Went code orange last night.... - Page 4

Went code orange last night....

This is a discussion on Went code orange last night.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP still didn't answer. If while waiting outside, the subject drew a weapon and pointed it at the cashier, what would you have done? As ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went code orange last night....

OP still didn't answer.

If while waiting outside, the subject drew a weapon and pointed it at the cashier, what would you have done?

As far as the rest of the posts, there sure are a lot of posters whose only thought is saving their own skin, while leaving others to fend for themselves in the shark tank. I think that's real messed up. I'm not necessarily going to sacrifice myself for a stranger, but I'm certainly not going to abandon them if there's an option. Being a good witness, so the police can draw a good chalk line, well, that's definitely not me. If I see a potential threat, I'd assume a position that would prevent the threat from getting my six, and strike up a conversation with the cashier, and I'd be there until the threat was gone, or the threat engaged. I couldn't leave someone alone to get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    OP still didn't answer.

If while waiting outside, the subject drew a weapon and pointed it at the cashier, what would you have done?

As far as the rest of the posts, there sure are a lot of posters whose only thought is saving their own skin, while leaving others to fend for themselves in the shark tank. I think that's real messed up. I'm not necessarily going to sacrifice myself for a stranger, but I'm certainly not going to abandon them if there's an option. Being a good witness, so the police can draw a good chalk line, well, that's definitely not me. If I see a potential threat, I'd assume a position that would prevent the threat from getting my six, and strike up a conversation with the cashier, and I'd be there until the threat was gone, or the threat engaged. I couldn't leave someone alone to get shot.
    IOW you'd go out of your way to involve yourself in a potential gunfight.

What if the potential bad guy decides not to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    The one thing I've never been able to understand is: Why anyone would go to a "Stop-n-Rob" (at night) when they don't have to?
    Well, for me I work late. I get off work between midnight and 2 am depending on how much work I have. Sometimes I plan ahead and get gas during the day. Sometimes I have to make extra trips back to the terminal and need to stop and get gas if I want to get home. Or I have to stop and fuel a truck at night. Try truck stops at 4 am to get your senses working overload. Or maybe I just want a drink or a snack.

There is a store that is walking distance from my warehouse. I would not go there unless my life depended on it, in the daytime. But the one I drive too is interesting too. If physical appearance and dress are signs, then 95% of the folks I see would be threats. I just keep my head up and pay attention. And I try not to treat anyone like I think they are a threat. That just might set somebody off.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Would I go out of my way to involve myself in a gunfight? If I saw someone being victimized and I thought I could help, absolutely.
    What if the potential bad guy decides not to leave? In the context of my interaction with the clerk, I'll tell him why I'm staying, and suggest the prudence in calling 911. I expect one way or another, in 10 minutes or so, the situation will have been resolved. Either the "bad guy" leaves, he draws, and there's a fight, or 911 arrives and settles the issue.
    But if I think the clerk is going to get a gun in his face, I absolutely am not leaving.
    If you left and observed, and saw the clerk get shot dead, would you be okay with your actions? Would you be satisfied you were a good witness?

If you left and observed, and saw the clerk get shot dead, would you be okay with your actions? Would you be satisfied you were a good witness?
    You're not going like my answer, not even a little bit

LOL. Your answer, whatever it is, is okay with me. I don't expect we're supposed to be the same. Okay, I'll bite. What's your answer?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    good point, you don't want to become HIS atm
    Oh, so very true

LOL. Your answer, whatever it is, is okay with me. I don't expect we're supposed to be the same. Okay, I'll bite. What's your answer?
    I would have thought that it would be obvious. I recognize absolutely no societal or moral obligaition to come to the aid of anyone out side of my family. I would have walked out that door and gone home and not thought twice about it. I may have called 911 if I thought things were going bad but it wouldn't have been from any phone traceable to me and I wouldn't have been there when the cops showed up.

But if I think the clerk is going to get a gun in his face, I absolutely am not leaving.
    While defending the defenseless may be the moral high ground. In NC it's unfortunately a very unfriendly legal minefield. And that would play into what I would do. There is one store I can think of where I might stick around. But I have been going there since I was a kid. So there is a bit of a relationship with the owner and family. Or if I could justify that my life was in danger and the clerk is just protected by my action by default. But sticking around just to be sure. I don't think I would do that. I'm not playing security or LEO. And around here, the clerk may be shooting back. So leaving may be safer for me too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    if i ate taco bell at 10:30 pm i would be code brown the next day.
    lolololol
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Would I go out of my way to involve myself in a gunfight? If I saw someone being victimized and I thought I could help, absolutely.
    What if the potential bad guy decides not to leave? In the context of my interaction with the clerk, I'll tell him why I'm staying, and suggest the prudence in calling 911. I expect one way or another, in 10 minutes or so, the situation will have been resolved. Either the "bad guy" leaves, he draws, and there's a fight, or 911 arrives and settles the issue.
    Yep...because in the end, I have to do what is best for my family. Why? Because if the company that the clerk works for KNOWS how dangerous it is for their workers, but do not put any effort into protecting them, what do you think the company is going to do for my family if I'm shot/killed/arrested/sued for defending their employee...and I am unable to provide for my family? Or who is going to provide for the expenses of a criminal or civil attorney, besides me? No one else.

While I understand your sentiment of defending those who can't/won't defend themselves, as a member of a group who carries a firearm for personal protection, it isn't my job or responsibility to sacrifice myself or my family (and their well-being)...That is something to think about BEFORE you jump into a problem. Being a good witness, while not proactive, is an appropriate response.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

What if the potential bad guy decides not to leave?
    and if the BG is there to sell he clerk drugs and they are waiting for you to leave and they BOTH turn on you? you just involved yourself for no good at all
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

The area I live and work in is pretty nice, so it's normal to run out for a pack of cigarettes right before they close at midnight and see your Doctor there as well. But, I'm not always in my neighborhood and if need be, I'll stop and grab cigarettes or gas late at night, wherever I may be as long as it's not TOO bad of an area. Now, at the gas station/store around here, I'm very friendly with the people that worth there, we talk about our kids, etc. If I thought something was going wrong, I'd have a very hard time leaving... This is a tough situation.

Now, a similar situation I was in - I was at one of the gun shops here that's connected to a jewelry store and also a pawn shop... It's a high end jewelry shop (they own as well) and all new guns with probably 50 ARs, high end 1911's, etc., then this out of place pawn shop. A while back there was a robbery and some shots fired.

So, a few months ago, I stopped in on my daily "rounds" and hung out for a few. They were talking about these four gang-banger types that had been in trying to buy a couple AKs. the one guy brought his girlfriend and was pointing out which guns for her to buy. They wouldn't sell the guns to them since it was obviously not for her. The guy calls while I'm there talking all kinds of crap about how they were stereotyping him, etc. They told him if he wanted the guns to come and buy them himself. He said he was on his way. A few moments before they walked in, the guys were talking about it. The two owners were armed and not sure about the third guy. One called a LE buddy to come by. Here come the four guys through the door. I thought that it would be a good time for me to say goodbye and see them tomorrow, but I couldn't. I went towards the door and just kind of hung out near it. There was something that wasn't letting me leave. These guys are really good to me and awesome to my daughter the couple times I've stopped in with her.

While they were there, they were OBVIOUSLY making drug deals on the phone. One handed another the phone when it rang, asked what they needed and told them how much and they'd be by in a bit. Then, one called another guy that wasn't there and told him to take a 50 to so and so. Anyway, they had words, he filled out the forms and got denied. He complained a bit and was asked to leave. He looked around a bit like he was debating continuing the argument or giving up and leaving. They finally left. The whole thing was probably 15 minutes. the cop got there about 15 minutes after that, I think.

Right or wrong, once you commit to something, stay with it. In the middle of it is no time to second guess yourself.

But hey, if I walk up to the door of a convenience store and I get a bad feeling, I'll move on to the next one. If I'm already inside and some 19-tear-old is working to help with school, I don't think I'll leave her on her own if something is looking bad. But, luckily here, there's other people that think that way too and some of the older men around here will hang out a night while some of the younger people are working.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    and if the BG is there to sell he clerk drugs and they are waiting for you to leave and they BOTH turn on you? you just involved yourself for no good at all
    Wow, what a thought, this could very well explain the whole situation, yet it took three pages of post to get to it. This is exactly why some of the more thoughtful posters here say it's not a good idea to take action on a situation without knowing all the details. In essence, "the devils in the details".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Take a cellphone shot of him and then leave. If the behavior is that suspicious, dial 911. Don't hang around.
    I guess I disagree. I understand the importance of avoidance, but not at someone else's expense. The OP could've simply "Got Outta Dodge" and left the clerks to their own devices (not much, more than likely). He would've been in the right to do so, and many a DA would have told him he was doing the right thing. "Not his job" and all that. I am not at all under the illusion that I am an LEO, but I am a firm believer that we have to take care of each other.

Kudos to the OP for sticking around and paying attention to a potentially bad situation.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links