Little road rage incident

This is a discussion on Little road rage incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am helping pick up kids for our churches Vacation Bible School this week. Another member is doing the driving and I am getting in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little road rage incident

Little road rage incident

I am helping pick up kids for our churches Vacation Bible School this week. Another member is doing the driving and I am getting in and out to open the van door and help the smaller ones get in the van. The other member has had several back surgeries so he's not real mobile.
    After we drop off the last kids we are heading back to the church to return the van. We stop at a light and are in the left turn lane. The road we are turning on is the approach to a bridge over a river. It's a one way three lanes wide that merges two to lanes at the bridge.
    The left turn light is green but the far right lane of the road we are turning on is backed up almost to the intersection as a boat had just gone though the drawbridge and backed up traffic. The middle and left lanes are not as full so several cars could still make the left onto the one way.
    The pickup in front of us sits at the light even thoght there is no traffic coming from the opposite direction. I wasn't really even thinking about the guy not going as I wasn't driving.
    The van driver however gives a couple of quick taps on the horn to get the guy's attention. (That's an understatment.)
    The truck turns into the middle lane and we turn into the left lane.
    After about a block we get up even with the truck. The right and middle lanes have to merge so now we are on the bridge and we get next to the truck. The driver starts yelling and making that universal one finger hand gesture to let us know how unhappy he is.

I have my window up since the AC is on. The van driver just gives the guy a wave and smile. I figure no point in making it any worse so I mostly just look ahead. I do keep a watch on the guy out of the corner of my eye in case he decides to esculate it by throwing something at the van. He is motioning for me to roll the window down, which I of course do not do. He is so busy yelling at us he almost rear ends the car in front of him when it stops due to the heavy traffic from the boat. I thought, well that would have been funny had he wrecked his truck, but unfortunate for the person he would have hit.

After the bridge he turns right on the first street and appears to stop as if he is waiting for us to follow him so we can all get out and continue the incident. We just drive back to the church and mention that to the pastor that he might get a phone call from a hot head, since the van has the church name on it.

I didn't say much to the van driver, although I personally would not have honked in the first place. Before I started carrying I probably would have, but now I just figure it's not worth causing issues like that.

For the record I did have my snub nose in my pocket, but wasn't going for it unless the guy managed to run us off the road or something simular.

I will however be a little more alert tonight at VBS since the guy knows the name of the church.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    sounds like a non-event to me...popping the car in front of him probably would have left me laughing out loud but as you said unfortuante for the guy he hit....especially in his state of mind...

sometimes all you can do is let people vent...let em let off some steam and go about their business...i might have showed him my cell phone and let him know i would be happy call the police if he had a complaint for them....

let em vent, and hope karma comes early...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Stay alert, hope this guy cools off and lets it go.

Thanks for helping the little ones with VBS.

I can't believe that someone would act that way towards a group of kids in a church van.

A car horn has a purpose. If used for that purpose, then there isn't much cause for being upset. The hothead has no right to lash out at others like that, for any reason. The mere fact people do lash out hardly makes a horn a tool of attack.

In this cesspool of a society we're witnessing coming into being, there are so many ugly things bubbling to the "surface" that it's hard to not get any on you. About the only way to do that is to stay indoors completely ... and that's not on the list of choices.

Stay alert. Stay prepared. Stay safe.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For some people, a little drivers license psychological testing would be a good thing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A car horn has a purpose. If used for that purpose, then there isn't much cause for being upset. The hothead has no right to lash out at others like that, for any reason. The mere fact people do lash out hardly makes a horn a tool of attack.

In this cesspool of a society we're witnessing coming into being, there are so many ugly things bubbling to the "surface" that it's hard to not get any on you. About the only way to do that is to stay indoors completely ... and that's not on the list of choices.

Stay alert. Stay prepared. Stay safe.
    Well said.
    When asked if the fans that ran on the field naked were men or women, Yogi replied "I don't know, they had bags over their heads."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "And then the guy driving the church van honked at me."

LEO: "OK then..."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I wish we had a 'polite horn' to use in traffic to politely ask idots to get off their phone and drive. Something that wouldn't automatically cause rage, like a chime loud enough to be heard but not obnoxious. Of course this in addition to the warning honker for those other situations.

I am patient and have sat through a few greens just waiting. Usually I'm wagering with myself if he will wake up and drive through on yellow leaving me for another spin around the pretty lights. But when younger I have flushed red in anger at a honk, now it's embarrassment for being one of THOSE old farts!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    making that universal one finger hand gesture to let us know how unhappy he is.
    I'm going to start to use that lol
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I would have started praying for god to "smite" him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Update, no problem with the guy showing up at VBS the rest of the week. I did notice though that my co-driver seems to be a little less patient than I am. For several good reasons he and his wife have never had kids.
    I think he is a fine guy, and a stand up devote Christian, but I think he lacks experience dealing with children, even though he has many nieces and nephews.
    Perhaps it's me, and after raising my two daughters I have either learned to let kids be kids to a point, and to chose your battles or your life just becomes one long battle. Maybe I was a little too lenient with them, I don’t know. Several times he reacted faster and harder to noise and actions by the kids on the bus. They were not being perfect, but they also didn’t need and a harsh correction.
    Yesterday as we were crossing the same bridge the incident happened on, at about the same time, he honked the horn at someone. I didn’t see who or why he was honking. I thought, gee maybe he saw the same truck again and is trying to throw some fuel on the fire. He didn’t say anything, and I didn’t see any reaction by any nearby vehicles, so I just shrugged it off.

Glad to see it went well! I have taught VBS several years and hope we never have an incedent with an angry armed intruder....
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

glad this turned out to be a non event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links