Story from East TX, homeowner shoots JD burglars

This is a discussion on Story from East TX, homeowner shoots JD burglars within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read this story in the Longview News Journal. The link to the article is here . It happened this last Monday. Here are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story from East TX, homeowner shoots JD burglars

I just read this story in the Longview News Journal. The link to the article is here. It happened this last Monday.

Here are the basics: Four juveniles, 14, 15, 16, and 17 years old, snuck out of their folks' homes at night and broke and entered into a home on a Parade of Homes list. The time of break-in was 3:30 a.m.

The owner heard glass breaking, retrieved his firearm, and went downstairs. He saw "several people standing inside the room, and one of them appeared to be holding a weapon." The owner fired at the burglars, killing the 15yo and wounding the 14yo.

The classic (disgusting) quote in the news article?

"Anyone who knows my son or knows any of these children will tell you these are good kids...what [the home owner] did to their lives has changed them forever."

"GOOD" kids. I don't think so. And it makes me sick that she blames the home owner...

Quote Originally Posted by rmkwebdesign
    The classic (disgusting) quote in the news article?

"Anyone who knows my son or knows any of these children will tell you these are good kids...what [the home owner] did to their lives has changed them forever."

Maybe a good kid...who made a very bad choice.

Good _children_, which is what they are at those ages, don't do home invasions nor are they out on the streets at 3 in the morning.
    Good parents don't have children who think muchless do as much either.

More like what those children did to the homeowner will change his and their lives forever.
    It's funny how often the victim is further victimized by the parents of criminals.
    Way to go mom & dad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    Good _children_, which is what they are at those ages, don't do home invasions nor are they out on the streets at 3 in the morning.- Janq
    ^AGREED.

"Good kids who made a bad choice..." Nope.

Assistant Administrator
    Seems like this statement is near predictable in such cases ........ ''but he/they were such good kids''.

Crummy parents who in fact rarely know or care what their offspring get up to - as long as they are not making demands on them, then label the kids as something near perfect.

In fact I have a feeling there are plenty of cases where even a poor parent says this entirely for effect when knowing full well the reverse is true - just to make sure the kids get martyred and the victim becomes the fall guy.

Even worse is the way the media leaps all over these things and hypes them up, instead of being balanced and pointing out the sins of the perpetrators.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Seems like this statement is near predictable in such cases ........ ''but he/they were such good kids''.

Crummy parents who in fact rarely know or care what their offspring get up to - as long as they are not making demands on them, then label the kids as something near perfect.
    It's called denial they can do no wrong and neither can their kids
    In fact I have a feeling there are plenty of cases where even a poor parent says this entirely for effect when knowing full well the reverse is true - just to make sure the kids get martyred and the victim becomes the fall guy.
    the schools are full of them you know the ones that are kicked out of school for violence, drugs, booz, but it is the schools fault yah right.
    Even worse is the way the media leaps all over these things and hypes them up, instead of being balanced and pointing out the sins of the perpetrators.
    Yep bad news sells and it is politically correct to blame someone defending their self rather than pointing their finger at the actual cause, Mom N Dad doing their thing and ignoring the kids as an inconvience.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    BULL COOKIES!

Good kids aren't standing in a strangers living room uninvited at 3AM!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    The homeowner in question might know the kids and agree with the parents, but a 3:30 am, after the glass breaks, in the dark he does not know who nor what they are. One makes a move with what appears to be a weapon. The homeowner does not have time to take roll, nor ask for id. He makes a split second decision based on the information on hand a the time.

It's easy for the DA the next day to talk about what should have happened. He wasn't there! One of the things I learned as an officer in the Army is that you NEVER, EVER try to second guess the man on the scene (the military version says the commander on the ground). There are lots of military and civilians who never learn that. We have nicknames for those people and they are all derogatory. Names like "Monday morning quarterback". People who don't have to take the risk and make the decision can always tell you what you should have done or what they would have done. But the fact is they were not there and therefore they neither know what should have been done, nor do they really know what they would have done. In the situation with the fear and adrenaline pumping things are done that are not even remembered much less thought out.

As for the parents, they should be the ones catching all the flack from the press. They keep telling everyone what good kids their children are. There's an old saying the sums up my response to that: Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear what you are saying.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Interesting

Parents who's 14 year old kids are out unsupervised, and breaking into other people's houses at 3am lose a little credability in my book. So the such good kids statements really don't carry much weight.
    There are only 2 people I trust in this world and you ain't one of'em!

Quote Originally Posted by rmkwebdesign

"Good kids who made a bad choice..." Nope.

Which is why I lead off with "MAYBE"

Geeez

Quote Originally Posted by TCB in TN
    Parents who's 14 year old kids are out unsupervised, and breaking into other people's houses at 3am lose a little credability in my book. So the such good kids statements really don't carry much weight.
    I totally agree with you!

These kids sound like natural candidates for the Darwin Awards if you ask me...why would anyone be stupid enough to break into a house in Texas?!

If you ask me the State of Texas owes this homeowner some money...after all he's just cleared the streets of a lot of garbage!

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Anyone who knows my son or knows any of these children will tell you these are good kids...
    They say that right after their kid has killed someone too. Must have to do with inbreeding or something.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Imagine how the shooting has changed the homeowners life forever!

Think of the inumerable nights awake going over the incident in your head repeatedly....

Those kids made a bad choice and now many peoples lives on both sides will be forever altered because of it....

May God help me to be the best parent I can be....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Bad parents. Negligent parents. Result: Ill-bred JD's that have no chance, no morals, and no hope of ever having any. At that age, there's no further opportunities with parents like that failing to lead.

No one is ever guilty anyway. Bad parents always deny their children's deeds and their lack of morals.

Unfortunate, but limiting guns will not fix the above problems. Limiting child-bearing might, but the world will always have its share of idiots.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

This sounds very familiar to these 7 guys from Miami who got caught plotting an Islamic "Jihad" on the US. The sister of one said something to the effect "he wasn't no Muslim, he was a good Catholic. He couldn't have done anything!" It's always somebody else's fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links