Defensive Carry banner

Not my job

10K views 156 replies 54 participants last post by  kpw 
#1 ·
I hear a lot of talk about "Rights" on these forums, but very little about duties and obligations. So I wanted to share this with all those who insist that standing up doing the right thing in the face of evil is not their job. Some go as far as being insulting making disparaging remarks about those that do stand up to stop an assault, robbery, rape or murder. There are those who proudly advocate running and hiding as if that is the honorable thing to do, again insulting anyone who would do otherwise. Remember all the snide insults thrown at Joe Horn when he stood up for his neighbors property. Not just by the media and Al Sharpton but by many on these boards as well.

I was raised differently. I was taught we are all citizens of a community and a nation. As citizens we have duties and obligations to each other. Being an American is not just about rights and privileges we are entitled to but also about responsibilities, duties and obligations to each other. Looking out for each other is our job, not the governments. Liberty and Freedom are not free.

Would be warriors in waiting Getting help when you need it
Sir Robert Peel, “The Father of Modern Policing.” proclaimed, “...the police are the public and the public are the police: the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties, which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interest of community welfare and existence.”

A History of Citizen Assistance
In 1966, on the University of Austin Campus there was a citizen, who assisted Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy, when they confronted Charles Whitman, the tower sniper.

In 1970 a citizen picked up one of the four downed officers’ guns and drove off their attackers with gun fire in Newhall California, where those four officers died.

There were citizens who assisted — and even gave their lives — alongside police officers and fire fighters at the World Trade Center on September 11th.

In 2007, inside a Wendy’s in Salt Lake City Eric Fullerton, a Vietnam Veteran and former member of the 101st Airborne Division disarmed and restrained a vicious cop killer and held him until officers arrived to arrest the suspect.
Obviously the article is talking about the REQUIREMENT of citizens to aid police when asked to do so. I of course am asserting that we are also REQUIRED to act in defense of others. If not by law than my moral obligation, national duty and honor, if being an American is to mean anything. That is what has always made America Great because we have, the best people on earth. Yes, we ARE better than the rest if we live up to what it is to be an American.

This me first. Standing by doing nothing, let the government police handle it IS what has brought this nation to where are today. WE, you and I are the ones responsible for the increasingly oppressive government and rampant crime that identifies our country today. Doing nothing makes us complicit in the crime and loss of liberty. The criminal depends upon citizens to aid and abet them by doing nothing. The government depends upon citizens wanting to be taken care of protected to justify stripping us of our liberties and rights.

Martin Luther King, Jr once said
Martin Luther King said:
"Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?'

And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because... one's conscience tells one that it is right."
So when you see an evil act being committed before running away and hiding consider is it REALLY the RIGHT thing to do. Is it how you would want others to act if it was your wife, mother or daughter being victimized. Even that bone headed neighbor is an American and deserves to be treated with respect not only by the government but even more so by each of us.

See less See more
#154 ·
Wow what a read, lots of good and some not so good thoughts going on here !
Just a few little things to think about, every situation is different, that's why the LEO can't be trained for every situation, he/she gets trained some to think fast on his/her feet, and do what's right for the
current situatiion, believe me you get grilled in these types of situations during oral boards for advancement, ie from patrolmen to watch commander, you better have the right answers.
But this is in an office of your experienced seniors, board members, members of your chain of command. You still have to think for yourself and be ready for the monday morning quarterbacking that
will happen in any bad situation, thankfully in my experience the board was made up of only other senior Military LEO's. so the been there done that mentality helped out. They know you have to
be the one making the final decision on anything you do, how hard you slam them down on the ground to cuff them, where and how hard you used your battan, if you had to draw your service weapon.
If you managed to stay within the spirit of the law in the handling of the situation, including the statement that you double locked the cuffs. If you followed your training and did it right, then you went home
feeling better. I hope I'm not rambling here, but our department seniors had a few sayings such as, Do what you got to do !. And explain it later if someone is beefing the issue.
So for you non experienced civilian types, Non Military or non Leo, you are still going to be judged by your actions, so do the best you can if you have to, just pray that you never have to use
deadly force. It's painful for everybody no matter their backround or training, military or civilian Leo. it's painful so Think real hard about ever using your firearm for anything. Remember, you don't get
a redo in real life so once you get involved in any shoot situation no matter the outcome, you have to live with this the rest of your life.

Remember this one. Do what you have to Do !

Duane USN/ret

#157 ·
My job is raising my family and living life the best I can. Part of that is being able to look myself in the mirror and know that I've tried to be the best man I can. The only recognition I care about is what is in my children's faces. I doubt I could look them in the eyes and not feel shame and disgust for myself if I didn't help someone in true peril if I had the means to. If some may feel that is foolish, idiotic or stupid, that's ok, I'm not looking at you in the mirror.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.