The Supermarket - Page 4

The Supermarket

This is a discussion on The Supermarket within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooting someone in the back through the shoulder with a service caliber is going to stop the fight. I wouldn't be willing to bet the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Supermarket

Shooting someone in the back through the shoulder with a service caliber is going to stop the fight.
    I wouldn't be willing to bet the ranch on that.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I wouldn't be willing to bet the ranch on that.

Biker
    How about a small home garden? Would you be willing to bet a small home garden?

Just bustin your chops Biker. I'm with you! Shoot center mass and you're less likely to miss the target altogether!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Any justified and necessary back shot I'm looking for a spine hit.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Any justified and necessary back shot I'm looking for a spine hit.
    You know I'm really not disagreeing with COM shots. I was just thinking along the lines of shoot to stop the threat vs shoot to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You know I'm really not disagreeing with COM shots. I was just thinking along the lines of shoot to stop the threat vs shoot to kill.
    A shot to the spine is a superb fight stopper as it causes immediate paralysis and is frequently not a fatal injury.

btw... there are several major blood vessels in the area of the shoulder which would cause a person to bleed out in a matter of two or three minutes, so your wounding or "stopping" shot is just as likely to have a lethal effect as any other shot. All it takes is for the bullet itself, or a bone fragment from a shattered scapula to sever a subclavian artery or any of several others and they are toast in just a couple of minutes.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    A shot to the spine is a superb fight stopper as it causes immediate paralysis and is frequently not a fatal injury.

btw... there are several major blood vessels in the area of the shoulder which would cause a person to bleed out in a matter of two or three minutes, so your wounding or "stopping" shot is just as likely to have a lethal effect as any other shot. All it takes is for the bullet itself, or a bone fragment from a shattered scapula to sever a subclavian artery or any of several others and they are toast in just a couple of minutes.
    There lies the crux of the problem. You have at most, seconds.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    While I may target the spine with a justified back shot I will be shooting more than one shot. My goal is to take the BG out of the fight as soon as possible. If he should die from those hits he was the one who chose to start the whole affair
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Agreed. I see two primary factors in the number of shots. How fast I squeeze and how fast he falls. As long as he is verticle the threat remains, possibly even when horizontal.

++++++1 with First Sgt... again... if I am confronting the BG, the BG is not complying, I am shooting until there is NO more threat! I am NOT shooting to wound him or shooting him in the leg to slow him down...NOPE, I am shooting until the threat is gone! Period! IMO
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Call 911, try to get people out of the store. Engaging a person with a shotgun with a handgun is not my idea of fun or a something I would get involved in. to much self preservation in me.

I would think that your wife's response to your response would be a hazard to your self preservation, considering the jeopardy that her sister was in.

Shooting to wound is an interesting definition of shooting to "stop the threat." I know that if I am "wounded" in an altercation with a BG, and I still have the ability to be a threat... I will be. I would assume the same from the BG's perspective.

Stopping the threat, to me, means shooting to guarantee there is no threat... Unless the BG throws down his arms... he is still a potential threat. Even if I've shot him in the shoulder that controls the "primary weapon" (the shotgun slung on his strong side), that does not mean he won't spin (gee, did I cause that with my little 9mm?!) and draw, weak hand, another weapon; firing as he is turning ... endangering me and bystanders?

My training (limited as it is) has led me to believe that shooting to "stop the threat" means at least 2 COM, with followup to the head if possible... The threat is not stopped until he has no weapons to use on me or is totally unable to use them.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'm not trying to argue but why is it that we 'shoot to stop a threat" but don't "shoot to kill". Two COM shots followed by a head shot would more than likely be fatal. Is that not the standard that most allude too? Some seem to think that after 2+1 if the B.G. dies it's "oh well that's what happens". Let's tell it like it really is and that is, we shoot to kill. I've got no problem with that. I just thought that taking a relatively easy wounding type shot might be more appealing to some forum members.

I'm not trying to argue but why is it that we 'shoot to stop a threat" but don't "shoot to kill". Two COM shots followed by a head shot would more than likely be fatal. Is that not the standard that most allude too? Some seem to think that after 2+1 if the B.G. dies it's "oh well that's what happens". Let's tell it like it really is and that is, we shoot to kill. I've got no problem with that. I just thought that taking a relatively easy wounding type shot might be more appealing to some forum members.
    I understand what you are saying.

This is why I "shoot to stop the threat" instead of "shoot to kill"

"... I do"
    "please be seated"
    "Is it true, Mr. Oak, that when you engaged my client's husband and the father of their 4 children, You "shot to kill?""
    "No sir, that is not true"
    "Well then, Mr. Oak, How do you explain the two rounds that went through my client's husband's chest, mortally wounding him, and another round that went through his head?"
    "I shot to stop the threat, sir"
    "Wasn't the "threat" over when he started falling to the floor after the two shots?"
    "No, sir. He stilll had his weapon in his hand, and was coming towards me."
    "You mean falling to the floor, mortally wounded, don't you Mr. Oak?"
    "No sir, from my viewpoint, he was still coming toward me with his weapon in hand... I was in fear of my life, and I shot again, that is when he fell, sir. I fired until he was no longer a threat, and I was no longer in fear of my life."

Now obviously, this is a best case scenario from a civil suit following the action... But I was never taught to shoot to kill... I was taught to stop the threat... That's what I will try to do.

As to the testimony... If the lawyer suing me wants just yes or no answers.. that's what he'll get... but only if he asks questions based on the FACTS of the case...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It is a semantical word game brought about by our PC environment.
    With that said, it is prudent to CYA whenever possible.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links