Went code orange last night....

This is a discussion on Went code orange last night.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, about roughly 1030 last night, I get a hankering for some taco bell and an 89 cent big gulp from the Holiday right next ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went code orange last night....

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

Went code orange last night....

So, about roughly 1030 last night, I get a hankering for some taco bell and an 89 cent big gulp from the Holiday right next to it. As I walk in, a rather shady character approaches from the opposite end of the parking lot, wearing the stereotypical pants that you fit a lunchbox in the crotch, white T shirt, du rag, and sunglasses. At 1030 at night. He comes in right behind me. Im filling up my drink. He's milling around the store almost aimlessly with his sunglasses still on. grabs a donut and soda drink and is right back on my six as I approach the counter. I immediately tactically retreat to the atm to check my balance, even though I dont have to, but he does the same thing to the candy aisle. I also notice the clerks getting a little edgy as they witness this.

I go back to the counter after approximately 1 minute, and the potential BG is already there, though he lets me go first as I would be the next to exit leaving him alone in the store with clerks. I fork over my dollar, exit the store and go stage left to use a garbage can as cover as I observe what is happening inside. The interaction at the counter takes much longer than expected for the amount of goods he has picked out as he is digging around his pants, nearly doubled over and checking his surroundings at the same time. One of those moments came over me that seemed like an hour as I quickly thought it threw if the S indeed HTF.

I cant just enter back into the store, as that would be foolish not just from a legal standpoint but also tactically. With two other folks at the pumps, that would be prime for him to hijack and escape, the possibility of a further threat is definately present. If and when he exits with the money, he'll moving fast and frantically looking for anyone who would threaten his success(me). He'll most likely go back the way came which means he'll have his back to me. So no justifiable shot could be made if he opts for that route.

After crunching the numbers, I decided on the good witness route.

I break from the garbage can and make my presence known. He payed for his stuff and exited without incident. That couldve been the case all along that he just wanted a donut, but his behavior had "Wolf" written all over it.

And now for your criticism.....

2. Remove Ads

Why should someone criticize your actions...good SA...you took the nano-seconds needed to think...

Hey, you could have done something stupid and didn't...good on ya'...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Since you asked........

I would think "hanging" around after the sale put you at more risk......if you were concerned for the clerk's safety, then dial 911 and report suspicious character.

You mentioned the correct observation that if he ran past, you would be shooting him in the back.....BUT, why would you be thinking of doing that?.....you should only shoot if in fear for your life or others' lives, not stopping a robber or even shooter After The Fact. Just being Devils Advocate here, kinda things that lawyers or DAs could get in your face about.

Also----Quick Trip at 10:30 for a DRINK??.....I don't know the crime in your area, but could be another point.

Thanks for sharing! Be safe buddy.

Take a cellphone shot of him and then leave. If the behavior is that suspicious, dial 911. Don't hang around.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

It sounds to me like you did fine. Good SA, kept him off your six, got a good look at him and did the witness role. You were out of his suspected exit route, if he turned and became a threat deal with it.

I refuse to be a captive of the clock if I want to run out and get a burrito or such.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I refuse to be a captive of the clock if I want to run out and get a burrito or such.
    Me too. I used to work overnight and my husband still does, so what if we want to go to Taco Hell at 2am?

I would not have gone to the ATM with a guy like that hanging around!!!
    I would not have stuck around either. They got cameras to catch his picture. If I get out safe, that's all that matters to me, the rest of the world can stick up for themselves.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Me too. I used to work overnight and my husband still does, so what if we want to go to Taco Hell at 2am?
    Working years and years of earlies will do that to you.

Sounds like good SA, but one part I wouldn't have done. Approaching the ATM to check your balance. If he did have bad intentions, he would assume you were gettin' cash.

Stay aware and stay safe.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hang on, I'll think of something else. Well, maybe hanging around too long and the ATM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Don't do stupid things at stupid times (going to an ATM late into the night) you already knew you needed cash, go get it when the sun is shinning. My Gun course training says "Don't Do Stupid things with Stupid people at Stupid Times") That is don't go out late at night to places you have no business at. Things during the day are a lot safer. Then you do not have to engage GUNS into the FRAY!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Per the Op he didn't need cash, it was a diversion of direction.

When I read Taco Bell, I thought this was a story about a late night emergency run to get some Tums.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have a question:
    When you were outside looking in, if he drew a weapon and aimed it at the clerk, what was your next move?

I've been in a few situations like that. Having to pump gas late at night, etc. If I go into code orange, my hand is on my weapon or very near it.

Administrator
    The only thing I can see wrong is that a trash can is not cover.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links