Man threatening to "help quiet down" a loud obnoxious toddler scenario

This is a discussion on Man threatening to "help quiet down" a loud obnoxious toddler scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvO1xt6Pms...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Man threatening to "help quiet down" a loud obnoxious toddler scenario

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    I had this exact thing happen too me a couple years ago. A middle aged couple came in and seated themselves in the booth next to My wife, three young sons, and myself. The resturaunt was nearly empty and my sons were being very quiet and respectful. The woman kept making snarky remarks about how children didnt belong in resturaunts and derogatory remarks about how people shouldnt have children if they expect the rest of the world to put up with them. The man finaly made a comment directly to my wife, "shut your litter of retards up". I said to the man "shut your joyless (foul language) of a wife up". My sons were being very good, I guess they took issue with the year old baby banging his spoon. He said another disrespectful comment to my wife and I asked him if he wanted to go outside and talk about this, he declined. He called my kids retards again, so I got up and dumped a plate of General Tso Chicken on his lap. He screamed some select words at me and they stormed out. The staff of the resturaunt was laughing loudly at this. I asked a waitress if I could have a mop and pail to clean the mess up, and she told me to sit down and enjoy my meal. My boys all got a scoop of ice cream on the house. I think this couple may have been regulars with a serious attitue problem...
    One half of me is saying "hell yeah"

Other half is saying you got lucky. Very lucky.

To the posters who expect parents to lock their kids in the basement..

How do you expect parents to teach their children how to act in public if we do not take them in public? I suppose we should isolate them until age 18 and then just release them on the public and hope for the best. Children are part of life and part of our civilization, if they are acting age appropriate... DEAL WITH IT. If it aint a black tie establishment, kids gotta eat too!
    And most of the ones complaining are loud themselves or on their damn cellphones.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    The guy is making an empty threat and has no intention of actually touching a child - nobody is that stupid.
    What planet are you living on?

I'd say with the way things are today it's 50-50 that it's a real threat.

Luckily my son even in infancy never had issues when we went out to eat. So I consider myself fortunate about that but we were ALWAYS prepared should our kiddo get loud we would leave. Its about the respect of others too. They are paying customer and want to enjoy their meal in peace. With that said say I was sitting there and all of a sudden he started crying or whatever and im going to take my child and leave and the person starts making loud comments or threatening or whatever that would change the situation sure.

What I cant stand is parents who arent phased when their child is going bananas and they act like its normal and other should just accept the behavior of their rowdy and obnoxious child. Is a child going to act up sometimes....well sure! I have seen the opposite happen where while dining a child is going nuts and someone will let out a loud sigh or say "shhhhh" and the parents flip out. Or like in a movie where parents take their babies/toddlers and their kid throws a fit and they dont do anything. My wife and I had to leave a theater once because of that. The management didnt do crap so I demanded a refund.

Family restaurant = children. Some children are exuberant.... And, while I was brought up as one of those children who "should be seen and not heard..." I don't think that way myself... I feel sorry for bitter "adults" who cannot abide the joy of a child who is expressing him/herself in the only way they can while they are in a public venue (specifically designed for families).

I do not however, condone screaming/ranting children disobeying their parents and doing so at ear splitting decibels, escalating their racket when the parents try to settle them down. But, I would never threaten the child... I would just observe the lack of parenting skills.

If I want a quiet meal guarantee I'll spend more money to get it in an upscale restaurant.

Choosing a restaurant that offers crayons to young patrons and colorable placemats, ain't it. Sitting next to "Playland" in a burger joint ain't there either.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Yup. "What you think is going to happen, isn't. Be smart and mind your own business."

Any aggressive move towards my son is met with a world of pain no human should have to endure. Ask the guy that grabbed my son's arm in the grocery store. He's in jail. Been there since he got out of the hospital the week before the trial. Still had my hand print bruises around his throat. Still don't know what was funnier, his lips turning blue or his eyes bugging out of his head as he realized he made a colossal failure of messing with the wrong father who is now pointing a gun barrel to his eyeball. Support hand went around his throat and pushed him backward while my weapon hand drew metal and pressed it into his eyeball. Darwin was a mere twitch of a finger away.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Moderator
    As a mother of a 21 month old this hits very close to home.

My husband and I are very considerate of other diners and if our son gets too noisy we are very quick to take him out for a quick break even if we have to take him out fifteen times.

However, that being said, I am a small female and if someone is approaching MY child after making such a statement I would have no hesitation of drawing my firearm and telling him to get away from us (and in not such a pretty vocabulary). No one lays a hand on my child. NO ONE! I would be easy enough to push out of the way and for all I know he's on his way to do me or my child or both of us serious harm.

Even the thought of someone touching my child in a harmful way makes me want to clench my teeth and pace the floor counting to 100. Any man stupid enough to come near my child with that kind of an attitude is going to KNOW he is messing with the WRONG mama bear when he finds himself staring down the business end of whatever firearm I'm armed with at the moment. Or, if a gun isn't available I'll readily take up a warrior stance with my Ti-Lite open in one hand and say, "Touch him and you lose your hand."

Lima,

Wouldn't you be better served cutting the tendons in his forearm than to try and saw through bone?

Sawing through, or hacking your way through, bone takes too long.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Lima,

Wouldn't you be better served cutting the tendons in his forearm than to try and saw through bone?

Sawing through, or hacking your way through, bone takes too long.

Biker
    LOL. It's an intimidation thing. Most likely the most I would get is one GOOD slash on the forearm but saying, "You'll lose your hand," sounds way scarier than "I'll cut some tendons."

WWLD?? (What Would Lima Do?).....I was wondering how long it would take for you to chime in.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Does someone who has made a verbal threat to "shut your kid up" and is moving aggressively toward your child present an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm that would justify drawing a firearm?
    As the scenario went, no.

If he's on his way over, I'd position myself between him and my nephew (not a daddy myself) and issue a stern warning. If he keeps coming, I'm going for a physical take down while everyone else in my party retreats and calls 911. Once they're gone if it becomes a fistfight I'll defend myself accordingly.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

if a gun isn't available I'll readily take up a warrior stance with my Ti-Lite open in one hand and say, "Touch him and you lose your hand."
    Actually, if you stood up and snapped open a Ti-Lite, words would be unnecessary. The sound it makes is quite impressive and it's a mean-looking blade. (It was the limatunes review of the Ti-Lite that convinced me to buy one for EDC, btw.)
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

threaten to do harm to my children or wife and you've just put yourself under my strict scrutiny, make any move towards my family to follow through on your threats, game on, you've just made the mistake of your life and will be dealt with accordingly.

I would continue to eat my meal..all my toddlers are armed including backup guns and blades.

Senior Moderator
    Life imitates DC:

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. - A Weston man faces battery charges after police say he assaulted the father of an Autistic child who was sitting next to him at the Olive Garden.

According to a police briefing, Paul Blankfield was dining at the Olive Garden when he began complaining about the noise coming from a child at a nearby table. Police say Blankfield then charged at the father of the child and punched him in the neck.

Blankfield told police he reacted this way because the noise had disturbed his dining experience. He was taken to the Palm Beach County Jail and faces one count of simple battery.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_...isy&#39;-child
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links