Almost Had A Problem Today

This is a discussion on Almost Had A Problem Today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tala Oh well I guess you don't want to park next to me. I promise what my truck has (age, it's 18 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost Had A Problem Today

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Oh well I guess you don't want to park next to me. I promise what my truck has (age, it's 18 hard years and 285k hard miles old) isn't contageous to your new mercedes, unless you keep it for 20 years that is.

BUT parking next to a questionable looking OCCUPIED car was probably a mistake.
    I treat our cars like anything else. My wife drives a Jag and she's a little better than me, but they're just cars...and on the lower half of the model line as well....I'm not driving a $180,000 SL63! I'll park in the closest spot available, I'll sit on the hood while I'm talking to someone and/or smoking, I drive them on the beach, etc. My point in saying that is I'll park next to any car without judging it, but this beater had a beater in the passenger seat and I probably should have kept my distance.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    I say you handled it well. But I would pay attention to your printing.You must have been showing pretty good for someone to spot it that easy.
    My shirt was completely up and behind the grip. I was carrying a Sig 229 SCT (18 round mag) in an outside the waistband holster. I usually carry a 1911 IWB, so this isn't much of an issue normally. Printing around here is not really an issue, but having the whole gun in plain sight is not the best definition of concealed! I guess when I was getting out of the car I fixed my shirt, but not as well as normal. I was wearing a button down shirt and the shirt tails were still where they were supposed to be, if that makes sense. Clearly my fault here!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    If you were really a BG what the guy did was dumb, lol. if you think someone is armed and robbing a place, would you just walk up tot hem shirtless and unarmed and escalate the situation? lol. If I thought a crime was in progress I would probably alert something, not go up to the armed man and say "scuse me Mr. are you going to shoot us?"
    My wife said that same thing as well. We were laughing about that part because if I was going to rob that place, he'd have been in real bad shape....so would I though for robbing a dollar store! I mean, he was pretty close to getting a face full of pepper spray and fists, I couldn't imagine what someone with no regard for other people or the law would have done.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

I'd probably ask, as nicely as possible, if they were aware of the 2A. And that it was a right just like the 1st A. And ask that they please be considerate of my rights as well. I'd remind them that it woudnt go off by itself. And then respond politely if they had any polite questions. Rudeness would be ignored as I went about my business quietly.

I am happy to discuss and educate people about owning/carrying a gun....but I wont bother with people that already have their minds made up and are rude.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

Printing around here is not really an issue, but having the whole gun in plain sight is not the best definition of concealed!

I thought Texas did not allow open carry? It always kind of surprised me because they generally are more gun friendly down there. When my brother moved down there 20 years ago I remember him saying your would sometimes see people open carrying in downtown Houston. Did that used to be allowed, and when did it change?

Sorry about that, I meant printing through my shirt, for example, and was kind of being sarcastic when I said a gun in plain sight isn't the best definition of concealed..

You know, when I was in Texas is the very early 90's (I was 11 or 12), I went with my Mother to help a friend of hers move there from PA. I saw one or two different guys open carrying, or I thought I did...maybe they were detectives or Rangers and and I didn't see the badge. I'm not sure if it was ever allowed, but maybe it was one of those where you could carry it unloaded like California? I'm not sure. I've been here 7 years and it's not been allowed since I got here.

As for printing, there's no law against it. i could where some crazy skin tight shirt if I wanted that pretty much outlined my gun and there's really nothing legally they could do. I'm sure the police would make a comment, but that would be the extent of it according to my officer friends.

Now, what happened with me was my gun was fully exposed when I got out of the car by mistake. I thought I fixed it before getting out, but I didn't do a very good job! Anyway, even that has no legal ramifications here as it was an accidental show and not brandishing (which is using the gun to intimidate). So, even though it's not illegal and I didn't do anything "wrong", it still caused an issue and a hiccup in my day. Heat index is about 110 here on average in the summer and I wear a t-shirt or light button down and pants or jeans. I won't carry a pocket gun or anything with a short barrel and below 9mm. I've never, in 9 years, had any issues or even been made that I know of. What gets me is that of all the places I go and all the things I do during the day, it's the last type of person in the last of places and side of town that I'd expect to say something about a gun.... and again, I hate using stereotypes or the idea of "judgement", but I was in a nice car, with my wife and daughter. We were all dressed very nicely and were laughing when we got out of the car. I noticed the guy looking at me, but I really don't think I looked like a "bad guy".....at least not the type of bad guy that would rob a dollar store!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

You could have just shown him your concealed carry badge.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    It was wrong for that bearded guy to confront you like that. If he did that to someone who has no regard for the law, he'd be a dead man. It was also wrong for him to still confront you even though you already told him that you have a permit to carry. Also, good on you for handling the situation with control and tactfulness. As for you exposing your weapon, don't dwell on it. Just learn from it and you'll do just fine. Again, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    It was wrong for that bearded guy to confront you like that. If he did that to someone who has no regard for the law, he'd be a dead man. It was also wrong for him to still confront you even though you already told him that you have a permit to carry. Also, good on you for handling the situation with control and tactfulness. As for you exposing your weapon, don't dwell on it. Just learn from it and you'll do just fine. Again, stay safe.

Inorite? If you *think* someone with a gun is dangerous, how smart is it to confront them?

If you are concerned about your family, quietly get them out of the store.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

9MMare, you been reading that urban dictionary again, huh?!

Thanks guys for all the comments. I made a stupid mistake that I'm sure I've made before, but really it's not something many in my city would consider a big deal. What if I was some pyscho? What if I WAS going to rob the place? I'm still shocked he did that and even more shocked about the attitude he had to begin with. I kind of regret not parking him a little more, but I know I did the right thing. My wife said when she heard me say it's none of your f'ing business, she started moving away a little quicker. She was shocked and happy that I calmed dow and showed some restraint and actually tried to educate the guy a little. Still would have been nice to smack him, but I know that's inappropriate behavior!

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    9MMare, you been reading that urban dictionary again, huh?!

Thanks guys for all the comments. I made a stupid mistake that I'm sure I've made before, but really it's not something many in my city would consider a big deal. What if I was some pyscho? What if I WAS going to rob the place? I'm still shocked he did that and even more shocked about the attitude he had to begin with. I kind of regret not parking him a little more, but I know I did the right thing. My wife said when she heard me say it's none of your f'ing business, she started moving away a little quicker. She was shocked and happy that I calmed dow and showed some restraint and actually tried to educate the guy a little. Still would have been nice to smack him, but I know that's inappropriate behavior!
    I think all of us have these types of situation, regarding lots of things in life. They teach us to recognize something so we can better handle it in the future. And that's why we benefit from the discussions here too.

As I said above, I think you handled it well.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Thank yo very much, I certainly agree.

I will walk a 'distance' to avoid parking next to a beater.
    I would have completely ignored the 'yahoo' and his comments...no need to respond to him.OMOYMV

This is no reflection on what you did, it was fine. I just don't have the time to deal with people like that, and my skin is pretty thick.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Everything inside told me to ignore it, but next thing I knew, I was walking towards him and made an assertive comment... I just wanted to park in the closest spot, but I never thought that would cause a problem bigger than a ding in the door. Lesson learned.

If I would have walked away, I wonder what would have happened? Would he have just left? Would he have come towards me aggressively? I'm never one to play back my actions after something like this. I was in a car-jacking/kidnapping that involved a gunshot and didn't rehash the other possibilities as much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links