To the OP, once this guy was up out of his seat after that statement, I would have knocked him out. No man has the right to threaten a child.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

I'm pretty sure that my actions wouldn't be focused on how to handle the other patron. I'd probably be too busy cringing with sympathy pain for the guy while my wife applies her patented kung-fu grip to his nuts.

VIP Member
    I find this thread to be pretty funny. To all of you "get a sitter types" , sometimes sitters cancel. Poop happens. I try very hard to keep my kids in line and almost never have any problems with them. Most of the time people around us end up playing peek a boo (or other silliness) with my kids. It seems that many people find well behaved kids to be a pleasure. The hard part is that my wife and I spend so much time making sure our kids are quiet and eating properly that it's hard for us to enjoy our meal. In the end it's usually easier to stay home than to take the whole clan out for dinner.

I think it is just like anything else in America, some people are selfish and don't care about others. Be it driving, in the workplace or in a crowded restaraunt some people make an effort to not be annoying and others are selfish pigs.

As to the original OP scenario: I would explain kindly to the man that I'm doing the best that I can. Then if he tried to lay hands on any of my family I would rip hig guts out and eat them in front of him.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    if he tried to lay hands on any of my family I would rip hig guts out and eat them in front of him.
    You may be pleasantly surprised to know that English has a term for that: bowel-rack - to cut or wound so that the intestines are exposed. So here, for instance, you could have said, "somebody tries that, I'd bowel-rack him!" You'd think, off hand, that this wouldn't be a particularly useful term, but here we are, lo and behold.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    You may be pleasantly surprised to know that English has a term for that: bowel-rack - to cut or wound so that the intestines are exposed. So here, for instance, you could have said, "somebody tries that, I'd bowel-rack him!" You'd think, off hand, that this wouldn't be a particularly useful term, but here we are, lo and behold.
    Thanks Shockwave. I always like to learn a new word or phrase. Frankly, I feel smarter already.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I have a 3 year old so I understand this situation. If someone puts their hand on my child they are probably getting shot, I will not tolerate it. I am lucky that I have a well bahaved child and we make sure we are attentive parents so it is really not something likely to happen. Restaurant management should be involved as soon as the contact becomes negative.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I will take my kids wherever I please, and, kids being kids, will sometimes annoy others around us. If you want a peaceful quiet night, then dont go to a family restaurant. My kids are not to be seen and not heard, and have every right you do. If they are to unruly then that is for my Wife or I to deal with, as is it our decision when this line has been crossed. However, if someone were to try to make a scene being a tough guy, you would first probably just get a laugh out of me. It would be in their best interest not to approach us again. I consider my fighting days over, but I havent forgot how.

I'd step between the person and my kid with OC spray in my left hand and my right hand positioned in such a manner that I could quickly draw if necessary. If he advances, spray him and go from there.

I've got a 2 year old, and he's wild. There have been several occasions that we asked them to bring boxes when they brought the food out and we left. It's no fun for the parents of a kid that's having a fit. We either take him for an "adventure walk" to calm him down if the food is not out yet or we just leave. I've gotten the stink eye from some old biddies before, but no one has ever said anything. I pitty the fool that would ever threaten to do anything to our kids...my old lady would fly into them like a monkey into a cupcake. If she got on 'em, they'd be begging me to put one in them to stop the suffering.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

By and large, I think the chances of someone addressing your child is not going to happen.

IMO, obviously the kid does not know any better, so it's the parents that need addressing, as they have not installed the "mute" button on the child effectively, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    I will take my kids wherever I please, and, kids being kids, will sometimes annoy others around us. If you want a peaceful quiet night, then dont go to a family restaurant. My kids are not to be seen and not heard, and have every right you do. If they are to unruly then that is for my Wife or I to deal with, as is it our decision when this line has been crossed...
    Hmmmm

A family restaurant. I guess that would be up to the interpretation of what a nice family dinner is composed of. Funny how the major restaurants that advertise as being A Family Restaurant on TV don't show the screaming child in the booster seat, or the 3, 4, and 5 year old playing chase through the place (Chuck E. Cheese and Jungle Jim's does). That certainly would not be effective advertising. A family restaurant does not equate to just like home, except someone else is cooking. So whatever is the norm in the dining room at home is perfectly fine behavior when you go out doesn't fly.

Not going to get into the "My kids have rights" thing. They are minimal. Pretty much limited to not being abused or starved, and being clothed and educated. As Parents you have responsibilities and are responsible for their actions...period.

Being holier than thou, and expecting the general public to endure the babies screeches and the running around off the leash is way inappropriate and rude. Remember that when you take your family out and the table next to you is loud, and having "Adult" conversations on subjects that you don't want your kids hearing.

Just because you have become deaf to the screaming and running about, does not mean everyone else has. The excuse of "They're just kids" is just as weak as that of the mother of the teenager that got killed while committing an armed home invasion.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    I will take my kids wherever I please, and, kids being kids, will sometimes annoy others around us. If you want a peaceful quiet night, then dont go to a family restaurant. My kids are not to be seen and not heard, and have every right you do. If they are to unruly then that is for my Wife or I to deal with, as is it our decision when this line has been crossed. However, if someone were to try to make a scene being a tough guy, you would first probably just get a laugh out of me. It would be in their best interest not to approach us again. I consider my fighting days over, but I havent forgot how.
    Actually, the decision as to when the line has been crossed belongs to the proprietor of the establishment, not you or the other party.

Kids will be kids, and a certain amount of noise is natural and should be expected.

However, there are parents who are utterly oblivious to the behavior of their children and fail to do anything when it does cross the line. For example, I was in a restaurant the other day where this couple were allowing their children to throw things (sugar packets, napkins, etc) at one another - and beyond one another to other tables. When these two precious bundles of wonder grew bored with that, they were literally running around the restaurant screaming and hiding from one another under tables - tables occupied by other diners. When asked to control their children by a very polite fellow diner at the adjacent table, the mother told her children "now, stop that", and returned to her conversation. Thirty seconds later, the kids were right back to screaming and running about.

Finally, the manager came over and told her to either get control of her children or take them out of the restaurant. She got quite indignant and huffy, at which point the manager told her that there would be no charge for what they had already eaten and drunk, but that they were to take their children and leave. He got a round of applause from the adjacent tables.

While it is not the place of another patron to "quiet down" anyone else's children, there absolutely are standards for acceptable conduct in public for children even when the parents don't understand them. And sadly, there are a few parents out there than have no clue.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

the wife and i went out friday night and about halfway through dinner my 5 month old started to have a fit and scream his little head off , i couldn't help but laugh out loud because i thought of this thread, anywho i grabbed the kid and headed outside and told the wife" i'll take him out before i have to shot someone" she just gave me that look like i was speakin chineese, i just thought it was funny

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links