Not my job

This is a discussion on Not my job within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by carguy2244 Your continue to see the focus of this thread as my experiences, as opposed to morality and values. You divert attention ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Not my job

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    Your continue to see the focus of this thread as my experiences, as opposed to morality and values.

You divert attention from your indefensible position by putting words in my mouth. Did I say I find evil everywhere? Did I say I used a firearm with impunity? Did I suggest subordinating the safety of family for unknown circumstances? No, of course I didn't. There's a phrase in a previous post in this thread that described your m.o. to a tee - "ad hominem." I actually had to look up "ad hominem." It means defending your position by finding flaws in the character of your adversary. Well, trust me, I have plenty of flaws -but apathy isn't one of them - so if a stranger is in peril, I help.

The thread is about intervening on behalf of a stranger. Many feel their own safety to be too big a sacrifice to intervene, so they run or use a cell phone, and you're clearly in that camp. Don't rationalize your position challenging my decisions - you'd leave a stranger in need to avoid jeopardizing your safety. You said it. Live with it.
    Intriguing that you define and discuss ad hominem in your second paragraph, and then engage in it in the third.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Can we put this thread to rest? It's getting a bit too personal and heated.

There are those who put their personal safety and liability concerns ahead of intervening in behalf of others, and there are those who do not. Neither will change the mind of the other. It's a personal choice. Make a decision; live with the consequences.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Your continue to see the focus of this thread as my experiences, as opposed to morality and values.

You divert attention from your indefensible position by putting words in my mouth. Did I say I find evil everywhere? Did I say I used a firearm with impunity? Did I suggest subordinating the safety of family for unknown circumstances? No, of course I didn't. There's a phrase in a previous post in this thread that described your m.o. to a tee - "ad hominem." I actually had to look up "ad hominem." It means defending your position by finding flaws in the character of your adversary. Well, trust me, I have plenty of flaws -but apathy isn't one of them - so if a stranger is in peril, I help.

The thread is about intervening on behalf of a stranger. Many feel their own safety to be too big a sacrifice to intervene, so they run or use a cell phone, and you're clearly in that camp. Don't rationalize your position challenging my decisions - you'd leave a stranger in need to avoid jeopardizing your safety. You said it. Live with it.
    Funny...I don't have to defend my position....it's an individual decision based on personal circumstances. I'm not saying you're right or wrong....that is not for me to judge or decide.

However when I asked for your experience in this matter (defense of others)--all we get from you is bluster and misdirection. Since this is at least the second dodge to answer my question directly, I'd say you don't have any practical first-hand experience to which you alluded to when you stated "I don't advertise"...

Now, one thing I've learned in my years of experience, is to discern when to intervene...and when not to. It seems you are putting words into my mouth when you say "[I] would leave a stranger in need to avoid jeopardizing [my] safety."--I think you really need to go back and look...I believe I used the term "totality of circumstances" in a few posts. To clarify, when deployed or in regards to my duties and responsibilities in garrison--I'm that guy you want going through the door or to call to for help...at home, I already have the responsibility to my family...that includes the guy/gal who wears USAF/USA/USMC/USN/USCG on their shirt...but some stranger on the street? Discernment is a key word.

However, if you are not married and do not have any children (i.e. no responsibilities to anyone but yourself), I can see how you can be cavalier in your attitude against those who have these responsibilities--you have no one relying on you...no one to be held accountable to...no one who would be affected by your absence. But they...that's fine too.

I do find this entertaining...because some guy on the internet disagrees with me (not unusual), but when he/she is asked to provide bona fides on experience, it's seen as an attack.

To review--words you should be aware of:
    - Totality of circumstances
    - Discernment

...at least, that is what MY EXPERIENCE has taught me. Please share yours.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Can we put this thread to rest? It's getting a bit too personal and heated.

There are those who put their personal safety and liability concerns ahead of intervening in behalf of others, and there are those who do not. Neither will change the mind of the other. It's a personal choice. Make a decision; live with the consequences.
    The sad part is, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind...it's a personal decision.

I'm asking carguy's experience to which he speaks (because it appears he looks down upon us as being immoral from his mountain of experience)....I'd say it looks like ZERO experience from someone who wishes it were so.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Wheres the Smiley for tossing a bucket of water on a thread?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Sig,
    The thread is about acting in defense of others. I have, and will again if necessary. I'm not as discerning as you. Thankfully.

Sig,
    The thread is about acting in defense of others. I have, and will again if necessary. I'm not as discerning as you. Thankfully.
    So what happened??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    So what happened??
    Don't you know? that's classified.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

There is a continuum of possible situations that could be encountered. Four possible categories of "getting involved":

1. Most likely not.
    You're wise enough to know better.

2. Probably not.
    Watch, maybe ask a question. Maybe call it in. Maybe do nothing.

3. Your call.
    Depends on all kinds of stuff. Where you are, who you're with, what you're carrying, odds of success vs risk of failure.

4. No thinking required.
    You respond automatically.

Perhaps some of the strong exchanges here are due to confusion over which category of situation is being envisioned.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Public transportation system. Woman was being accosted. I stepped in, got stabbed, choked him out. Gun wasn't drawn. Assailant arrested. I got stitched up.

Visiting a local pawn shop. Armed robber entered, "stick em up". He held gun pointed at owner, didn't watch me. I shot 2 times to times to midsection w 357 Colt Lawman (if that tells you how long ago this was). Dropped him, which is hard to understand, because he lived, got convicted and got 7 years. I was arrested, DA dropped charges. Cost $4000 for attorney.

Administrator
    Will I run out of patience before I run out of popcorn or will I run out of popcorn prior to running out of patience?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Public transportation system. Woman was being accosted. I stepped in, got stabbed, choked him out. Gun wasn't drawn. Assailant arrested. I got stitched up.

Visiting a local pawn shop. Armed robber entered, "stick em up". He held gun pointed at owner, didn't watch me. I shot 2 times to times to midsection w 357 Colt Lawman (if that tells you how long ago this was). Dropped him, which is hard to understand, because he lived, got convicted and got 7 years. I was arrested, DA dropped charges. Cost $4000 for attorney.
    Interesting. Wise DA. And the charges you were arrested for? I'm assuming defending yourself (or others) wasn't a crime at the time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've never stood back yet on anything, so ... why start now.

I have to say that one thing some have asked / told me later, "why did you do that .... no one else would have .... and because of that I"m alive". Because , it was the "right" thing to do.

That sir, I"ll take to my grave with me .... and smile , that I made a difference, more than once ..... in someone's life.

Risks ? You bet there has been, but I also had to live with myself afterwards.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Charged with discharging a weapon in city limits.

Surely we have links?

Links? To what?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links