Is that car coming at me!?

This is a discussion on Is that car coming at me!? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I am a young person and I have had my permit for about 3 months. I work security on a large property open ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all,

I am a young person and I have had my permit for about 3 months. I work security on a large property open to the public that regularly attracts a rough crowd.. In the past I have had encounters with people from work in my off time but nothing that turned ugly. I carry my weapon on my right side and never leave home without it.

Anyways, Last Saturday night I arrived home from work around 2 am. I live in a large apartment complex. In the back of the complex there is a secluded area with carports that its shaped like an upside down L where I park my vehicle. After I exited I began walking down the center of the alley as I do ever night checking my surroundings as I headed to my apartment. As I was doing so a vehicle flew around the corner with its lights off and was coming at me head on. I was able to get off to the side and began drawing my weapon. When the driver was able to stop the vehicle it was along my left side. It was then I saw the two most innocent ladies inside who smiled and waived and slowly continued to the road. I don't believe that they saw my gun coming out of the holster.

My question is if you were I would have done less, more, or what?

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    It sounds to me like you did the right thing. (You may want to begin carrying a good flashlight.)

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Cant blame ya, I'd go hot right away too. Good move on confirm the targets. Even if they saw you draw, freaked out, and called the local PD, you could easily argue your way out.
    Keep it up.

A suspicious car @ 2am, lights off, in an alley makes my spidey senses tingle. I'd be ready to go hot as well. You did right verifying their intent while being prepared.

A small LED flashlight is inexpensive and can put a lot of light on the subject.

Any cover close by ?

Thanks guys for the replies. As far as cover there was a wood phone pole and car in its carport.

Just curious, why draw instead of putting distance between yourself and the threat? A shot into a car won't slow it down and still has momentum enough to be a threat even unmanned. If it had be a drive by shooting you would still have been at greater risk than if you had ducked behind cover.

Just some Monday morning quarterbacking on Monday night.

Draw? Probably not, but definitely put cover between you and the car...disappear into the shadows.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Draw? Probably not, but definitely put cover between you and the car...disappear into the shadows.
    What he said.^^^^^

I would have gotten out of the way first. although a car with no headlights in a alley speeding towards me would send me from yellow to red pretty fast as well...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Flashlight...a must-have, especially if working at night...or if you work in a place without windows.

As far as drawing....what was your next move? Bullets won't stop the car. You need to find an avenue of escape...duck into a building, jump over a ditch....find some sort of barrier between you and the car...even if it's another car. Get mass and distance between you and the car.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.

In all seriousness though you should definitely get a good flashlight, even if it's just a pocket-sized one. I can definitely see how a car driving towards you with no headlights at night would have freaked you out. I probably would have gotten the heck out of the way an gone hand-on-gun at least, though I can't say for certain I would have drawn.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Considering the car was already flying coming around the corner, it's not likely they were looking for you or anyone else to commit violence against. (Escaping, maybe)

I would have gotten out of the way as fast as possible and not stop til I found cover. Wouldnt draw.

As a few others have said.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I think you handled it well. I would have just removed myself from harms way and been ready to draw, but I don't think I would have drawn. Good reaction though, plus out of quick thinking or luck on your part, your weak side was facing the car so they never saw anything happening. As with the others, a flashlight is a good thing to have.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

What if it had been a "slick" doing burglary patrol and your standing there with your gun out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links