Went code orange last night.... - Page 2

Went code orange last night....

This is a discussion on Went code orange last night.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I felt the need to stick around, it would have been inside my car with it running. Not sure I would have hung around ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went code orange last night....

If I felt the need to stick around, it would have been inside my car with it running. Not sure I would have hung around outside the store. But that's me. Other than that, good SA on your part.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Did you think about looking him directly in the face and speaking to him? Just a good look and a firm "How ya doin".

I don't think I would have gone to the ATM.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I'm like 53 years old,do you think asking him for what rap CD is the most dope for my money is
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What is a tactical retreat?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I would not have gone to the ATM with a guy like that hanging around!!!
    good point, you don't want to become HIS atm
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the atm confuses me...if you went to thew atm to check your balance you needed to load your card and enter your pin...making yourself a very viable target for a cash withdrawl and bullet in the back...

great eye i guess for stereotyping and profiling a badguy in what could be considered typical urban dress today...somewhere theres a punk kid writing a thread on a forum talking about how he went out for a donut last night and some guy dogged him around the store and tried to use a trash can for cover in case he whipped out his gat and started shooting the place up...

i'm being an asss...i know...i guess its just that every time someone goes into one of these scenarios where nothing happened at all and there really is no reason to believe anything was going to happen other than our own prejudices it makes me wonder whether we have our head screwed on straight or we are looking for problems where they dont exist...and then we present it to others looking for justification for our actions...

and i agree with the post about looking him in the eye and saying something...like whats up?...how ya doing?...get a little social...the guy might turn out to be someone you get a long with....probably had him buggin over your actions....

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    What is a tactical retreat?
    i think its what many of us would call walking away...but in top secret ccw speak...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i think its what many of us would call walking away...but in top secret ccw speak...
    Gotcha

Anyway, to the OP...the ATM move was not the best option. The best option would be to leave...you had the opportunity to leave and you decided to hang out to see what would happen next...poor decision. If you want to play good witness, you could have done that from your car: 1--it allows you to escape; 2--stop bullets a little better than a trash can (actually used for concealment); 3--doesn't put you in the line of fire.

To me it sounds like you were a little braver since you were carrying...which is not a good idea. If you were not carrying, would you do the same thing? If your answer is yes....well, Murphy's law says: Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; August 4th, 2010 at 05:29 AM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

i'm being an asss...i know...i guess its just that every time someone goes into one of these scenarios where nothing happened at all and there really is no reason to believe anything was going to happen other than our own prejudices it makes me wonder whether we have our head screwed on straight or we are looking for problems where they dont exist...and then we present it to others looking for justification for our actions...
    Oh prejudice is a live and well, I wonder how many times I've set off someone's SA...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

One of the most common memes I hear form antis is that people that carry a concealed hand gun are just waiting to for an excuse to shoot somebody. Unfortunately, when I read some of these “A Homeless man looked at me cross-eyed from the other side of the street would I have been justified to blow a hole in his skull?” threads I’m left w/out answer.

I don’t understand the mindset I really don’t. I carry a handgun to defend myself and my family when all other options have failed. All other options includes running away.

If I were that freaked out I wouldn’t have stayed in the store. Screw a “tactical retreat” my strategy is to get home alive and not have to fill out reams of paperwork w/the police and I’m going to choose tactics that support that IE if at all possible I’m going to get out of the situation. I don’t really need 44 ounces of carbonated water and high fructose corn syrup that badly. I would have put my purchases down and walked out. If things were that squirrelly I would have called the police or dialed 911 from the payphone and let it ring on the way out [/RANT]

I agree with Treo here...

I just don't do tactical retreats... I might run like heck... but I don't think of it, or anything I do as tactical.

You might want to read the Gift of Fear. In it there's a scene very similar to yours... Guy starts to walk into conveneience store "spidey senses" tingle... turns around walks out. Cop walks into convenience store seconds later and gets killed... The first guy wasn't armed, but even if he were, why would one hang out in "Code Orange".

And, if you were "code orange" over this guy with the sunglasses... why would you ever allow him into line behind you... Unless you're "the karate kid" a bear hug from behind probably puts you out of commission... while sunglasses' buddy comes in now and holds up the store.

With a personal permit to carry I am not a LEO.. I am not a friend of the court... I am a man prepared to defend himself from physical harm or death.

If I'm in a store while it's being robbed, then things MIGHT be different... but if I have the opportunity to leave before it might get robbed... I am exiting stage left.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

One of the most common memes I hear form antis is that people that carry a concealed hand gun are just waiting to for an excuse to shoot somebody. Unfortunately, when I read some of these “A Homeless man looked at me cross-eyed from the other side of the street would I have been justified to blow a hole in his skull?” threads I’m left w/out answer.

I don’t understand the mindset I really don’t. I carry a handgun to defend myself and my family when all other options have failed. All other options includes running away.

If I were that freaked out I wouldn’t have stayed in the store. Screw a “tactical retreat”
    Agreed, and with regard to tactics there is absolutely nothing about some 89 cent Big Gulp in a late night "Stop n Rob" that would entice me into the place at 10:30PM.

VIP Member
    Despite the enormous risk you took, you did what intuitively came to mind as a caring person. I can say without hesitation that I would never advocate getting involved in a potential ‘save the day’ scenario, though I do understand what compelled your actions. In fact, as a former LEO I may have done something similar.

What some folks may not realize, is that time moves quickly during this type of scenario, so taking photos or even calling 911 while you enjoy your taco, isn’t always as practical as it seems. I mean, it isn’t easy to articulate the circumstances to a brain-dead dispatcher while things are occurring in real-time.

Had you decided to completely disengage (best move) and let it be, the suspect as described, may well have committed a grievous act. Your visual presents may have thwarted an incident but not without potential consequences.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Agreed, and with regard to tactics there is absolutely nothing about some 89 cent Big Gulp in a late night "Stop n Rob" that would entice me into the place at 10:30PM.
    The one thing I've never been able to understand is: Why anyone would go to a "Stop-n-Rob" (at night) when they don't have to?

I think the OP did the right thing when he changed direction. But, the ATM was the wrong move.

I agree with turning toward the suspect and acknowledging his presence. A simple comment like "What's up?"; "How's it goin'?;" Then follow it up with "cool glasses"; will let the guy know you've taken a mental note of "Who" he is and "What" he looks like.

These kinds of remarks will come across as NON-threatening to "innocent" civilians. But, they will send up a "red flag" to a BG that may be thinking about robbing someone. Perhaps more importantly, it sends the message: "I'm not afraid of you!" (BG's want a target that they can control.)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Sounds like good SA, but one part I wouldn't have done. Approaching the ATM to check your balance. If he did have bad intentions, he would assume you were gettin' cash.

Stay aware and stay safe.
    The way I read the OP the ATM was inside the store, so he wasn't exposing himself to anymore risk than already being in the store with the suspicious guy. By going to the ATM he gave the other guy a chance to check out and leave before the poster had to go to the counter and show how much cash he had in his wallet. I would pretend to check my account, without entering my pin number that way if the other guy did approach me at the ATM I can reach for my steel wallet that I keep my hollowpoints in!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links