Went code orange last night....

This is a discussion on Went code orange last night.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tcox4freedom The one thing I've never been able to understand is: Why anyone would go to a "Stop-n-Rob" (at night) when they ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went code orange last night....

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    The one thing I've never been able to understand is: Why anyone would go to a "Stop-n-Rob" (at night) when they don't have to?

[/I]
    because they can...not an issue...people go in and out of the places all night long...thats why they exist...but when we choose to do things that others may not consider normal we should expect the abnormal...the crowd that hangs at night tends to differ from the day crowd...thats not to say theyre less friendly or more prone to violence...thats to say that they are different in many respects...expect it and enjoy it...its not the jungle everyone makes it out to be....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Take a cellphone shot of him and then leave. If the behavior is that suspicious, dial 911. Don't hang around.
    I approached a car once and took down it's license plate after the owner shoplifted from an electronics store I used to work at. Bad idea...

The guy got out with 2 other friends and chased me back into the store. Only reason they didn't follow me in was because he still had the DVD's in his hand ... I think.

I'd just do the 'don't hang around' part, 911 and pronto.

What was done worked out well tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    The one thing I've never been able to understand is: Why anyone would go to a "Stop-n-Rob" (at night) when they don't have to?
    Why would anyone leave their home, ever? It's a dangerous world out there.... Groceries, meds, food can all be delivered. Or to be completely safe, live entirely off the grid. Rely on no one.

Well, my particular psyche wouldn't fare well in that scene... So, I choose to live in the world at large and participate in it. If the world offers me late night drive thru windows, 24 hour convenience stores, ATMs on lonely stretches of road... I'll partake if the desire arises.

But, if something seems hinky... Well, I just choose not to participate... Unless I am drawn in against my will.

If I am drawn in against my will, then I will participate on my behalf. On the behalf of others if expedient and not further risking myself.

But my primary concern is myself, and my loved ones if they are with me. All else is secondary.

We have to assume that we are the only good guys armed in any given scenario... Unless we know different, the best hope for every innocent involved is our survival... Make the wrong move, you won't even die a hero... You and all the other innocents are just dead, perhaps some of them shot with YOUR weapon.

This does not stop me from calling 911 from a secure position, this does not stop me from being a good citizen. But, until I am INVOLVED in the midst of the scenario, I am not participating in it from within.

Make no mistake, I do not want to see innocents die. If I can prevent it I will. The best chance of this may be handled from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I refuse to be a captive of the clock if I want to run out and get a burrito or such.
    I agree, and while you may be different because of your LE training, I just won't participate if I feel like something's wrong from the start...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    so what if we want to go to Taco Hell at 2am?
    The "so what" will eventually become apparent to you if you keep reading accounts of violent crime in your city. Seems to me that a very consistent thread that runs through many incidents is that the victim went out for fast food or something from a convenience store early in the morning, between midnight and 2 am. It's prime time for random hold-ups.

If you CCW, that's the time to really have your SA amped up.

In this case, I also give a thumbs-down to the ATM move, but give a thumbs-up to getting the guy off your six. I'd just go back into another aisle and pretend to shop, keeping a careful eye on things.

A very difficult decision here is whether to exit the store before or after the guy. If he's decided that you're on the menu tonight, it would be better to leave first and get out of there. If he leaves first, he gets to set up and wait for you. On the other hand, if he's going to take the store down, and he's behind you at the register, he can draw and get the drop on you and the clerk. Hard call to make.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The only thing I can see wrong is that a trash can is not cover.
    It could be. Around here, a lot of trash cans at convenience stores are encased in concrete so people can't steal or destroy them easily. I don't know if that's the case in this situation, though.

If he was indeed up to no good, going to the ATM was a mistake. Good thing you didn't pull out any money or he may have followed you out the door. You know, to make sure you got home safely.
    Last edited by gruntingfrog; August 3rd, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Oakchas
    Quote:
    "I agree, and while you may be different because of your LE training, I just won't participate if I feel like something's wrong from the start... "

A little clarification/explaination. I acquired a taste for good green chili burritos in the middle of the night from working earlies in an area where they were readily available. They are available only in certain areas. This urge usually arises late, while visiting a good friend in the big city. While hungry, I/we are not stupid. When two "high and tight gabachos" with outside shirts are ordering burritos at that hour, with one ordering and the other watching from outside the line, it is pretty obvious who they are. We have never had any problems

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Why would anyone leave their home, ever? It's a dangerous world out there.... Groceries, meds, food can all be delivered. Or to be completely safe, live entirely off the grid. Rely on no one.

Well, my particular psyche wouldn't fare well in that scene... So, I choose to live in the world at large and participate in it. If the world offers me late night drive thru windows, 24 hour convenience stores, ATMs on lonely stretches of road... I'll partake if the desire arises.
    One can certainly follow a prudent program of safety and self defense without becoming house bound and paranoid. For a few examples I avoid icy roads and dangerous intersections if other routes are possible, I maintain my home so that it doesn't present an easy target for burglers and vandals and I avoid known late night crime magnets. The good lord gave us brains to use and IMO there is a reason for using them, especially for those of us who have taken on the responsibility of carrying firearms for self defense.

OP points out some good things to watch for.

I'm 5'10" and tend to walk very decisively and have a 'dont mess with me' attitude. I will meet people's eyes if they get in my space. I think I often miss signs of being targeted....and then later reexamine situations and recognize the signs....it would have been too late if they hadnt changed their minds that I was a risky target.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I refuse to be a captive of the clock if I want to run out and get a burrito or such.

I agree. I dont want to let fear run my life OR the lowest part of society run my life either. If a situation calls for more prudence, I try to be more prudent.

*A ship is safe in the harbor....but that is not what ships are made for*
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    I have a question:
    When you were outside looking in, if he drew a weapon and aimed it at the clerk, what was your next move?
    I was thinking the same thing I would have been in and out real quick.. I'm not hanging around to see what happens
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

1. Originally Posted by Guantes

I’m not the type to make burrito runs in the middle of the night. I might stop for Wendy’s on the way home from a swing shift but I doubt I’d go to the hassle of making a special trip for it.

Using Houston for an example if I was going to go out for a burger in the wee hours I wouldn’t go to Telephone Road to get it. I don’t think the risk is worth the return.
    I
    Last edited by Treo; August 3rd, 2010 at 08:36 PM.

If I ate Taco Bell at 10:30 pm I would be Code brown the next day.

I suspect that you will do what you think is right for you, as will I.

I suspect that you will do what you think is right for you, as will I.
    My apologies my post didn't come out quite the way i wanted it to

No problem.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links