In the mall

In the mall

This is a discussion on In the mall within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're in the mall, you and your spouse looking in store windows, it's 8:55pm, so it's pretty empty as the stores are getting ready to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the mall

In the mall

You're in the mall, you and your spouse looking in store windows, it's 8:55pm, so it's pretty empty as the stores are getting ready to close. You approach the jewelry store window, and see as a man draws his handgun, apparently barking orders. The store associate is frozen, so the aggressor starts pistol whipping the store associate. He has no accomplice, as you can see he is alone. The second store associate is at the other side of the store. Now the beating stops, and he aims the gun at the associate, He's about 5 feet from his target, who is still frozen, seemingly in fear or shock. You are not in the aggressor's line of sight, and neither is the entrance to the store, which is 10 feet from you, and 20 feet from the aggressor.
    Your move.

Call 911 and observe, if loss of innocent life is imminent, draw and shoot through the window.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Tell the wife to beat feet as fast as she can and call 911 on her cell, advise what is happening and my description and clothing. I seriously doubt that they will arrive befor its over, but that's ok.

Draw and move to the door. Using the doorway as cover/concealment, take a bead on him and yell, "Hey". There is a very high probability that when he turns to look/confront his gun will also, moving off the victim. Shoot until the threat is gone.

Go home

Call mall security and put mall ninjas on standby...have them tackle him....obviously this guy did not see the sign prohibiting "illegal firearms"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Go home
    Really? You wouldn't even call the cops?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Tell the wife to beat feet as fast as she can and call 911 on her cell, advise what is happening and my description and clothing. I seriously doubt that they will arrive befor its over, but that's ok.

Draw and move to the door. Using the doorway as cover/concealment, take a bead on him and yell, "Hey". There is a very high probability that when he turns to look/confront his gun will also, moving off the victim. Shoot until the threat is gone.
    I agree with this
    NRA Member

Lets see, he has already shown he is willing to do serious injury by pistol whipping one associate. He now has a gun aimed at another person. I think in this case I would not bother to yell "Hey" and draw his attention. Why would I want to give him a chance to send a round toward me?
    If I have a clear shot with no worrys about anyone past the bad guy in the line of fire I would think this would be a justified shoot. In Michigan we can use deadly force to prevent death or serious injury to another person. Given that he does not know I am there, if I have enough confidence I might try for a side of the head/temple shot to put im down instantly. Perhaps someone else can confirm if this is the best shot to avoid him pulling the trigger on the clerk out of reflex when he gets hit.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Call 911 and observe, if loss of innocent life is imminent, draw and shoot through the window.
    i hope you were thinking the window was open...cause youre gonna make one heck of a mess and probably miss your mark with that one....

A couple things.
    The "Hey" is to pull his muzzle off the victim, should he not be completely imobilized by my first shot. Having at the least some concealment, will make target acquisition more difficult for him, providing time for more shots befor he can engage me. Warning him is not the intention.
    I have seen the side base of the ear (apricot) head shot be an instant imobilizer, but that was a rifle round. With the frequency and rapidity of head movement, as seen from the side, combined with using a pistol round, I would not be confident of the instant results desired.

Hold my CWP badge in my left land, my glock in the right, and order the BG to drop the gun, get on the ground and place his hands on his head.......

No seriously, be a good witness. Call the police, get a good ID, whip out your camera phone and take a video. Its not our responsibility to charge into every situation as super heros. Now, if i were in the jewelry store and he was waving a gun around, thats a very different story.

+1...Minimal number of people in the mall. Only two associates in the store. BG has pistol whipped one, who now is most probably down on the floor and out of the way of gunfire, already demonstrating his propensity to violence. First priority is getting wife AWAY from situation and having 911 called so LEO's can respond. Second priority is to do something to stop the BG from hurting/killing the associates in the store. I agree, draw and move to doorway. As Gloves said, the yell of "HEY" will be sufficient to draw his attention away from the associate that is at gunpoint. If the associate has any wits aabout them, then they will take this opportunity to try to escape/seek cover. Not that you didn't have a shot prior to yelling, but you now definitely have the shot and it must be taken to STOP the threat... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I agree with Guantes & First Sgt.

However, I would most likely let the wife take the shot. (She shoots better than most men I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Go home
    Dude your killing me, I laughed so hard....

I have to agree with first sqt on this one.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    Hold my CWP badge in my left land, my glock in the right, and order the BG to drop the gun, get on the ground and place his hands on his head........
    When do you put on your CCW sash??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links